Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

HERBERT MACKENZIE ROSS (1895-1949)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

HERBERT MACKENZIE ROSS (1895-1949)

Post by gnstill » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:14 am

New Family Page: HERBERT MACKENZIE ROSS (1895-1949)

Please post comments and queries about the HERBERT MACKENZIE ROSS FAMILY here.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: HERBERT MACKENZIE ROSS (1895-1949)

Post by gnstill » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:40 am

Sally Clark posted: Thanks, Gary! The page on my grandfather looks great. He died before I was born. My mother has dementia and can no longer give me details about him.
This is what I know…
He was an amateur boxer. His profession was a geological engineer. He and my grandmother moved to Powell River so that he could oversee the mines. He was then transferred to Lima, Peru (with his family) to oversee the mining there. After 7 years, the family moved to London, England. (1928?) He and my grandmother were offered a contract to go to Hollywood and be in 'the pictures.'(probably a family myth but they were both very good-looking) In the 1930's, he travelled (without his family) to the African Gold Coast to oversee the mines. He contracted tuberculosis (which eventually kiilled him) and moved back to London, England.
World War II broke out. He and my grandmother moved to Oxstead because of the bombing. Their house was a short distance away from where the Seaforth Highlanders were stationed. My grandfather had known my grandfather on my father's side (John Arthur "Artie" Clark) in WW I. J.A. Clark's son, Donald Clark (my father) was staying with the Seaforths and through the connection, met my mother, Joan Napier Ross.

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: HERBERT MACKENZIE ROSS (1895-1949)

Post by gnstill » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:03 am

Sally – I have updated Herbert’s Page and incorporated your comments.