Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

NELSON CONROD (1860-1946)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

NELSON CONROD (1860-1946)

Post by gnstill » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Family Page Update: NELSON CONROD (1860-1946)

Please post your comments and queries about this family hereunder.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: NELSON CONROD (1860-1946)

Post by gnstill » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:04 am

My cousin David Conrod recently reminded me that in our ineage the surname CONRAD changed to CONROD during Great Grandpa Andrew CONROD's lifetime.

This also reminded me it was about time I posted my Family Page for him, which I just did. Here's the link: CAPTAIN ANDREW CONROD (1812-1902)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:54 am

Cousin David CONROD raised some good questions about the old CONROD house at Mapleton that I have on Grampa’s Page. As David suggests, these may not have actually been the house(s) at Mapleton. The ones shown on the Page for Wilson CONROD are of course beyond dispute. This prompted me to do some more digging. Luckily I found several old articles from the Winnipeg Free Press and have added them to Grampa’s Family Page. They should improve the timeline regarding the whereabouts of Grampa CONROD and his family after they moved to Selkirk, and perhaps help to determine which old house belongs to what year(s) and where.
Brenda (Murray STILL’s wife) did an excellent painting of the old house which I can’t find. Perhaps she can tell us more about it too, and send us her painting.
For David: Note Grampa’s obit of 1946 that mentions your dad (Wilson) being in England with the PPCLI (I’m guessing the Princes Patricia Light Infantry) during World War II. Can you explain that better David (on the Forum Topic for WILSON CONROD)?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:39 pm

David’s Emails: By any chance do you know where the CONROD family lived when they first came to Selkirk from Dryden? I would guess that the 5 acre property on Strathanaver was vacant when our Grandfather built the old house, so where did they live when he was building it? Possibly one of the two houses you have pictures of on his site, but where was it located????? Boy, I sure wish we had them old people around so we can ask them a few question.
Something else that has been puzzling me. Do you remember when Uncle Gordon CONROD lived in the ZAMOLSKI house by your old place on Sunnyside Road? Did he build this house or was it already built? I was also told he ran a grocery store out of the old GOWEN house in Mapleton at one time or another. In fact I still have a old Planters peanut jar from that store. Was all this in your time and can you confirm any of this or am I having a senior's moment again. Was Sunnyside road always called Sunnyside road or is this a new name for it. I can’t ever remember that name when I was a kid. I know, I know, questions, questions, questions but you’re the only in-house historian I know in the family. Dave.

Dave: You must have missed my updates: Grampa CONROD moved to Selkirk around 1920, and in the 1921 census he was recorded on Srathnavor Avenue. Re-read his Page to see my updated info.

Regarding the Gordon CONROD and the ZAMOLSKI property: Uncle Gordon moved to Selkirk around 1930 and he lived on that property until about 1950. I was just about 10 years old in 1950 and I can remember going to their place as a youngster. I remember his big old horse with a game leg he called ‘Silver’. The ZAMOLKI’s bought the place from them in 1950 and they moved Red Lake, Ontario. I grew up playing with the ZAMOLSKI kids, and walking to Mapleton School with them every day. Click this link:
MORE ABOUT UNCLE GORDON CONROD

Regarding the store in the old GOWEN houseSee the paragraph about the ‘Old England Inn’ at this link:
THE ERNEST GOWEN FAMILY of MAPLETON

It was Aunt Jessie and her husband, Sid NICHOLS who had a confectionary store there before they moved to Marathon, Ontario in 1943. My guess is that old Ernie GOWEN bought the property from them.