Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Elizabeth 'Betsy' Sinclair 1868

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Bonnie o.c.

Re: Elizabeth 'Betsy' Sinclair 1868

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:40 am

gnstill wrote:I have no idea where the Indian Burial Grounds are. First time I ever heard of that one. I wonder who posted that? If you find out, please let me know too.

I was born Dec 22, 1939. You can read all about me on the Home Page at: RED RIVER ANCESTRY HOME PAGE
or GARY STILL FAMILY PAGE

My interest in the CLEMONS family comes from my being a very close chum of Glen CLEMONS and Sammy SINCLAIR. Glen and I both went to the Mapleton School together when the old St Clements Church Hall was temporarily used as a High School because there was no room for us in the Selkirk schools.

Was your maiden name OLSON? I think I know now where you fit into the Tree. I have been trying to find the birth-date and parents for an Ernie OLSEN/ OLSON who married Alice SABISTON.
My Fathers name is Ernest Gudjon Olson (Ernie, Fatty). He was born Jan.25, 1907 and died April 30, 1977. His parents are Peter Theodore Olson (Swede) and Gudny (Jenny) Erickson (Icelandic). My Mother's full name is Stella (Alice) Winnifred Sabiston, born Sept.18, 1916, died April 18, 1996. I have trees on both sides and are very extensive!

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:08 am

Bonnie o.c. wrote:
gnstill wrote:I have sent you an Email separately regarding photo scanning, etc.

I see you are about the same age as me; I'll be 73 next December.

Breezy Point is north of Selkirk, not far south of where Netley Creek empties into the Red River. Chief PEGUIS and his followers had a village in that area not long after they first arrived in Manitoba.

Do you live in Manitoba?
Sorry, but I know where Breezy Point is. I love that place. I was wondering about the "Breezy Point Indian Burial Grounds". I've never heard of them. It's http://www.canadagenweb.org cemetery project, who is looking for information on it.
I was born December 1938, the year Ralph Clemons died.
Yes, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. My parents and all of us kids, 7, were all born in Selkirk. My father is Swedish and Icelandic.
Where do you live?
Check out the above site www.canadagenweb.org....cemetery project for query about Breezy Point Indian Burial Grounds...

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:16 pm

gnstill wrote:Hello Bonnie; great to hear from you! There were two different people with the name William SINCLAIR in my information. They are described as follows:

1) William SINCLAIR (born either May 1, 1857 or Dec 25, 1860) married Feb 6, 1882 to Ann Elizabeth FAVEL, daughter of Sophia COCHRANE & Humphrey FAVEL (1821-1888). This William and his wife were recorded continuously in the Petersfield area in censuses 1891, 1901, 1906, 1911 and 1916. No children appeared in any of the censuses. In the 1901 census they did have an adopted daughter with them, but this was their niece, Catherine SINCLAIR, daughter of Peter SINCLAIR (William’s brother) and Jane Harriet FAVEL (Ann Elizabeth’s sister).

2) William SINCLAIR (born around 1856) married Ann Elizabeth THOMAS and had about 6 children. This William and his family lived in the St Peters Reserve where William served as a councillor for the Band. The CLEMONS family also lived in the Reserve.

I would dearly love to have a copy of the wedding picture, or any other pictures related to Ralph CLEMONS. It would be nice to add a good picture to their Family Page. Is it possible that you could get scans made to send me?
The No.1 William Sinclair is the one I have from the Metis Federation, and they give his full name as William Archibald Sinclair. I can't find anything on him. He was never regisitered with the HBC as far as I know.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:28 am

I’m sorry Bonnie! I cannot for the life of me find the Métis Federation record you are referring to regarding a William Archibald SINCLAIR. In order to follow up on that I need more specific details (dates, etc) on this person. Is there some way you can provide a copy of what you found or a specific source that I can access?

I too am having difficulty with several references to the name William SINCLAIR born around the same time and place (1856 to 1859) in St Andrews/ St Peters parishes and would love to solve the puzzle. One indicates his wife as Ann Elizabeth FAVEL, another as Ann Elizabeth THOMAS, The THOMAS one is particularly baffling and I am beginning to think some of the information from these sources are simply outright errors!

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:43 am

gnstill wrote:I’m sorry Bonnie! I cannot for the life of me find the Métis Federation record you are referring to regarding a William Archibald SINCLAIR. In order to follow up on that I need more specific details (dates, etc) on this person. Is there some way you can provide a copy of what you found or a specific source that I can access?

I too am having difficulty with several references to the name William SINCLAIR born around the same time and place (1856 to 1859) in St Andrews/ St Peters parishes and would love to solve the puzzle. One indicates his wife as Ann Elizabeth FAVEL, another as Ann Elizabeth THOMAS, The THOMAS one is particularly baffling and I am beginning to think some of the information from these sources are simply outright errors!
My brother had our tree done at the Metis Culture and Heritage resource Centre Inc., 504-63 Albert St., Winnipeg MB. They gave him: "William Archibald Sinclair, b. Abt. 1856. He married Ann Elizabeth Favel, married 6 Feb. 1882 in St. Peter's Dynevor." "Ann Elizabeth Favel b. 1856 marrried 1. Unknown O'Brian. she married 2. James Brown, on 5 June 1872 in St. Andrew's Anglican, b. abt 1842. She married 3. William Archibald Sinclair 6 Feb. 1882 in St. Peter's Dynevor, b. abt. 1856. "Ann Elizabeth Favel's parents are Humphrey Favel b. abt. 1818/20, d. 16 Oct. 1894. and Sophia cochrane born abbt. 1823, d. Jul 24, 1888 St. Peter's Dynevor, E. Selkirk MB" I have more on Humphrey and Sophia.....

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Excellent Bonnie! We’re both on the same track now. William SINCLAR (1) is definitely our man. The news to me are Ann Elizabeth’s previous marriages to O’BRIEN and James BROWN. I have a couple of possibilities for BROWN but nothing on O’BRIAN. Can you tell me more about them?

William SINCLAIR b-1857 was the son of Maria LAMBERT & George SINCLAIR. Click on this link to see more: FAMILY PAGE for GEORGE SINCLAIR (1831-1890)

P.S. You don’t have to re-quote the previous posting every time you reply; simply press the ‘postreply’ button.

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm

I have no more information on William and Elizabeth other than descendants. I'm very happy to hear that we do agree on Elizabeth being a Favel. I did a lot of research on Humphrey Favel and his family. The Metis Resource Center have traced him all the way back to England, then to Canada with the HBC and a marriage of John Favel to Tittameg!! :-) They married about 1770 in York Factory.
Oh and thanks for the information on William Archibald Sinclairs parents. I don't know if I have that on file....
Others in my tree are Cochrane, Erasmus, Bear, Budd, Slater, a different Brown, and more....And that's just my Mother's Maternal side. Her father is Lawrence Sabiston.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 am

I also have the FAVEL lineage back to Titameg & John FAVEL, some of which I just haven’t posted yet.

However, I do have a Family Page for Ann Elizabeth’s grandfather Thomas FAVEL, (Father of Humphrey FAVEL b-1821) at this link: THOMAS FAVEL (1781-1848)
I also have the John FAVEL lineage: JOHN FAVEL (1872-1948)

I have never had a problem with the William SINCLAIR – Ann Elizabeth FAVEL marriage. My problem is more with the fact that they don’t seem to have had any children together. You have indicated that your Great Grandmother Mary Elizabeth “Mope” SINCLAIR was one of their children and I guess that is where I am having a problem. Do you have more specific details about Mope with supporting references? I’d love to solve that puzzle.

There was however another William SINCLAIR born around the same time who did marry an Ann Elizabeth THOMAS. At least three of her children are identified in Manitoba Vital Stats. I am more inclined to believe that these may have been Mope’s parents.

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:09 am

I have no more info. on Mope's parents. Metis Culture and Heritage gave my brother the Favel info., without their source of info. I can't challenge them unless I pay them. My brother may be able to because he was the one who paid to have the tree done by them. As for my brother, he is being a jerk and I don't talk to him anymore...
Are you in contact with Lyn Clemons in St. Peter's? He may know something.
When my Aunt Toots Clemons gave me the picture of Elizabeth (Betsy), I'm sure I mentioned the Favel name and she didn't comment. However when I mentioned Brown, she said that Betsy wasn't married before Sinclair. That could just be Toot's opinion, as she was quite protective of all family members. She said they called her "Baitsy", the Cree accent. I know that Toots and Ed Clemons went to Treaty Days in Peguis. That would be the "new" Reserve, close to Hudson, I believe. So if they went there, I'm guessing that that's where Betsy lived and died, and that's where the rest of the Sinclair family moved when the Reserve was moved. Therefore, there may be Sinclairs on the now Peguis Reserve who would know more about her?

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am

Judging by the way Toots spoke, it seemed that she knew Betsy, and that's possible. Betsy (Elizabeth) was born 1856, and Toots was born 1920. Betsy would have been about 76 years old then. If Betsy lived close to 100 years old, that would give a date of death about 1956. Now, if we can find where and when Betsy died, we may find out her maiden name. I'm inclined to believe that she lived in new Peguis with the Sinclair family. I don't know any Sinclairs, do you??
On the George Sinclair and Maria Lambert site, you have "1882 William married Ann Elizabeth Favel"........did you post that after I gave you info., or before we got in touch??