Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

REVEREND BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1837-1928)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
MarionJoy

REVEREND BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1837-1928)

Post by MarionJoy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 pm

I have been reading your material with great interest. The page on Rev. Benjamin MacKenzie is of particular interest, as he is, on my mother's side, a direct ancestor. My mother was Margaret Doris Thorburn, daughter of Nora McLeod, daughter of Eliza MacKenzie, daughter of Benjamin MacKenzie. My mother, who is now deceased, mentioned that her great great grandfather was a minister, and that he died at the age of 90 while preaching. This information did not come up in your writings. Can you confirm this in any way? Thank you so much for all your research. Marion Guenther (nee Anderson)

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: REVEREND BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1837-1928)

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:27 pm

Family Page: REVEREND BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1837-1928)

Please post comments and queries about Reverend Benjamin McKENZIE and his family here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Welcome to the Forum Marion!

Your posting alerted me to the fact that I neglected to provide a Forum Discussion Link to his Page. I have updated his Family Page accordingly.

My late sister-in-law, Jean (nee McKENZIE) STILL (Benjamin’s granddaughter) commented in one of her writings that in 1927 Benjamin, “after over 50 years in the Anglican Ministry, became too feeble to conduct services any longer.” Of course he died the following year.
Gary Still

MarionJoy

Post by MarionJoy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:09 pm

Thank you for your reply, and I did notice the note in your site that Benjamin, at the age of 90, was now too feeble to preach. My mother's family seemed to have the idea that he was actually in the pulpit when he died. Their mother, Nora, was Benjamin's granddaughter, also, through Ben's eldest daughter, Eliza. If the event happened in 1927, most of the great-grand children in the Shellbrook home would have been in their teens. I hope I don't sound at all argumentative!!!!! Just that I am so very interested! I also wondered if it was under Ben's influence that 'Roddy' decided to marry his Ojibwa sweetheart!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:08 pm

No problem Marion. Any comments or opinions from descendants are always welcomed, no matter what.

subieroo

Post by subieroo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:56 am

my name is david mckenzie of nanaimo the rev ben mckenzie is the younger bother of my great grandfather cc mckenzie 1836-1899 he lived in victoria bc had two sons and a daughter the sceond son was my grandfather ben mckenzie 1881-1967 he had 10 children who lived to be adults finding this imformation is very usful and interesting regards david mckenzie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:42 am

Sorry Folks! It’s been a couple of years since I posted Pages for some of the McKENZIE families and I neglected to provide proper links, particularly for Discussion Topics. It is important to keep discussions organized because there are so many Benjamins and Rodericks in this family, it is easy to confuse everyone.

I have done an update to the page for Benjamin Sr., added more information and provided a proper link for his specific family.

David: I will copy your comments to that Forum Topic and will reply there.

Again, my apologies; if you find errors, please let me know. - Gary
Here are the links:
FAMILY PAGE for BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1807-1837)
FORUM DISCUSSING BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1807-1837)

Terry Neufeld

Post by Terry Neufeld » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:52 pm

My name is Terry Neufeld and we are trying to find out if any of Benjamin McKenzies daughters had any young boys taken away before she was married? Our Grandfather whom we believe was named Stanley McKenzie was taken from his mother and placed in a home near Lowe Farm Manitoba.The name Catherine has been mentioned but no one knows for sure. Any information would be a great help. Thank you.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:57 pm

Welcome to the Forum Terry. More clues are needed to even begin to look for Stanley. There are countless McKENZIE families in my files. Most importantly when and where was Stanley born (even just approximately)?
To properly trace your ancestors you need to begin with someone close to you. Can you tell us more about your parents; when and where they were born, who they married, etc? How about aunts or uncles who can be linked to someone already in the database? Birth dates and where they were born are important.

Terry Neufeld

Post by Terry Neufeld » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:54 pm

gnstill wrote:Welcome to the Forum Terry. More clues are needed to even begin to look for Stanley. There are countless McKENZIE families in my files. Most importantly when and where was Stanley born (even just approximately)?
To properly trace your ancestors you need to begin with someone close to you. Can you tell us more about your parents; when and where they were born, who they married, etc? How about aunts or uncles who can be linked to someone already in the database? Birth dates and where they were born are important.
Thank you for replying so quickly, The information we have is his birth name might have been Stanley McKenzie or William Stanley, the dob we have could be October 15 1893 or 1894, we believe he was born in or near Winnipeg. The family that took him in were Frank and Maria Groening from Lowe Farm area, He married Margaret Neufeld in 1913, Frank passed away July 12 1958 and Margaret was born February 19 1894 and passed away March 3 1978. We have a birth reg. # that is 1893-20516287 I will try and locate more information on their children, We came from a family that was not very close so it is hard getting any information about dates of any kind. Thank you for your time. Terry