Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JEAN LEOPOLD ISERHOFF (1786-1835)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JEAN LEOPOLD ISERHOFF (1786-1835)

Post by gnstill » Fri May 29, 2015 11:38 am

New Family Page: JEAN LEOPOLD ISERHOFF (1786-1835)

Please post comments and queries about the DESCENDANTS OF JEAN LEOPOLD ISERHOFF here.

Sheila Macauley

Re: JEAN LEOPOLD ISERHOFF (1786-1835)

Post by Sheila Macauley » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:16 pm

You have a few things incorrect about Jean Leopold Iserhoff. First, he was baptized as Jean Leopold Iserhoff and only infrequently is he found listed as Jean Baptisite Leopold Iserhoff. In all of the English records, he is called John Iserhoff. His son was presented to be baptized in 1820 in Berthier by his father and the son's name was given as Jean Baptiste Leopolde Iserhoff. Obviously the son was named after the father but when people combine the names as the same for both men, it causes mistakes. The biggest mistake you have is the death date of Jean Leopold Iserhoff, the father, as occurring on 3 Nov 1835. This is incorrect. No one has found the exact date of Jean Leopold Iserhoff's death, even me! I do know that he was alive on 26 Aug 1820 as I have a document that he signed on that day. I do know that he was dead by January 1821 because I have papers from his notary that say on that date, "the Estate of the late Mr. John Iserhoff." I know that it is quite probable that he died shortly before 30 Nov 1820 because his account with the NWC is listed as complete on that date. So, we can say that he died sometime between Aug 1820 and Nov 1820. It also is not known that he died at Grand Lake. According to my research, he died somewhere in the area of Grand Lake, but there is no record I have found that says he died at Grand Lake.

His son, Jean Baptiste Leopolde Iserhoff, died on the 5 Nov 1835 in Berthier. You have the date written as 3 Nov 1835. I checked the church record of his death date today and although it is written in French, it is very clear that the date is 5 Nov 1835.

The reason you have these mistakes is that people have copied what I have given them on their ancestry and then passed it on to Ancestry.com and other sites, with errors they have added. The worst errors are found on Ancestry.com and hopefully you are not using that for sources as the family trees on Ancestry.com have no sources. I have sources for all of my research and if you need a source, I will give it to you. I do not have my research on Ancestry.com or any site.

Also, the youngest son of Jean Leopold Iserhoff was John Iserhoff born about 1820 and died 26 Jun 1865. I created his name, John "Jack" Iserhoff as he is called John sometimes and Jack sometimes in the HBC records. Whenever I see him referred to as John "Jack" Iserhoff on the Internet, I know that someone copied it from my book/manuscript. John "Jack's" older brother was Joseph born about 1815. The date of birth of both brothers is unknown until someone can produce a source for their birth dates. Their birth years are my estimates from my research. You mention that John "Jack's" son John (B) Iserhoff married his niece, Hannah Iserhoff. This is incorrect. Hannah Iserhoff was the daughter of Joseph born about 1815. Thus John (B) married his 1st cousin Hannah, which was common in many societies. She was not his niece. Sheila Hubbard Macauley

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:14 am

It’s great to hear from you Sheila! Thanks very much for your comments and corrections. I have updated the Family Page(s) accordingly – hope I didn’t miss anything.

Wa-a-ay back in the 1950’s as a teenager I worked with the Hudson’s Bay Company as a clerk at Winisk on Hudson Bay. My best friend there was Ernie HUNTER. I remember that his sister, Agnes HUNTER, was married to an ISERHOFF and that is how I became interested in that family. I was born in 1939 and Agnes looked to be about 3 or 4 years older than me (born about 1942-1945). Do you have any info on the ISERHOFF’s who lived in that area?

Sheila Macauley

Post by Sheila Macauley » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Agnes Hunter was married to Oliver Robert Iserhoff. His parents were Philip Charles Iserhoff and Annie Atkinson.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks so much Sheila! As a result I was able to create a New Family Page for Oliver’s Grandparents at this link:
JOHN GILBERT ISERHOFF (1859-1826)
Would love to have your comments under that topic.

Sheila Macauley

Post by Sheila Macauley » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I will try and find some time to add to your page on Jean Gilbert Iserhoff. In the mean time, you still have a few places where you have the Iserhoff who took as a country wife Shabookwhy/Shabowqua, listed as Jean Baptiste Iserhoff. He should be listed as Jean Leopold Iserhoff as he was baptized and was known by that name or John Iserhoff. It is his son who was named Jean Baptiste Leopolde Iserhoff. Using the same name for both is incorrect and has led to people confusing the 2 men. It would be good if you could fix this so the information does not get more confused. You also have listed his children in a list with the birth years listed for Joseph as 1815 and John as 1820. This makes it appear that we know these are the years of their births, whereas we don't, so you should including "about 1815 and about 1820 or ca or cir" meaning about or around that time. We do not know accurately when they were born but it was about or circa 1815 and 1820.