Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Elizabeth 'Betsy' Sinclair 1868

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Louanne

Elizabeth 'Betsy' Sinclair 1868

Post by Louanne » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:36 am

Hello. I am looking for info on Elizabeth 'Betsy' Thomas who was married to William Sinclair. Her birthdate was approximately 1868. Some of her children were Mary'Mope' Sinclair, Horace Sinclair,Esther Sinclair and Colin and George Sinclair

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Elizabeth 'Betsy' Sinclair 1868

Post by gnstill » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 am

Welcome aboard Louanne!

At this point I cannot be certain, but it looks like Betsy may have been a daughter of Sophie CADOTTE & Philip THOMAS (b-c1841) who lived in the St Peters Reserve.

Just by coincidence I am currently working on the descendants of NAHOVWAY & William SINCLAIR (1766-1818), the ancient ancestors of most of the early Red River SINCLAIR families. I will let you know when I post that.

A lady named Phyllis recently posted a query similar to yours on my Peter Fidler website. It appears she may be one of your cousins. Check this out by clicking on this link: Sinclairs of St Peters
However, to continue our discussion, please do so on this forum, here. I am trying to keep that other Forum for FIDLER stuff only.

gnstill
Site Admin

WILLIAM SINCLAIR (1856-1924)

Post by gnstill » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 pm

Louanne wrote in the Fidler Forum:

William had siblings named Joseph, Pierre, James Jr., Marie, Margurite, Christine and an Unknown. After doing some number crunching according to 1955 Archives doc. I got the number for Elizabeths birthdate. In that same document, it shows that she was 12 years younger than William. I like all the litle side notes on individuals as it seems to paint a picture as to what their personalities may have been back in the day.
Gary, I am from the Clemons bunch as well. I found a doc stating that John Lefoy Clemons had 3 children named, Luke, Esther Monkman (nee Clemons)and of course Ralph Clemons. - Louanne

Louanne, John CLEMONS (1830-1917) was American born. He arrived in Canada in 1862; married Margaret BEAR and later Helen STEVENSON. They had perhaps 11 children, including the ones you mentioned. After I review all my info I will probably do a page for his family. However, for now I am concentrating on the SINCLAIR families. Stay posted.

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Louanne wrote:Hello. I am looking for info on Elizabeth 'Betsy' Thomas who was married to William Sinclair. Her birthdate was approximately 1868. Some of her children were Mary'Mope' Sinclair, Horace Sinclair,Esther Sinclair and Colin and George Sinclair
Hi Louanne! I am a direct descendant of Mary "Mope" Sinclair. My Tree from the Metis Federation shows Mopes mother as Ann Elizabeth (Betsy) FAVEL, not THOMAS as shown on here. I have a picture of her. I have Betsy born Dec. 25, 1856 and her parents are Humphrey FAVEL born Dec. 1821 according to Metis Scrip, and Sophie Cochrane, daughter of Thomas Cochrane and Harriet Neetcheeshis.
I hope THOMAS is wrong and FAVEL is right, because I have so very much on FAVEL...

Bonnie o.c.

Re: WILLIAM SINCLAIR (1856-1924)

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:35 pm

gnstill wrote:Louanne wrote in the Fidler Forum:

William had siblings named Joseph, Pierre, James Jr., Marie, Margurite, Christine and an Unknown. After doing some number crunching according to 1955 Archives doc. I got the number for Elizabeths birthdate. In that same document, it shows that she was 12 years younger than William. I like all the litle side notes on individuals as it seems to paint a picture as to what their personalities may have been back in the day.
Gary, I am from the Clemons bunch as well. I found a doc stating that John Lefoy Clemons had 3 children named, Luke, Esther Monkman (nee Clemons)and of course Ralph Clemons. - Louanne

Louanne, John CLEMONS (1830-1917) was American born. He arrived in Canada in 1862; married Margaret BEAR and later Helen STEVENSON. They had perhaps 11 children, including the ones you mentioned. After I review all my info I will probably do a page for his family. However, for now I am concentrating on the SINCLAIR families. Stay posted.
I am also from the Clemons line by way of Ralph and Mope, and his daughter Stella and her first husband Lawrence Sabiston. I knew Mope, and have wedding pics of her and Ralph.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello Bonnie; great to hear from you! There were two different people with the name William SINCLAIR in my information. They are described as follows:

1) William SINCLAIR (born either May 1, 1857 or Dec 25, 1860) married Feb 6, 1882 to Ann Elizabeth FAVEL, daughter of Sophia COCHRANE & Humphrey FAVEL (1821-1888). This William and his wife were recorded continuously in the Petersfield area in censuses 1891, 1901, 1906, 1911 and 1916. No children appeared in any of the censuses. In the 1901 census they did have an adopted daughter with them, but this was their niece, Catherine SINCLAIR, daughter of Peter SINCLAIR (William’s brother) and Jane Harriet FAVEL (Ann Elizabeth’s sister).

2) William SINCLAIR (born around 1856) married Ann Elizabeth THOMAS and had about 6 children. This William and his family lived in the St Peters Reserve where William served as a councillor for the Band. The CLEMONS family also lived in the Reserve.

I would dearly love to have a copy of the wedding picture, or any other pictures related to Ralph CLEMONS. It would be nice to add a good picture to their Family Page. Is it possible that you could get scans made to send me?

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 am

gnstill wrote:Hello Bonnie; great to hear from you! There were two different people with the name William SINCLAIR in my information. They are described as follows:

1) William SINCLAIR (born either May 1, 1857 or Dec 25, 1860) married Feb 6, 1882 to Ann Elizabeth FAVEL, daughter of Sophia COCHRANE & Humphrey FAVEL (1821-1888). This William and his wife were recorded continuously in the Petersfield area in censuses 1891, 1901, 1906, 1911 and 1916. No children appeared in any of the censuses. In the 1901 census they did have an adopted daughter with them, but this was their niece, Catherine SINCLAIR, daughter of Peter SINCLAIR (William’s brother) and Jane Harriet FAVEL (Ann Elizabeth’s sister).

2) William SINCLAIR (born around 1856) married Ann Elizabeth THOMAS and had about 6 children. This William and his family lived in the St Peters Reserve where William served as a councillor for the Band. The CLEMONS family also lived in the Reserve.

I would dearly love to have a copy of the wedding picture, or any other pictures related to Ralph CLEMONS. It would be nice to add a good picture to their Family Page. Is it possible that you could get scans made to send me?
Hi Gary!
I got a new printer, and haven't yet learned how to scan and send. Maybe I could mail you a hard copy. Can you e-mail me?
While on the Manitoba Cemetries site on the government site???, I see that they have requested information for the "Breezy Point Indian Burial Grounds". I have never heard of it. Have you? I'm 73 y/o and the Cemetery site has just slipped my mind...lol.....but I will find it, or you probably know about it?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:30 pm

I have sent you an Email separately regarding photo scanning, etc.

I see you are about the same age as me; I'll be 73 next December.

Breezy Point is north of Selkirk, not far south of where Netley Creek empties into the Red River. Chief PEGUIS and his followers had a village in that area not long after they first arrived in Manitoba.

Do you live in Manitoba?

Bonnie o.c.

Post by Bonnie o.c. » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:11 pm

gnstill wrote:I have sent you an Email separately regarding photo scanning, etc.

I see you are about the same age as me; I'll be 73 next December.

Breezy Point is north of Selkirk, not far south of where Netley Creek empties into the Red River. Chief PEGUIS and his followers had a village in that area not long after they first arrived in Manitoba.

Do you live in Manitoba?
Sorry, but I know where Breezy Point is. I love that place. I was wondering about the "Breezy Point Indian Burial Grounds". I've never heard of them. It's www.canadagenweb.org cemetery project, who is looking for information on it.
I was born December 1938, the year Ralph Clemons died.
Yes, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. My parents and all of us kids, 7, were all born in Selkirk. My father is Swedish and Icelandic.
Where do you live?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:52 am

I have no idea where the Indian Burial Grounds are. First time I ever heard of that one. I wonder who posted that? If you find out, please let me know too.

I was born Dec 22, 1939. You can read all about me on the Home Page at: RED RIVER ANCESTRY HOME PAGE
or GARY STILL FAMILY PAGE

My interest in the CLEMONS family comes from my being a very close chum of Glen CLEMONS and Sammy SINCLAIR. Glen and I both went to the Mapleton School together when the old St Clements Church Hall was temporarily used as a High School because there was no room for us in the Selkirk schools.

Was your maiden name OLSON? I think I know now where you fit into the Tree. I have been trying to find the birth-date and parents for an Ernie OLSEN/ OLSON who married Alice SABISTON.