Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Henry Erasmus, son of Peter Sr vs Henry Hans Rasmusson

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
suziebee

Henry Erasmus, son of Peter Sr vs Henry Hans Rasmusson

Post by suziebee » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:38 pm

Have been searching these two men who's records seem to get quite mixedup. I think I have sorted them out & wonder if others have any info or thoughts on my research.
I must say before I start, the spelling of the last name has many varieties - Erasmusson, Erasmus, Rasmus, Rasmussen etc which certainly leads to the confusion. Both Henrys seem to have had their names spelled as Erasmussen initially.
Henry Erasmus was the son of Peter Erasmus Sr and Catherine Budd. He was born in Red River in 1826/7 as he appears in the 1827 census of Red River, living with his parents & 2 sisters in St Andrews. In 1849 his father died & he was forced to hire himself out to earn money to support his mother & younger siblings. He is said to have married twice - 1. Margaret Anderson married 1850 in St Andrews. Children are unknown. 2. Elizabeth Anderson - date, place & her parentage unknown. He is mentioned several times in his brother, Peter Erasmus Jr's book "Buffalo Days and Nights". In 1855 he seems to be home in Red River. In 1870 Henry is described as addicted to alcohol, and having lost the family's money through his drinking. On the 1881 census he is in Prince Albert with Margaret and a son Charles Thomas. May have died about 1886. Henry was a half breed & an Anglican. The family surname became Erasmus uniformly.

Henry Hans Rasmusson was born in Norway in 1828, and went to sea as a cabin boy, before being recruited by the HBCo in 1850. He came out to York Factory that year, remaining for 5 years. Then he came south to Red River working in various positions. In 1859 he married Jane Stead at St Andrews, and they had 9 children, 5 living to adulthood. They settled on a river lot, and appear in the 1870 census of Red River and the 1881 federal census. In 1901 he is in Wpg on that census. He died in 1913 and is buried in Old Kildonan Cemetery. There is a small marker. He is said to be Lutheran on both the 1881 & 1901. I have not found him in 1891 yet. The last name is Erasmasson in various early records but then seems to settle as Rasmussen.
When placed side by side one can see how different theses men's lives were. Any additional info or comments welcome. Suziebee

Gale Stewart

Re: Henry Erasmus, son of Peter Sr vs Henry Hans Rasmusson

Post by Gale Stewart » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 am

I believe I am the great grandchild of Sophia Erasmus (daughter of Henry Erasmus & Jane Stead) In reading the book “Buffalo Days and Nights” which is the history/biography of Peter Erasmus (brother to Henry and Uncle to my great grandmother Sophia) it indicates that Henry had three relationships, the last one being Jane Stead. Are you aware of this book?
Where did you receive your information on Henry Hans? Gale

SLang1148

Post by SLang1148 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:33 pm

I found Henry Erasmusson from Norway, in the 1891 Census. Married to Jane. 1891 Census, North Springfield, Lisgar, Manitoba. Page 5.

SLang1148

Post by SLang1148 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:46 pm

I also found Henry Erasmusson (born in Norway) and Jane Stead in the 1870 Manitoba Census St Andrews Page 140. His father is Bastian Erasmusson and Jane's father is listed as Abraham Stead. Daughter Sophia is listed as 9 years old.

Gale Stewart

Post by Gale Stewart » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 am

Hi Again
So would you say that the Hudson Bay record is incorrect?

SLang1148

Post by SLang1148 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:35 pm

The HBC Bio Sheet for Henry Rasmussen https://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca ... _henry.pdf was written in Oct 2002. For the info on Jane Stead, they are referencing Gail Morin's book, Métis Families: A Genealogical Compendium published in 1996. Unfortunately, the UofC is updating their online book site right now so I can't access this source right now. However, Gail usually references the 1870 Manitoba Census. I can see this online: http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/18 ... 985454.pdf. I suspect the HBC Bio is a merge of 2 individuals, Henry Erasmus and Henry Erasmusson.