Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOSEPH MOORE (1891-1929)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JOSEPH MOORE (1891-1929)

Post by gnstill » Mon May 21, 2012 11:39 am

New Family Page: JOSEPH MOORE (1891-1929)

Please post discussions about this family hereunder.

WDC

Re: JOSEPH MOORE (1891-1929)

Post by WDC » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Gary...thanks! This is information I never had. May I get the link to Greg's site..hope that is okay?!

I have a few additions to the information provided (not previously mentioned, and some mentioned in other posts):

Elsie Moore was born in 1928, and passed away in 1977. Elsie married Richard W Steinke (1925-2003), and had two sons.

Joseph Moore's attestation papers indicate the Jarvis address instead of a Jarvie address.

Robert Moore's Attestation papers give an 1884 year of birth instead of 1844 which is probably a typo in converting information to your great site.

It would appear Fred Moore's legal name was Alfred Moore (from his Attestation papers).

Etta Moore nee bell has two birth dates; 1894 from the 1906, 1911 censuses, and 1889 from her death cert, and an Etta Moore, dob 1889 living in Wpg in the 1911 census, and working as a supervisor for Man(?) telephones. I do not know if they are the same person. The 1911 census lists an Ethel P Bell, dob 1894, and living with parents John W Bell and Eliza E Bell near or in Neepawa (this is the first and only mention of an Ethel P Bell). John W was a farmer (in Manitoba). He immigrated to Canada from England in 1856 or 1860 to Huron County - Goderich, Ontario. On the1906 and 1911 censuses his birthdates are respectively 1856 and 1852. I have no information on his parents or what part of England they came from. John W married Eliza E Dunkeld who was born in Huron County, Ontario to William Dunkeld (from Scotland)(information from 1891) census. No mention is made of his wife, as he is listed as a widower. There were two other siblings born to William Dunkeld, but I cannot make out their names on the census.

On Etta's marriage cert (1915), Etta stated her age as 21, which would place her dob as 1894. I do not know the cause of death of Etta, but she passed away on January 7, 1948 (age 58). She apparently remarried at some point, as she is buried under the surname of Landmesser (according to her death cert and Brookside Cementary) - Joseph Landmesser born in Chicago on either 1888 (Attestation papers) or 1884 (head stone). As far as I know, they did not have any children. Joseph Landmesser passed away in 1954 and is buried (military headstone) beside Etta and two of her daughters - Phyllis (1919-2002) and Kathleen (1923-1991). Kathleen's husband Richard passed away before her, but I do not know when or where he is buried. I cannot find a marriage cert for Etta and Joseph Landmesser, so perhaps they were married outside Manitoba, or the papers were not received by the Manitoba Government (info from Manitoba Vital Statistics). Phyllis and Kathleen are listed by Brookside as having the surname of Miller (both having married men by the surname of Miller) (In the late forties, Phyllis is listed in Henderson's and on Etta's Obit as having the surname of Bailey [Charlie or Chas Bailey] ). The surname on the headstone for Etta, Phyllis and Kathleen is Moore. Phyllis had three daughters.

I do not know; the death date of Dorothy (she married Victor Goudreau sometime in the 1940's), or where she is buried, or her middle name. They had a number of children, but I only recall the name of one - Jeff (sp?).

The marriage cert for Etta Bell and Joseph Moore does indicate a surname for Rosie, but the surname provided looks like Macarthy. It is definitely not a french surname and does not look like Mercredi. So, some confusion here for me.

Would it be possible to please start a page about the John W Bell and Eliza E Dunkeld families?

I would dearly like to see any photos of Etta and Joseph or their parents, siblings etc., or anyone of my ancestors.

Thanks!

Wes

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

Wes: I cannot find/ verify the 1911 census record for Etta MOORE,(dob 1889 living in Winnipeg) that you referred to in the census records I normally refer to. Is that the exact spelling in the record you found?

I have updated the JOSEPH MOORE Family Page to incorporate your new information, corrections, etc. Let me know if you find any other errors. I also uploaded a new Family Page for WILLIAM MOORE

Regarding Greg: I found Greg’s information on Ancestry.com where I have a paid membership. Much of the info about himself is indicated as ‘Private’ so I am hesitant about passing on some of what I found there and elsewhere. I did send him an email requesting he join our discussions on my Forum, but so far haven’t gotten any response.

Family page for John BELL: JOHN WESLEY BELL (1852-1929)
Gary

WDC

Post by WDC » Wed May 23, 2012 9:41 pm

Gary, here is the link to the indexed 1911 census that has Etta Moore dob Feb 1889, and residing in Wpg., while Ethel P Bell (first mention anywhere I know of)is residing with John and Eliza - http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/ ... +%28%3F%29

I could be mistaken, but I think that Ethel never existed. Maybe it should have been Etta, and that the Etta Moore with a dob of 1889 is not my grandmother - Etta P Moore, but it does seem more than coincidence to me.

Sorry, I do not know how to post the actual image of the 1911 census that I saved on my hard drive. In it the surname is a bit smudged, but when enlarged it quite looks like Moore. That combined with the given of Etta and the dob 1889, gives food for thought.

For John W Bell and Eliza Dunkeld, on the marriage cert for Joseph Moore and Etta Bell, Eliza's surname is spelled Dunkell. This certificate was by St. Philip's Church in Wpg. The wedding was not in early 1915, but was on December 31, 1915. From what I have seen Eliza never went by the name Elizabeth, which makes me think that was her legal first name. As previously mentioned, the handwriting for the surname for Rosie is a bit hard to make out but it looks like Macarthy or Macarty or Macathy. An address of 267 Flora is given for Joseph. The section of where he was born is faded and unable to be read. Etta is listed as a Laundress, age 21 (1915 minus 21=1894 dob). Her address is listed as Neepawa.

Perhaps you would be able to provide information Greg has given about my ancestors, without providing private information about Greg? I hope so, in case he does not respond on the forum.

Thanks for the family pages you made. I am going to look at them now.

ETA: I have looked at them - thanks so much!

Gary, the part "U.S. City Directories: 1948; 722 Nightingdale, Dearborn, Michigan: Etta P MOORE; spouse Jos. MOORE". I do not think are the same Etta and Joseph we are posting about, because on Etta's obit in 1948, she is listed as residing at 1125 Aberdeen avenue, Winnipeg, and of course Joseph passed away in 1929. It is a strange coincidence though, I must admit.

I am reluctant to join Ancestry, as I think they may be run by the same people who run NewspaperAchive - who I have had trouble with, and had to get by credit card cancelled and a new one issued, and my credit card company is still looking into it. Both sites have many complaints against them when googled.

WDC

Post by WDC » Sun May 27, 2012 11:41 am

Will the real Joseph Moore (Moor) please stand up.

I have been trying to check names and birth dates to match the information I have on Joseph Moor(e) from his Attestation Papers, and his marriage certificate in 1915.

In checking Mb Vital Statistics there is a Joseph Ernest Moore dob March 23, 1891 in Selkirk Mb. Mother is listed as Grace Sanderson. The March 1891 dob fits the dob on Joseph Moor's Attestation Papers - March 1891. But, the Moore born on March 23 1891 lists his father as John Robert Moore on his Attestation Paper.

Joseph Alphonse Roger Moore dob November 29, 1890 fits the year of birth on Joseph Moore's headstone. But, I question that all other sources do not mention a middle name for the Joseph Moore that married Etta Pearl Bell, and that this would have placed his age at death as 38 istead of 39 which is listed on his death certificate and in his obituary.

In Joseph Moore's Notice of Death Form, his father is listed as William Moore, born in Scotland, maiden name of mother unknown, birth place of mother unknown, Joseph's birth date unknown, Joseph is listed as 'Scotch', married (does not indicate the name of his wife), born in Canada, time in province 30 years (where was he for 9 years?), and living at 388 Alexander for 2 months (obit says 474 Alexander).

Then there is a Joseph Moore dob June 25, 1895 born in Winnipeg, mother Rosalie Macordie. In looking at Joseph Moore/Etta Bell's Marriage Certificate where his mother is listed as Rosie Mac something, it could be Macordie, but as I mentioned before it could also be Macarthy, Macarty or some similar name. I am going to attempt to get more information from the church in which they were married.

Gary, I hope you can provide the information from Greg on the family (without compromising his privacy).

WDC

Post by WDC » Wed May 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for Etta's Memorium!

Wes
Last edited by WDC on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu May 31, 2012 7:35 am

Joseph Ernest MOORE born Mar 23, 1891, son of the Grace Agnes SANDERSON & John Robert MOORE (1862-1937). As you may recall, this is the Joseph MOORE who I originally thought was your Joseph MOORE. MORE ABOUT the JOHN ROBERT MOORE FAMILY

After a second review I can now assure you, this is definitely NOT your Joseph who married Etta Pearl BELL in 1915. Joseph Ernest was a single man living with his parents in Ridgely, MB, right up to 1918 when he enlisted for WW I. In 1943 Joseph Ernest married Widow Louisa (nee McDONALD) COOK.

Where did you see the Notice of Death Form for your Joseph?

WDC

Post by WDC » Thu May 31, 2012 11:55 am

I ordered it from Vital Statistics. Same with the Marriage cert for Etta and Joseph, and the death registration for Etta, but for Etta they blanked out the cause of death. That will not be available for another 5.5 years, or one could apply to the Court to find out.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am

Thanks for the donation Wes; very much appreciated!

New Family Page for you: FRANK MILLER (1878-1939)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 pm

Wes said: In most of data, my grandfather Joseph does not have a middle name, then we have different birth dates (month, day and year), so I am not sure about Joseph Alphonse Roger Moor(e) being my blood grandfather.

My response: To be perfectly honest Wes, I’m not sure either, but when I found Greg’s information it supported my own contention because of the circumstances surrounding the associated families and where they lived. As I explained in the Family Page for WILLIAM MOORE, there were actually three different Joseph’s in that family to pick from, all identified in Vita Stats as sons of Rosalie MERCREDI & William MOORE. Until better facts are found, it seems to be the only scenario we have at this point.