Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

ROBERT MOAR aka MOORE (1856-1952)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

ROBERT MOAR aka MOORE (1856-1952)

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:38 pm

New Family Page: ROBERT MOAR aka MOORE (1856-1952)

Please post comments & queries about Harriet, Robert and their family here.

gonzo1956

Re: ROBERT MOAR aka MOORE (1856-1952)

Post by gonzo1956 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:23 pm

Hi, I posted more info. under the other topic of John robert Moore before this one. The forum sure looks great. Im currently trying to find Roberts work record at the Archives. In 1870 he was away working with HBC delivering mail by dog sled, he would leave Lower Fort Gary and travel up to Athabaska and Peace river district. He was with HBC until around 1877. I have a document stating this info.It is from the Department of the interior dominion lands branch.As he was away at that time , his father John Moore appied for him as head of houshold but when he returned he did not receive his land so he went down to this department. He also worked as an orderly at the old Selkirk hospital,not sure what year. He later moved with his parents John and Nancy as well as Peter his only surviving son to Ponemah,then further south to Chalet Beach area where he fished and then to Matlock where he lived with his son Peter and daughter inlaw Mabel Jenner. He is burried at the Robinson Spur Cemetary.
In 1879 Robert married Harriot Robillard, they had 3 sons,Thomas b) 1880,John b)1882 and Peter b)1883 all were baptised at the Mapleton church. In 1884 Harriot died and sometime after 1885 and 1890 thomas and John died,they are all burried at the Mapleton cemetery.Accordinly to Harriots claim she was born in St. Andrews, her fathers name was Louis Robillard and mother Nancy. At that time she said her father was dead and her mother was at Norway house.
I have a picture of Robert and his son Peter, i have sent pictures through email but not through a forum, might take me awhile.
thanks
Colleen

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:53 am

Hi, very interesting...I too have that census that lists a William Moore living at Robert Moores address as well as Peter. No one seems to know who he is or where he came from as i have asked my dad and my uncle who is 93, my dad is 82. The only thing i can think of is that Robert had an afair , but there is no proof of that as far as the storys go he never remarried after his wife Harriot died. As i mentioned before my dad remembers playing with Ventrice Thomas children. Also i didn't know that Thomas Moore,Roberts son died at age 17. One census i have Thomas isn't there just Peter. Does your document say where he is burried and what happened to him. I had heard he died in a fire. let me know,thankyou , i have to go for now.
thanks colleen

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:29 pm

HI,
I have a census from 1891 and Thomas , Roberts son is there at age 11 , i also have a census from 1901 there is Peter age 17 but no Thomas.
Mabel (Jenner) Moore birth date was Feb.7 1895 and died May 25 1991.
My uncle Clarence Moore who was b)1919 was 7 years old when his aunt Margaret died and he remembers Thomas and Margaret well unfortunetly a few months ago we had to put him in a nurse home with Altzimers.
I have all their war records,by that i mean Peter from ww1 and his sons Stanley and Clarence from ww2. On Peters attestation is dated Jan.3 1915 and on his discharge papers it shows a date of Jan.1916 when he arrived and the date of discharge is at the bottom and is very hard to read, looks like march 23,1919.
When Donna Sutherland was at the MB Geneology Society she spoke with an elderly women
there and she told her she was a descendant of the Moar/Fiddler family,so now im trying to research this info.
thanks
colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Great information Colleen! I will do some more updates on the Robert MOORE Page later when I get more time, so I can add your comments. It would be nice to add some of the pictures you mentioned as well. They could be sent to me via Email attachments.

For the next few days though, I will be busy working on a Family Page for our illusive JOHN MOORE (Robert’s father). I’ll try to post some of it tomorrow, so save your comments about him until I have his page up and running.

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi again,
I was just about to email the pictures of Robert and John Moore when my computer crashed, also i was typing happy thanksgiving, so here is a late happy. Computers are great most of the time. So i will get back to you in a day or so when my computer is up and running.
thanks
Colleen

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,
At one point Robert lived in Selkirk and then Ponemah , then between Mcenzie road and Chalea Beach rd. There was a creek that ran behind his house that was called Moores creek, i remember the sign when i used to swim there as a kid but since then the lake has come up and now the sign has washed away and the creek is one big marsh.Roberts house is no longer there but the foundation is.Moores creek used to be on the old maps. From there he lived with his son Peter and Mabel on Hawthorn ave. in Matlock. Robert got cancer and my grandmother mabel put him on the train to the Selkirk hospital where he died and his body was sent back by train to Matlock where he was burried. There used to be records of every one burried at the Robinson Spur Church but the lady who looked after them,her house caught on fire and the records were destyroyed. I hope im not boring you with the story's that were passed down. Any way Robert was a religious man who carried a bible everywhere , even when went by dog sled with mail delivery to Peace river. This bible apparently fell into the river and robert got it out and i have that bible. It was his own religion that he believed in and when he died the church in Matlock didn't except him so the family just dug the burrial site themselves. In the 1980's at Lower Fort Gary there was some type of book there or journal that talked about him delivering the mail, i would like to locate that. I asked Fort Gary about it but all the information was sent to the archives so its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I have found some documents where Robert spelled his name Moar, the name seemed to have been changed when John retired to red river.
On a different note, Roberts son Peter who was married to Mabel drown on lake Winnipeg just before my dad was born. Mabel remarried when my dad was around 6 years old to John(Jack) Favel. They had no kids together. Peter Moore and Jack Favel were in ww1 together. I'll go for now
thanks
Colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Colleen: I got the pictures and they are great!

Those stories are also great. Just the kind of thing that enhances the web-pages; that's what people like instead of just a bunch of facts and figures.
I will incorporate some of your comments and pictures into the family pages as soon as I find time. I'm going to be busy for a while with all kinds of updates.
Thanks very, very much!
Gary

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi Gary
I'm glad you are interested here i thought i was boring you with all my info.
thanks again
Colleen

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi Gary,
Wondering where you got the date of Robert's son Thomas when he died and if it say's what he died from?
If you could get back to me when you have time.
thanks
Colleen