Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1807-1837)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1807-1837)

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:37 am

Family Page: BENJAMIN McKENZIE SR (1807-1837)

Please post comments and queries about Benjamin McKENZIE SR here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: BENJAMIN McKENZIE (1807-1837)

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:11 am

David McKENZIE posted Apr 13, 2014: My name is David McKENZIE of Nanaimo,. The Rev Ben McKENZIE is the younger brother of my great grandfather CC McKENZIE 1836-1899 he lived in Victoria BC had two sons and a daughter the second son was my grandfather Ben McKENZIE 1881-1967. He had 10 children who lived to be adults finding this information is very useful and interesting.
Regards - David McKENZIE

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:08 am

Of course the CC McKENZIE that David is referring to is Colin Campbell McKENZIE (1836-1899).

Welcome to the Forum David: From what I’ve seen, your great grandfather had a very interesting life as well.
I would love to work with you to present a Special Family Page for him but unfortunately I’m so busy with this genealogy stuff that I have had to prepare a priority list to organize my work load and it could be a long time before I get a chance to do a follow-up.
MORE ABOUT SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:04 am

JoanM posted Jan 14, 2015: I came across your page when looking for further information about Colin Campbell McKenzie, who married my husband's great-great aunt Mary Letitia Elford.This Colin is the grandson of Roderick McKenzie and the brother of Rev. Benjamin McKenzie. He is the one who become the Superintendent of Education in British Columbia after working first for the HBC in the BC interior scouting a route from Fort Alexandria to Bella Coola that the HBC could use to provision the forts in the BC interior and then as a teacher in Victoria. He is the one who attended Cambridge University after attending the Red River Academy after the death of his father Benjamin. I have quite a bit of information about Roderick's children and would be interested in communicating with you further. I also note that there is no family page for "my" Colin Campbell McKenzie and would be interested in making a donation to correct this and would also be happy to share information. I wrote an article for the Victoria Genealogical Society newsletter on this family some years ago and last year it was reprinted the McKenzie clan newsletter.
Looking forward to hearing from you

subieroo

Post by subieroo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:22 am

david mckenzie here my great grandmother mary mckenzie wife of colin cambell passed away in 1922 on whitby island possibly with here daughter who ended up in pine knot califorina i believe with the name of warford

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:30 pm

Hello again David. I believe that must be Robert Henry WARFIELD you are referring to. You must have missed my New Family Page for your ancestral McKENZIE at this link:
COLIN CAMPBELL McKENZIE (1836-1899)
To avoid confusion, please continue discussions under that Forum Topic.

Pat Neibergall

Post by Pat Neibergall » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:33 pm

Benjamin McKenzie was my mother's grandfather. The story in our family is that he died in Lahaina harbour, playing 'silly buggers' in a canoe, wherein the goal was to stand up without touching the sides on the canoe for support. With ankles crossed, and arms crossed over the chest, by shear strength, the 'player' was supposed to rise. Benjamin had TB and when he rose, something in his lungs burst and so he pitched over the side of the canoe in that harbour, crowning from within and without.

In the late 1970's when I was in Maui, I found a small sort of museum and that story was mentioned and my mother verified it. Last year when I returned, I couldn't find that little museum and there is no longer any interest in the HBC, only whaling history now. A local suggested that anything to do with the HBC has been moved to Honolulu.

I also think there was something written about this death by George Simpson, but I can't remember where. Has anyone else out there heard this family story?

Pat Neibergall

Post by Pat Neibergall » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:35 pm

To David McKenzie regarding CC McKenzie in Victoria: I have an old picture from my grandmother with CC McKenzie written on the back. He is standing with his wife in front of a picket fence surrounding their house. In the background, one can see the steeple of a church.

Interested?

subieroo

Post by subieroo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:50 am

yes I think that I would be interested my cousin donna stennes is working on the family history she was coping photos of our family regards

Duncan

Post by Duncan » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:17 am

Hello,

I had to share with some folks who might appreciate this. I had been looking for any clue regarding Benjamin McKenzie Sr's burial place in Hawaii. My wife and I also visited Kawaiaho Church and cemetery in Honolulu a few years' back (I was allowed a brief amount of our vacation time for genealogical research).

They have a remarkable heritage program, but had no record of our McKenzie. The site has changed a lot since 1837 and that would have been a very early burial.

Very recently, I came across the 44th Annual Report of the Hawaiian Historical Society from 1935 - https://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/handle/10524/50

Remarkably, it speaks to a marker for Benjamin in the churchyard as late as the date of publication. I contacted the church again but the marker is lost to time. It's nice to have confirmation that this is at least the right site, though.