Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Post by gnstill » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:46 am

Family Page: RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Please post comments & queries about this family here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: RODERICK McKENZIE (1772-1859)

Post by gnstill » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Art McKenzie posted: I recently returned from Assynt Scotland where I found the Stone Tablet erected in 1834 by my great , great ,great Grandfather Roderick McKenzie ( 1792 -1859) for his father Alexander McKenzie in the Lochinver Church cemetery.
This experience was a fitting end to my quest to find my roots , visit the area around Ullapool and Lochinver where my ancestors originated. We took photos and enquired about any church records dating back to the 1800's without success but were referred to Inverness archives as a possible source.

Miigonasens

Post by Miigonasens » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Do you have directions to the Stone Tablet. I am planning a trip.

I am a Mckenzie through Roderick McKenzie Jr. His wife was from Manawaki, where his wife, Anne Jane Nejepegioque/Nejepegijoquque (Kwe), were married. He did was a disturber of the peace in the Temagami area. Her sons, Donald and Philip were traditionally adopted as older boys by Pikudjick a Temagami Indian. There was another son and step-children. Philip was married twice, the second was to Angen Whitebear who also had 2 previous marriages. Philips son, Donald, then married Rose Eguana. Rose and her first cousin Angele (married Archibald Stansfeld (Grey Owl) Belaney) were raised by their uncle John Egwuna and Mary Whitebear his wife. (I am unsure that Mary was her first name but know she was a Whitebear). Donald had 27 siblings and half-siblings. Maurice, Donald's son, married Laura Moore. They had dad then me. I have pictures of Philip (Roderick's son) but am still looking for Roderick Jr.

Whitebear is actually a old family but I am beginning to suspect it was an actually group/tribe if you go back into oral history. Its a theory I am working on. They married into older families here to form alliances. I have a 2nd great grandmother who is a Turner. I think that Philip Turnor did marry a Whitebear.

I also went a bit further with dna but that's another topic. But it does so far support that Philip Turnor did not have children with a Inuit woman. Its new but it has been correct for genetic relationships for cousins up to 4th cousins. I am treating dna as a tool but not an absolute. I did find that the female Whitebear line has a haplogroup found in only 3% of native people and distinctly native. I

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Welcome to the Forum Miigonasens.
Please give us your full McKENZIE name and tell us more about your ancestry – your grandparents, great grandparents (when and where they were born, etc) so we have something or someone to relate your information to.