Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

NAPOLEON BERCIER (1859-1918)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
MSM

Re: NAPOLEON BERCIER (1859-1918)

Post by MSM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:56 pm

I am trying to find out information on my maternal grandmother Annie Bercier who lived in Minnedosa, Brandon, and Elphinstone. My father is Lloyd MacElheron and he was born in 1940 or 1942. All my grandmother's sisters are buried in the North Dakota Indian Reserve.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:44 am

We need more clues MSM.
When and where was Annie BERCIER born?
Do you know who her parents were? (There are so many to choose from)
Can you name any of her siblings? Birthdates and places are always good clues.

MSM

Post by MSM » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:56 am

Your help to fill in the holes would be appreciated especially to help me trace my ancestry and connections to the Red River.
Here is the information I received from my Aunt Betty Ann Macelheron who is my father's sister and the daughter of Annie Bercier. We know that my grandmother was native and she looked native and we know that my dad, his brothers and my aunt grew up being called half breed. My grandmother's birth certificate just states French Canadian.

Here is the information I have:

my grandmother is Annie Bernier born Dec 19, 1921 in Horod, Manitoba and she married my grandfather William Henry Macelheron in Elphinstone, Manitoba on August 13, 1939-he was recorded as Irish, and her father was Zachariah Bercier and his residence was recorded as 33-19-21 in the province of manitoba. Racial origin of father was noted as French Canadian and his birth place is stated as White Horse Plains, St. Francis Xavier, White Horse Plains, Manitoba and he was noted as a farm labourer. Her mother was Mary Thorn (other documents state Marie Anne Thorn) also noted as French Canadian and her age was 30. Her mother Mary Thorn was noted as being born on Pilot Mound? Manitoba. Noted as having 6 living children,1 dead. It noted Zachariah and Mary Thorn were married in ClearLake Manitoba on Feb. 19, 1906. It was noted Mary Thorn's mother Mrs. Geo? Thorn was the attendant at birth of my grandmother. This was on the official nice of birth from the province of manitoba. #045824 and signed by my great grandfather Zachariah Bernier and his address was Elphinstone. Mary Ann Thorn died Dec. 5, 1986.

My great grandfather Zacariah's baptism certificate noted:
Zacharie Bernier was the child of William Bercier and Madeleine La Freniere and was born on August 11, 1881 at Saint Francis Xavier, Manitoba and he was baptized August 13, 1881 at St. Francois Xavier Church in Manitoba by Father FX. Kavanaugh P.P. and sponsored by Napoleon Bernier and Ursual Marium?

William Bercier Zachariah's father was born June 25, 1854 near St. Jose Manitoba and died April 26, 1936 in St. John, North Dakota.
Madeleine La Fernier was born Sept. 1, 1879 and died in 1903.

William Bercier was the son of Baptiste Bercier and Marie St. Pierre. Baptiste Bercier was born in 1808 and my aunt states that this is connected to the Genealogy of the First Metis Nation. Marie St. Pierre was born around 1815.
Baptiste Bercier was the son of Alexis Bercier and Josephte Saulteaux (noted her race is Indian). Everyone else is noted as Metis.
Alexis Bercier Born in 1771 is noted as Canada Race- Metis. and Josephte Saulteaux (Race Indian) was born 1783 and died 1853. My aunt Betty Ann Macelheron has completed all this research and I hope you can tie it in and let me know how this all connects. My Aunt Betty Ann has noted that Saulteaux is the name of her tribe for Josephte Saulteaux and this was common practice back then for native people to use their tribe name as their surname. She noted also that Saulteaux, Ojibwa and Chippewa were the same people but the different names identified the specific area they were from for example Saulteaux was Red River Settlement area in Manitoba, Ojibwa was Ontario and Quebec, and Chippewa was North Dakota. All my grandmother's sisters (Annie Bernier) are buried on the North Dakota Indian Reserve across the border from Manitoba.

The other side of my family as below:

My great grandmother Marie Ann Thorn was born Dec. 6, 1891 and the vital statistics form from Manitoba with the Clerk of the Municipality Louise states Ship 4 R11 West. Her father is noted as George S?orR?or V? Thorn and her mother was Mary Lilley. Her father George Thorn was noted as a farmer. Signed by T. Campcan Petre at St. Aephouse on August 3, 1892.

My grandfather William Henry MacElheron (Annie Bernier's husband) was born on the N.E. 1/4 section of Sec. 21 Range 16 Twp. 17. He was born May 3, 1919. His father was William Henry MacElheron and was born in Minnedosa, Manitoba. His notice of birth showed it was written he was Canadian and then it was scratched across and English was written instead. It was noted he was born in West Hope Manitoba. and that he was a section hand on C.P. His mother was Violet Harriet Hopkins and she was born in Minnedosa, Manitoba and she was noted as being born in Clan William and had one other living child at the time and no dead children. It was noted they were married on the N.E. 1/4 section 31 Range 16 Twp. 17 on March 27th 1918.

His birth certificate had an oath by Mary Jane Hopkins who swore she was the grandmother of William Henry MacElheron on De. 16, 1920.

Any help to connect all of this together to my Metis heritage and Red River would be sincerely appreciated.
All of the information above is courtesy of my Aunt Betty Ann Macelheron who has worked on this.

Sincerely,

MSM

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:21 pm

MSM – Check out your BERCIER forefather at this link:
ALEXIS BERCIER (1772-1840)
Note: I often work with people to do Family Pages relating to their particular lineages. More about that at this link:
SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

MSM

Post by MSM » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:03 pm

Thank you Gary!
I appreciate your time to review and direct me to a page on Alexis Bercier.
Sincerely
MSM