Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

THOMAS HODGSON (1789-1865)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

THOMAS HODGSON (1789-1865)

Post by gnstill » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:26 am

New Family Page: THOMAS HODGSON (1789-1865)

Please post comments and queries about Thomas HODGSON and his family here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: THOMAS HODGSON (1789-1865)

Post by gnstill » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 pm

A message from George Johnstone: The info below from your site also makes me question the John THOMAS linkage
"In 1808 Tom and his father both returned to Moose Factory, where it seems Thomas [HODGSON] remained at least long enough to begin a relationship with Ann THOMAS, the daughter of John THOMAS,(1751-1822), the Chief Factor there. .....
Around 1817 back at the Bay, Nancy THOMAS began a connubial relationship with Alexander CHRISTIE (1792-1872) from Scotland, the HBC Superintendent at Rupert’s House, across the Bay from Albany (they would later be church-wed)."
This info suggests this Ann THOMAS was never hooked up with AC
All this contradicts other info concerning the THOMAS'
PS. Admire and appreciate your work, so don't take these observations as criticisms............George

Me to George: No problem George – Over the years I have made countless errors and always welcome opportunities to correct them whenever better information is found. I have always found the early THOMAS family lineages to be particularly troublesome. My only goal is to get as close to the truth as possible. You only need to play that U-Tube video about ‘Who’s on First’ on the JOHN THOMAS PAGE to see my frustrations in that regard.

You might very well be right regarding Ann Nancy THOMAS as a child of Thomas THOMAS. You are certainly not alone in that belief. However, other sources continue to present problems.

My understanding was that Thomas HODGSON abandoned Nancy THOMAS in 1817 and CHRISTIE did in fact later marry her.
At the heart of the problem seems to be the family relationships of Alexander CHRISTIE. I am going to take another look at the information I have about him and will create a Family Page for him in the next few days. It will refresh my own memory and will be a basis for further discussion.