Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

Daniel McAuley and Lucie Fontaine

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Chrysalid58

Daniel McAuley and Lucie Fontaine

Post by Chrysalid58 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Hello all and thanks Gary for admission to the site.

First off a big thanks to Gary for all the excellent work. Red River Ancestry has been instrumental in providing me a working knowledge of my birth father's heritage.

I was adopted in March 1958 and conceived in the summer of 57'. I have connected very positively with my birth mother and she has shared that my birth-father was named Louie Lee (spelling uncertain). They had a brief affair and I am the result LOL :)

I have next to no information on Louie Lee so I took to DNA analysis and was beyond fortunate to find a significant match with a descendant of Daniel Lewis McAuley 1874-1942 and Lucie Fontaine 1878-1946.

The young man I matched with shared 255.6 centimorgans with me and his mother even more at 495.4 cms. We are now testing an uncle of the mother with the expected result of 700-1000 cms. What all this means is that Louie Lee (my birth father) is a likely 1/2 sibling to the uncle we are testing.

I am fortunate that through DNA I also match though more distantly with a descendant of the Gullion family of Northern Alberta. There, I connect courtesy of Marie (Mary Jane) Brazeau 1847-1896 who married Daniel's father, John McAuley 1836-1893.

Finally, I also connected and share DNA with a fellow who descends from Jerome Pontbriand Dit Fontaine b. 1844 (Lucie's uncle). Since he had his family tree available we were able to measure out the generations... he is a likely 4th cousin to me. Red River Ancestry has been so helpful for me that I was very pleasantly surprised that Gary Still's own family connects via marriage to the Fontaines. How cool is that :)

The general feeling is that my birth-father was himself, adopted out. I have next to no information on him, personally. He was born circa 1928 and was apparently a fixture around the Canadian Legions in Victoria BC in the 1960s and 70s frequently performing with his guitar. I have few if any DNA matches with the surname, Lee and no idea of whom his mother might have been.

Thanks again for admission to the site

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: Daniel McAuley and Lucie Fontaine

Post by gnstill » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:06 pm

Welcome to the website Chrysalid.
Unfortunately I can't seem to find any links on the Red River Website that are connected to any of the names you mentioned.
What family on Red River Ancestry is connected to your family and how?

Chrysalid58

Post by Chrysalid58 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi Gary :)

Well as stated my connect is via DNA. However, you have the following listed:

Children:
1. Jan 28, 1830 JEAN BAPTISTE PONTBRIAND dit FONTAINE (m. Angelique OUELLETTE)
2. 1832 MARGUERITE FONTAINE (m. Heli ARMSTRONG)
3. Jun 2, 1832 MOISE PONTBRIAND dit FONTAINE (m. Francoise GUIMOND)
** MORE ABOUT MOISE FONTAINE
4. Aug 4, 1834 SUZANNE de PONTBRIAND FONTAINE
5. 1840 LOUIS FONTAINE (m. Marie BLONDIN)
6. c1843 WILLIAM FONTAINE
7. 1844 JEROME FONTAINE (m. Nancy CHAPMAN)
8. 1850 ANGELIQUE FONTAINE
9. 1856 PAUL FONTAINE (m. Julie (Josette) SYLVESTRE)

Paul Fontaine is "very likely" my 2nd great grandfather

His daughter Lucie Fontaine 1878-1946 married Daniel Lewis McAuley 1874-1942

Their son James McAuley 1903-1991 is "likely" my grandfather

Your information appears at the following URL ...

http://www.redriverancestry.ca/FONTAINE ... E-1798.php

I should add that Daniel is the son of Mary Jane Brazeau the daughter of Joseph Edward Brazeau

Here's an Edmonton Journal 2 part article on him --- he is my likely 3x great grandfather

https://www.fortedmontonpark.ca/1846-fo ... e-brazeau/

I am trying to protect the identity of my DNA matches out of respect for their privacy. Suffice to say the DNA evidence is very strong in tying me into this family at the range of
a 2nd cousin maximum i.e., a male sibling of James McAuley but at this point the likely scenario is that James, himself is my grandfather.

Thanking you again :)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:21 am

Chrysalid: New Page for your great-great grandparents at this link:
JOHN MACAULAY (1836-1891+)
Look forward to further discussions under that Topic

Chrysalid58

Post by Chrysalid58 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi Gary :)

Thanks so much for adding this entry. That's my branch all right :)

Again, I wish to convey my gratitude for making such an excellent resource for Metis ancestry. I have found it to be invaluable.