Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

ALEXANDER McLEOD (1825-1885)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Redhairedgirl

Re: ALEXANDER McLEOD (1825-1885)

Post by Redhairedgirl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 am

Thanks for that info, yes I knew that. In the book written by Carolyn Tumber she mentions that and had posted some pictures, but all black and white and very small in her book.
It would be awesome to see more of them if you are willing to share. I understand the area is quite beautiful.
Wendy

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:42 am

Shelley: I would love to put a few of your pictures on the Family Page for Alex McLEOD. With your permission I will do so and provide link to your website as well.

Barry & Wendy: Do you have more details about Alex and his travels? My information is rather skimpy in that regard.
Gary

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am

Somewhere in my family tree files, I have a copy of his payroll records from HBC. It lists all the posts he worked at.
That's about all I have. I don't remember if I put it up on my tree on ancestry but I can have a look.
My files have been misplaced in my house, so that's something I've been trying to find. We had someone living here that might have thrown my files out. :cry:

shelley

Post by shelley » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:06 am

Gary by all means you can add some of my photos and link to my website ( I will email you)...and if I can get a contact email ( Wendy) I can send on all the photos I have of the New Post Grave site I found it pretty amazing it is very very "wild" you would never locate the site if you had no knowledge of it location on the river...I just finished a
painting the New Post Falls..( waterfall). I am a landscape painter and I picked New Post as my Ontario location in a New series I have started ...i was really amazed to see the New Post Cemetery!!

Shelley

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Shelley
My email is carsoneb@sympatico.ca. Alexander and Jane were my great great grandparents. Their son George was my great grandfather.
Thank you very much for you generosity.
Do you show your paintings anywhere?
Wendy

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:25 am

Photos and Link have been added: ALEXANDER McLEOD (1825-1885)

RyanJames

Post by RyanJames » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:29 pm

gnstill wrote:One of their great grandchildren, Carolyn Tumber wrote a book about the McLEOD's of Moose Factory.
As well, the book "A Fur Trader's Story", written by Jock Anderson, son in law of George and Isabella, described the way of life for the fur trader's and trappers. It can be found online, and mentions many names of the people that lived and worked in the north.
If anyone is interested, I am more than willing to share what information I have on the McLEOD family. I have done extensive research and found many documents to support what I have.
Regards, Wendy
Hi there, first time poster on this forum, so hopefully the quote thing worked for me :)

I'm also a descendent of Alexander Joseph McLeod. Lineage as follows:

Alexander Joseph McLeod and Jane Turner's Son George B. McLeod had a son Hubert McLeod, who had a son Ron McLeod, who had a daughter Pamela McLeod, who had me, Ryan Monteith. I was born in 1976.

I have a question for Wendy regarding the book written by Jock Anderson. My Grandfather (Ron) told me about this book but he referred to it as having the title "The End of an Era". Regardless of title, do you have a copy of the book written by Jock Anderson? I can't find it anywhere online under either title or author name... I would also like to acquire a copy of Carolyn Tumber's book as this is the first I've heard about it but nothing comes up in Google. Please let me know. Thanks!

Ryan

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Hi Ryan!
I well remember Uncle Hubert and Aunt Alva! Please email me at carsoneb@sympatico.ca. My grandmother is one of (my great Uncle) Hubert's sisters.
A Fur Trader's Story is also in the Ontario Library System, as I had ordered it through my local library several years back.
http://archive.org/details/furtradersstory006993mbp Here is the link for the book, online. It just says Fur Trader's Story, by J.W. Anderson.
For Carolyn's book, I have misplaced my copy, it's somewhere in my house, and in it, is her address. It's a self published soft cover book. If memory serves me, she lived in Port Severn.
Looking forward to hearing from you cousin!
Wendy

woodymacd@gmail.com

Post by woodymacd@gmail.com » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi I am Donald Sherwood MacLeod (McLeod) My great grandfather was George McLeod My grandfather was Hubert MacLeod and my father was Gerald MacLeod

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 pm

woodymacd@gmail.com wrote:Hi I am Donald Sherwood MacLeod (McLeod) My great grandfather was George McLeod My grandfather was Hubert MacLeod and my father was Gerald MacLeod

Hi Donald - we are cousins for sure! My grandmother was Florence Clara McLeod deForest, her daughter Clara, my Mom.
My Grandmother and your Grandfather were brother and sister.
We are planning a McLeod family reunion, we have a facebook page for anyone on here that is interested. Trying to get something planned for July 2016.

Email me at carsoneb@sympatico.ca if you are interested. We have many, many relatives!
Wendy :D