Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

NICHOLAS GOODMAN (1858-1905)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

NICHOLAS GOODMAN (1858-1905)

Post by gnstill » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:02 pm

New Family Page: NICHOLAS GOODMAN (1858-1905)

Please post queries and discussions about this family hereunder.

gazer48

Re: NICHOLAS GOODMAN (1858-1905)

Post by gazer48 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:24 pm

My Great Uncle was also Olafur Gudmundsson, so a google brought me to this site. The son of Nicholas/Nikolas Gudmundsson did not marry Steania Shurluson ( wrong spelling on Manitoba Vital Stats.) . Her name was Stefania Sturluson/Sturlason. She was my relatives second wife. He drowned at Cormorant Lake a few years after their marriage. She was living in Gimli, but had accompanied him to the fishing camp. A few years after my Olafur Goodman died, she remarried to a man named Lyngdal. They moved in the 1940's to British Columbia. ( Lyngdal's wife had also died, and he had children)
Nikolas's wife's name on their marriage was Hallgriden Olafsdottir. This is again wrong. She was Hallgerdur Olafsdottir. I found 4 children on Manitoba Stats. with the Mother's name as Hallgerdur Olafsdottir. Gudmundur Palini (Palmi) Gudmundson born Feb.23,1895 at Winnipeg. Olafur Gudmundson born Aug.19,1893 at Winnipeg. Lily G. Goodman born Apr.13,1900. Olavia Thorkelsson born June 19,1901 ?? I could not find Eirik or the third son. There are many errors in spelling, especially for Icelandic names on Man. Vital Stats., so you have to spend a long time trying every different way. I looked up Hallgerdur Olafsdottir on Familysearch. She is listed as born May 24,1862 in Iceland to Olafur Magnusson and Gudridur Haldorsdottir. I don't know where the information on this family came from, but thought I should let you know of the error. I will go back and look for the other children's births. I have no idea why the Thorkelsson birth appeared under Hallgerdur Olafsdottir.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:57 pm

Welcome to the Forum Gazer! That is interesting stuff. I will review it all and get back to you later.
Where to you fit into the picture? Tell us more about your lineage.

gazer48

Post by gazer48 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Well, I went back and did some more digging. I found a 1949 voter's list for Norquay district in Manitoba. The Goodman family members listed are as follows: Mrs. H. Goodman-widow Nettly Lake
Lily Goodman-home girl Petersfield
Fred Goodman-farmer
Julia Goodman-wife
Oliver Goodman-merchant
Catherine Goodman-wife
On the 1940 Voter's list Palmie is listed as farmer, and his wife as Mrs. Palmie Goodman. The others above are also listed except Mrs. H.(Hallgerdur) Goodman. Lily Goodman is listed as spinster in Petersfield. The mother could have been away at the time.
I then found a 1953 Voter's list with Oliver Goodman (retired) and his wife Catherine in British Columbia.-Sooke P.O.
Oliver Ethelstein ( I'm assuming this is the wrong spelling, as he had been Olafur A.) Goodman died Nov.18,1953 at Sooke, B.C., at age 59. Birth year about 1894. By the way, Kristjan E. Gudmundson was born July 31,1897 according to the 1901 Census. He was a boy, not a girl.
I haven't found their marriages yet. I am not related to this family, but wanted to help find some facts. As to the Olafur Gudmundsson/Goodman that I am related to, he was my Grandmother's brother. He came to Canada in 1905 and married his first wife Sigurey late that same year. They had 2 children and his wife died when they were quite young. He married Stefania quite a few years later. They had no children together. He was a fisherman and he and a few others got caught on an ice flow and were eventually drowned. Lake Cormorant is near The Pas. A sad ending for one of our adventurers.

gazer48

Post by gazer48 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:54 am

Last night I found the actual death certificate for Oliver Goodman in the collections of the Royal B.C. Museum. As I said before, he died at Sooke, B.C. It lists his parents. His wife Catherine Goodman signed the death certificate. They were living on Grant Rd. in the Sooke Municipality for 2 years and Oliver retired Sept. 1951. he was a Postmaster for 16 years before that. I'm assuming this was at Netley Lake. His wife's maiden name is listed as Craft. As he died suddenly, a coroner looked into his death in Victoria, B.C., where the death certificate was signed. It says Oliver is buried at Saseenos Cemetery in B.C. I couldn't find a death certificate for Catherine Goodman. She may have remarried or returned to where she had family. I found no marriage for Oliver and Catherine. This is not really surprising, as many births and marriages were never registered.
I did find a marriage on Mb. Vital Stats. for Alfred Johan Goodman and Louise Margaret Hough on Oct.19,1935 at the R.M. of Rockwood, Mb. I'm not sure about this one, as his wife is listed as Julia on the 1949 Voter's list. It's worth checking into though. Rockwood R.M. includes Stonewall and Stony Mountain etc. so would be between Selkirk and Netley Lake.
Last edited by gazer48 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:43 pm

Gazer - You have certainly raised a lot of interesting things to investigate. I still can’t seem to see where you fit in. Who were your parents/ grandparents and when/where were they born?
My own particular interest with the GOODMAN ancestors is with Edna (nee GOODMAN) LAW and Charlie GOODMAN (1932-2015) who were very good friends with my sister and sister-in-law. Charlie was the son of Elizabeth McLENNAN and Palmi GOODMAN at this link:
PALMI GOODMAN (1895-1949)

gazer48

Post by gazer48 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi again, I am very interested in all Icelandic people that chose to come to Canada. In doing research on my own family that came to Manitoba and the U.S.A. and are now spread all across Canada and beyond, I of course came across many other families with the same names. My Grandmother came as a new bride with her husband, my Grandfather, in 1913. They settled in Winnipeg and had children. My Mother was their daughter. My Grandmother had 2 brothers and her youngest sister come to Canada before her, in about 1905 and 1906. They headed further north into the Interlake. All 3 married in Manitoba and had children here. I met only 1 of my Mother's cousins ( on her 80th birthday). I decided I was going to find all the information I could about them. My Great Uncle Armann Goodman (Gudmundsson/ Goodmanson) farmed in the Selkirk district before moving to Fairford. I've told you about the drowning of Olafur Goodman and the death of his 1st wife. Their young sister also died young leaving 3 daughters. She died in 1918 at Wapah near The Narrows. Much to my surprise, I found out that my Grandmother also had many of her Aunts and Uncles here and in the U.S.A. and many cousins that came with them. I'm still working on locating some of these. When I find errors, I think it's best to help out.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:39 am

I’m still not clear - Who exactly is your grandfather who came to Canada in 1913 and settled in Winnipeg, and who did he marry?

Nicholas GOODMAN (1858-1905) of course came from Iceland to Winnipeg in 1891, and in 1892 he married there to Halgetter OLAFSDOTTIR (who had immigrated around 1888). All of his children were born in Manitoba to the best of my knowledge, so I can’t understand how your grandfather is related to Nicholas?

I have lots of information on these ancestral Icelandic families but I need to know where your grandfather fits in. I also have a sister-in-law whose ancestors were Icelandic and am familiar with Icelandic settlement in Manitoba.

gazer48

Post by gazer48 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:36 pm

I am not related to Nicholas Goodman in any way. I never said I was related. I only wanted you to correct the wrong information that you have on here regarding the marriage of Steania Shurluson to his son Oliver Goodman. I have found you the true person that he married. I was just trying to help.
Last edited by gazer48 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:24 pm

Thanks Gazer – That correction has been made.
I respect your wishes not to identify your personal family links to the GOODMAN families. I just thought I might have other information in that regard that would be of interest to you. Sorry.