Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES MORRISON (1789-1872)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: JAMES MORRISON (1789-1872)

Post by gnstill » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:30 pm

What was your mother, Dorothy’s maiden name?
I have an obituary for a Dorothy Hazel (Dodi) MORRISON nee SPEARS who died Nov 28, 2013 at Haven Hill, Penticton. However the obit indicates that she married Robert Franklin MORRISON.
Do you know anything about that family?

slmorrison

Post by slmorrison » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm

My mother was Dorothy Alberta Clarke born in Montreal, PQ. My parents married in New York in 1945 (eloped) then settled in BC - Clayaquot

slmorrison

Post by slmorrison » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Forgot to mention - I know nothing about that Morrison family

slmorrison

Post by slmorrison » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:28 pm

Today would have been my parents' wedding anniversary. Would you mind letting me know if I am following the correct ancestral thread?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:00 pm

At this point I cannot find anything prior to your own info regarding Edward MORRISON who married Annie GRAY. More information about them would be very helpful.

What is the basis for your belief that he was a descendant of James MORRISON (1789-1872)?

In the 1911 census for Carmacks, Yukon, I did find an E. MORRISON, age 24 (born c1887 in Alberta) in the household of an RB. LORTHROP, for whatever that’s worth.

slmorrison

Post by slmorrison » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Here is what I found in Yukon archives - Angus Morrison, Carmacks then as a Telegraph Operator in Upper Labarge,
Angus Morrison - Lineman in Tagish, entry in Polks Alaska-Yukon Gazeteer 1923-24
Annie Morrison, Carmacks (Gov 2081 - don't know what that means)
Edward Morrison, Labarge - Telegraph Operator (M55141) This information backs up family information passed down so, I think this Edward would have been my grandfather. (My father, Edward Angus, was raised on Lake Labarge)
Elizabeth Morrison, Dawson City, Yukon Marriage License 11 July 1901 - not sure about/if relationship here.
There was also a registered mining claim in the name of Morrison - Claim Dominion Creek 74, below Lowe discovery.
Also, I found an Ed Morrison in the 1901 census in Dawson City, Yukon age 32

My daughter found court records from Winnipeg regarding Annie Morrison & her continued 'guardianship' over her children. I will try to find out more about that as it could be a better lead.
I will also pursue (my great-uncle) Angus, as he worked for the government (Indian Agent) so there may be more records there.

It could be that I should be on the Angus Morrison family page, it was the "connubial" relationship that brought me to this page as it seemed more in line with what I was told about the extent of our Indigenous ancestry.

slmorrison

Post by slmorrison » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:20 am

It would appear the 'Ed Morrison' in Dawson, 1901 census, is not related as he was an American. Sorry, it took me a bit to gt a handle on how to use the census site.
In family history/lore is the story that one of my ancestors was wounded in the Louis Riel Rebellion & there is documentation of his treatment. I have no idea where to try to verify this information. If you could steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

CMorrison

Post by CMorrison » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 pm

slmorrison wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:20 am It would appear the 'Ed Morrison' in Dawson, 1901 census, is not related as he was an American. Sorry, it took me a bit to gt a handle on how to use the census site.
In family history/lore is the story that one of my ancestors was wounded in the Louis Riel Rebellion & there is documentation of his treatment. I have no idea where to try to verify this information. If you could steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Hi there, I have lots of info to share regarding our family. I believe we're half cousins as my grandfather was Edward Morrison (via his second marriage) and I believe we met at your parents 50th anniversary in the early 90's. If you get this please message me privately and I can share all that I know.

JennyCac

Post by JennyCac » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:27 pm

slmorrison wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 am I think I may be a descendant of James Morrison but do not know a lot about my ancestry other than my father (Edward Angus Morrison) was invited to the Metis celebration of Louis Riel a number of years ago. My father was born in the Yukon & was the 2nd eldest of four - Katherine, Edward, Donald, Frank.
His father, my grandfather, was Edward, who after many years in the Yukon, some of them employed by HBC, moved to British Columbia at some point, married a 2nd time & died in BC. His uncle was Angus but they may not be the only siblings. To the best of my knowledge Angus was an 'Indian Agent' in the North West Territories, married 3 times & died in Alberta.
His grandparents were Edward (registered in the Canadian census of circa 1898 as a miner in Dawson City, Yukon) & Annie (Gray) Morrison. Annie owned (co-owned?) a road house on the Yukon trail from Skagway (in Carcross, Yukon).
If anyone can help me with information, I would appreciate it.
http://www.tofinomuseum.com/blog/104-%E ... and-family