Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

COLIN CAMPBELL McKENZIE (1866-1951)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
McKenzieAM36

COLIN CAMPBELL McKENZIE (1866-1951)

Post by McKenzieAM36 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 am

In my quest to trace my ancestors I happened upon your website and lo and behold the name Rev. Benjamin McKenzie caught my eye.
Colin Campbell McKenzie is my great grandfather, Catherine Matilda ( Birston ) my great grandmother and your website page 10 confirms fills in a lot of the gaps in my research .
My father Archibald took me on many visits to the Alec Birston farm and recounted the involvement of his uncles involvement in the building of the Wakefield Church.
Now that I have finally found a link to Colin Campbell's father Benjamin I am hoping to trace his ancestry, and did he , and when leave from Where in Scotland.
Colin McKenzie's obituary indicates he was born in the Northwest Territories and died at the age of 84 but I have no dates to these.
I am willing to make a donation to your website to support the work you have done and hope that through this site I can fill in many more blanks in the McKenzie family tree.
Does creating a Family Page help my quest for information?
Please advise.
Art McKenzie

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Colin Campbell McKenzie

Post by gnstill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 am

Welcome aboard Art!

Yes, I have quite a bit of information about your great grandfather Colin; your grandparents Katie TATARYN and Archie McKENZIE (1907-1989) as well as Arthur Matthew McKENZIE born in 1938 who I presume must be your father.

If you make a donation I will be happy to work with you to create a Family Page for the COLIN CAMPBELL McKENZIE, etc. More about that at this link: SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

Regards
Gary Still

McKenzieAM36

Re: Colin Campbell McKenzie

Post by McKenzieAM36 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi Gary:
Actually I am Arthur Matthew McKenzie son of Archibald McKenzie & Katherine Tataryn .
Archiebald McKenzie and brother Stanley McKenzie only sons of Colin Campbell McKenzie.
My research todate Colin and wife Catherine Matilda had 7 children , sons- Colin ,Benjamin , Ferdinand, Roderick ,Douglas , Findley , daughters - Harriet Leask , Evangeline.
It is the link to their father Rev. Benjamin McKenzie that I have been stuck on and have not found any trace of till now.
This is what i hope you can help me with.
I wii make my initial donation today to your website and create the Colin Campbell Mckenzie family page.
Thanks again.

Atr McKenzie.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: COLIN CAMPBELL McKENZIE (1866-1951)

Post by gnstill » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks very much for the donation Art!

I have started a Family Page for Colin. Here is the link:

FAMILY PAGE for COLIN CAMPBELL McKENZIE (1866-1915)

I have started to review my information about this family, and by some time tomorrow I should have most of my findings on that Page for your scrutiny. If you have some suitable family pictures I could add, pleas Email them to me and I will do so.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:12 pm

Email from Art McKenzie:
Hi Gary:
The Mckenzie family thanks you for the wonderful records and ancestry history you have provided.
The Colin Campbell Family Page has revealed 3 sisters and 2 brothers we had no knowledge off and the links to Rev. Benjamin which we knew about but little else has helped us better understand the the family tree going all the way back to Alexander and Catherine McKenzie in Scotland .
You mention your memory of the little house my grandfather Colin lived in on Mckenzie Road across from the school, a memory that I also recall , having visited him many times with my Dad and uncle Stanley.
We are travelling to Scotland this fall and now have a link and location of Alexander McKenzie’s resting place in the Lochinver Cemetry in Assynt Scotland which we will seek out and see the headstone that son Roddy McKenzie had placed on the burial site.
Art McKenzie

I’m sure we will all be interested in what Art finds on his trip to Scotland.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:14 pm

Art McKenzie posted: I recently returned from Assynt Scotland where I found the Stone Tablet erected in 1834 by my great , great ,great Grandfather Roderick McKenzie ( 1792 -1859) for his father Alexander McKenzie in the Lochinver Church cemetery.
This experience was a fitting end to my quest to find my roots , visit the area around Ullapool and Lochinver where my ancestors originated. We took photos and enquired about any church records dating back to the 1800's without success but were referred to Inverness archives as a possible source.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:46 pm

Art: I meant to ask – Would you like me to do a Family Page for your father, Archie McKENZIE?

McKenzieAM36

Post by McKenzieAM36 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi Gary;
Now that I have gone as far as I can with grandfathers I would like to complete the Archie McKenzie branch .
If you were to add a Archie McKenzie page , then I could add all the family info up to the present.

Art.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:04 am

Art: This morning I posted a New Family Page for your parents’ family with everything I could find. Here’s the link:

NEW FAMILY PAGE for ARCHIBALD McKENZIE (1907-1989)

I have included several questions that you may be able to answer. Please post your comments at the new Discussion Topic Link provided there.
I’m sure you will have more details that could be added, and some corrections may be needed. It would be great if you could send some family pictures (scanned) to brighten it up. If so, please sent them to me as an Email attachment.
Gary

JoanM

Post by JoanM » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Hello
I came across your page when looking for further information about Colin Campbell McKenzie, who married my husband's great-great aunt Mary Letitia Elford. This Colin is the grandson of Roderick McKenzie and the brother of Rev. Benjamin McKenzie. He is the one who become the Superintendent of Education in British Columbia after working first for the HBC in the BC interior scouting a route from Fort Alexandria to Bella Coola that the HBC could use to provision the forts in the BC interior and then as a teacher in Victoria. He is the one who attended Cambridge University after attending the Red River Academy after the death of his father Benjamin. I have quite a bit of information about Roderick's children and would be interested in communicating with you further. I also note that there is no family page for "my" Colin Campbell McKenzie and would be interested in making a donation to correct this and would also be happy to share information. I wrote an article for the Victoria Genealogical Society newsletter on this family some years ago and last year it was reprinted the McKenzie clan newsletter.
Looking forward to hearing from you