Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

MATTHEW TRUTHWAITE (1753-1793)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
butterfly

MATTHEW TRUTHWAITE (1753-1793)

Post by butterfly » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:16 pm

Hello, I am a descendant of Matthew Truthwaite, born 1753 and worked for the Hudson's Bay Company. His father's name was John. From what I have found so far, Matthew had 3 children; Edward, Jacob and Mary ( I am a descendant of Jacob). Edward returned to England with John Kipling. Do you know whatever happened to him?
Family stories I have heard tell of Matthew coming to Canada with his brother. Apparently on route, Matthew's brother turned back but Matthew kept on. Matthew arrived in Canada and his brother was never seen or heard from again. Do you know anything about Matthew's brother?

Jamie Pelletier

Family Page: MATTHEW TRUTHWAITE (1753-1793)

Please post comments & queries about Matthew and his family here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Matthew Truthwaite

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:26 am

Son Edward was baptized in London on Nov 12, 1792. I presume he was taken there to be educated, and since his father died soon later, he probably remained in England thereafter.
I wasn't aware that he had a brother, but HBC Archives indicate that Matthew had a sister named Hannah KIPLING. Where did you learn of the brother you mentioned?

Interesting that you are a descendant of Jacob TRUTHWAITE. My cousin, Connie CONRAD, was married to Victor TRUTHWAITE who was also a descendant of Jacob. Can you give us your lineage up to Jacob?

butterfly

Post by butterfly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:54 am

My understanding is that Hannah Kipling (wife of John Kipling) wasn't really Matthew's sister. I have seen a couple of debates over this! I saw your page on John Kipling that explains the possible relationship between John Kipling and Matthew Truthwaite.

Matthew worked for HBC

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/ ... atthew.pdf

His son, Jacob (1790-1873) married Elizabeth Vincent (1802-1875), dtr of Thomas Vincent. Jacob also worked for HBC

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/ ... _jacob.pdf

Jacob had a son named Thomas (1820-1899) who married Catherine McDermot (1827-1907), dtr of Andrew McDermot.
They had a son named Jacob (1855-1940) who married Sarah McDonald (1861-1943), dtr of Duncan McDonald. Sarah was Jacob's second wife. Jacob, Sarah and the family moved from the St. Andrews area to the Hodgson area, north of Winnnipeg, early in the 1900's. Their oldest son, Duncan Truthwaite (1887-1963) was my great-grandfather. (Jacob's brother, Andrew Truthwaite, married Sarah's sister, Hannah McDonald).

Apparently Jacob's first wife, Jane McDonald (1857-1882) was related to Sarah McDonald, possibly a cousin. I haven't been able to find much on Jane McDonald to confirm that.

The story of Matthew's brother is just that. It is a story that was put into a family tree book/binder that was passed around to the family (no sources). The closest I can find is a Henry Truthwaite, baptized 1753 in Roxby, Pickhill, Yorkshire, England, father named John. (no where near St. Marylbone, Middlesex, London, England where Matthew is supposed to be from) Just find that interesting, so I've been looking....
Jamie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Your info matches mine very well. I have not researched much beyond Matthew TRUTHWAITE in England.

I have Jacob TRUTHWAITE married to Sarah Swanson McDONALD b-1861, daughter of Elizabeth TAIT & Duncan McDONALD b-1825. I also do not so far have parents for Jane McDONALD.

According to Manitoba Vital Stats, Duncan TRUTHWAITE married Mar 20, 1922 Winnipeg to Edith Rosina HOOD. Does that ring a bell? I also have info on a Patrick HOOD who married Ruth Victoria SMITH who lived for a time in the Hodgson area (I went to school with their children).

butterfly

Post by butterfly » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:53 pm

Edith Rosina Hood is my great-grandmother, born in England and came to Canada in 1921. I don't know Patrick Hood. I think he may be from a different family.
That is the correct Sarah McDonald. Where does the "Swanson" come from? I have seen it in many family trees (eg: ancestry.com) but I have not seen it in any of the documents I have found so far.
Jamie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:19 am

I also got the ‘Swanson’ from several different postings on ancestry.com and the Mormons website, etc but I have not seen it in any official documents either.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I have just posted my page for Matthew. You will probably be interested in the information noted at the bottom of the page. Here's the link: MATTHEW TRUTHWAITE

I plan to also post a page for JACOB TRUTHWAITE in the next day of so.

butterfly

Post by butterfly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Thank you for posting Matthew Truthwaite's page. I look forward to seeing Jacob Truthwaite's page.
I have a family tree website. Do you mind if I post a link to your website's page?
Jamie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Not at all. I'd love to see it myself.

butterfly

Post by butterfly » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm

www.jamiesfamilytree.ca. You would have to register for a user account.
Jamie