Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

THOMAS SHAND (1868-1915)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

THOMAS SHAND (1868-1915)

Post by gnstill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:37 pm

Family Page: THOMAS SHAND (1868-1915)

Please post comments & queries about Thomas SHAND and his family here.

terrancebecht

Re: THOMAS SHAND (1868-1915)

Post by terrancebecht » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi,
I am the great grandson of Thomas Percy Shand and Lillian (Holscher) --I have more info on the three brothers of James H. Shand to fill in your narrative. Thomas did not live in Keene NH after the war. He headed west and ended up in Day County South Dakota by 1920 where he worked as a farm hand for Fred Holscher and had an affair with Fred's daughter Lillian (then 16) --he got her pregnant and was basically forced to marry her (I have heard family tales of a shotgun wedding). The marriage only lasted two years but resulted in the birth of my grandmother Virginia Bernadeen Shand Aug. 1920 in Webster S.D. Thomas left Day County in 1922, drifted to Michigan and settled in Benton Harbor --where he appears in the 1930 census. he married Esther Matthewes and lived the rest of his life there --dying in 1953 (I have a copy of his obit.) --he did not have any other children that I could find. Virginia married Frank Joseph Becht and they had five children: Jim, Terry (my dad), Judy, Bob and Frank (who died in childhood). Virginia visited Pt. DuBois many times in the late 40's and 50's and was close with her cousins Clifford, Charlie, Jim and Caroline. Jim Shand Jr. visited me in Seattle late 1993 --about 6 months before he died of a heart attack --he gave me photos of all four brothers --I can scan and post later.

Joseph Shand migrated to Detroit Michigan by the 1920's and spent the rest of his life there --he appears in the 1930 census in Detroit and he worked for Ford Motor Company --Joseph was still alive as of Thomas' death as he attended the funeral.

Walter "Wally" Shand did live in Keene NH --he married Margaret Reid and had one daughter --Catherine Shand --who married a Claude Webster and they had one daughter --Tammy Webster.

Keene NH was the destination for Agnes and her sons mainly because her sister Sarah Kaye lived there --she married a Theodore Driscoll --they were close.

I also have info on the Shands going way back to Scotland --and on other branches --Arenberg, Hebb, Hirtle (many Germans) who lived in Lunenberg County N.S. for generations.

Best Regards,
Terrance Becht
(Seattle, WA.)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks very much for all that Terrence!

As soon as I get a chance to review everything, I will update the narratives accordingly.

Regards,
Gary

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 am

Terrence: The narrative for Thomas SHAND has been revised and updated. Please check it out and see if I have made the changes correctly.