Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

BAPTISTE COOK & NANCY SANDERSON

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

BAPTISTE COOK & NANCY SANDERSON

Post by gnstill » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 am

A lady named Linda is interested in the SANDERSON-COOK genealogy.

Around 1858 Baptiste COOK (1836-1888) married Nancy SANDERSON b-1841.
Baptiste died on Jan 6, 1888 in St Clements Parish.

Are you aware, Linda, that in 1890 Nancy re-married to John COCHRANE (1836-1917)?

Linda Stokes

Re: BAPTISTE COOK & NANCY SANDERSON

Post by Linda Stokes » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:07 pm

No I did not know she remarried. What I am looking for is evidence of her treaty status. According to the 1881 census both Baptiste and Nancy are listed as indigenous. My grandmother was Helen/Ellen Dorthea Cook b. 1884. How do I find their treaty numbers?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:52 pm

My information indicates that Nancy & Baptiste COOK once received Treaty at Norway House, where they lived for about 19 years. After that they were taken into the St Peters Band. However, they claimed and received Halfbreed Scrip around 1885, forfeiting their Treaty Status. In other words, after 1885 they were no longer Status Indians, so a Treaty number is somewhat irrelevant.

If you still wanted to find their Treaty number, I would suggest inquiring via the Norway House or St Peters bands. Many members of the Norway House band were transferred later to the Fisher River Reserve, so that might also be a possibility. But like I say, it is perhaps irrelevant anyway, as they forfeited their Treaty status for Half-breed Scrip.

collcar

Post by collcar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:39 am

I just stumbled onto these postings by chance. Linda, did you have any success in tracking down treaty numbers? My husband's great grandmother was Elizabeth Cook, daughter of Baptiste and Nancy. He has very little information about his family, so this is very interesting.