Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES ANDREW LOCKHART (1831-?)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JAMES ANDREW LOCKHART (1831-?)

Post by gnstill » Sun May 01, 2016 10:21 am

New Family Page: JAMES ANDREW LOCKHART (1831-?)

Please post comments and queries about ANNIE McLEOD & JAMES ANDREW LOCKHART here.

Jlwiebe94

Re: JAMES ANDREW LOCKHART (1831-?)

Post by Jlwiebe94 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 pm

I have been very successful with my research on James Andrew Lockhart -I even found a picture! Turns out his middle name is not Andrew. I don't know what it is, but according to an article he wrote about Moose, it starts with a G. I have created a tree for his family on ancestry, if you want to check it out. I'm 90% sure I have the correct wife and children, as well as the correct death date/place, but 100% certain about his brother, sister and father (I was able to get a copy of his correspondence with the Smithsonian Institute). Turns out he was also awarded a medal for his participation in one of the HBC land searches for the Franklin expedition. I even found (and was able to procure a copy) of a personal journal he wrote when he first started working for the HBC in 1848 (it sounds like he had a pretty boring job, although I haven't gotten to the part where he leaves Lachine). Anyway, just thought I would update you on my finds.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks very much Jennifer. I have added your pictures to the narrative.
From further investigations I have found several more interesting things about the LOCKHART family. Watch for further updates in the next few days.
One thing very interesting thing that I found: The HBC Archives indicate that James retired to Whitby, Ontario in 1873. I discovered where a James LOCKHART married Elizabeth B GIBBS in Whitby in 1874. Are you aware of this?

Jlwiebe94

Post by Jlwiebe94 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:37 am

Yes, I had added that record to my tree, along with the descendents of this couple. I believe my James Lockhart died of phthisis (tuberculosis) in 1887, in Wentworth. I have not been able to continue to track down what happened to his surviving daughters, but I do find it amusing that all the Lockharts that are carrying on his name are from his illegitimate child(ren) (I noticed there are Dene Lockharts near Fort Resolution but I haven't been able to contact them to see if they are also his descendents).