Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

Post by gnstill » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 pm

New Family Page: JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

Please post comments & queries about this family hereunder.

jstraf

Re: JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

Post by jstraf » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Hello Gary, thank you for adding me and I sure hope I'm doing this right!

I'm a descendant of Joseph Jr and Sarah Humpervilles daughter Mary who married James Goodlad. I originally read your forum while investigating Philip Turner Sr after my son learned about him in school and my mother mentioned we were descendants. I have her copy of "Across The River" by Pearl Weston and wanted to offer any help I can with it.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 am

Welcome to the Forum jstraf! (It would be nice to have a first name to address you by).

Do you know anything about Mary’s sister Sarah who married George GOODFELLOW? The surnames GOODFELLOW and GOODLAD have me puzzled. Are these actually two different surnames?

It would be nice to know more about your own lineage; which of the GOODLAD children do you descend from?

Gary

jstraf

Post by jstraf » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 am

Sorry Garry, my name is Janine!

As far as I can tell they are different. In my limited research my sister and I have done I've come across what may have been James's father. They are listed as Goodlet or Goodlad. I haven't seen any listings where Goodfellow and Goodlad have been combined like above.

http://www.mytrees.com/newanc/Other/Bor ... 1-692.html

I don't know anything about her sister but I'm going to ask my aunt about it. She has more information than I have and has done years of research into our family history.

Mary and James daughter Sarah Goodlad is my great-grandmother, her daughter Ida Sutherland being my grandmother.

:o)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:24 pm

Thanks Janine!

I have Sarah GOODLAD married to Alexander SUTHERLAND, your great grandfather (Ida’s father). My info on your lineage ends there.

I look forward to more info on the GOODFELLOW – GOODLAD puzzle.

tory

Post by tory » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi My name is Tory Vanstone and my family is the Goodfellows my 3rd Great grandfather was George Goodfellow he was the husband of Sara Turner he came from Scotland and was an interpreter for the Hudson Bay and then head of the fort in La Corne . They lived in Fort La Corne Sask or north west Territories.I have a family tree of most of the descendents and the Goodfellows and Goodlads are defiantly different families.According to my tree the Goodlads are from Mary Turner and the Goodfellows are through Sara.I have several other names on the tree if I am able to get my scanner to upload it I would be happy to share,nice to see more family out there! :D

jstraf

Post by jstraf » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Tory you are right. In the book there is several Goodfellows listed but unfortunately it stops after Sarah's children. I thought perhaps the names got mixed up. There is a picture in the book titled "Sarah (Turner) Goodfellow and Granddaughter" I can take a picture if you'd like.

Fort a la Corne and the Glen Mary district are very near to me. My sister was out at the graveyard last summer when we realized we were so close and took some pictures. Many of our common ancestors are buried there. We are planning a road trip this summer to try to document and photograph these places.

Janine

:)

tory

Post by tory » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:08 pm

There are so many fascinating stories from our family but our first born James was deaf and was one of the first students for the deaf and dumb in Montreal.....what a feat it must have been to have sent your child from Sask to Montreal to educate them!!!! Two boys helped to build the town hall in prince albert sask two more boys moved to Drumhellar Alberta these are my descendents I could go on ....Lol

tory

Post by tory » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 pm

Our family is truly FASCINATING!!! I have much info I would love to share! Any photos or stories would be great!! I would be so thrilled to see your trip in photos.. the photo of Sara and granddaughter is that of Sara and Katy Graves I think. Her mother had died from disease and her father was dia
gnased with tuberculous,he left Canada after his diagnosis and never returned until Katy was in her teens Sara begged to be able to keep Katy until she died..she was very elderly at this point...long story short it is was because of a story in our family that uncovered the truth of our Metis roots!

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 am

In order to avoid confusion and keep things in perspective, I have created preliminary Family Pages for both the GOODLAD and GOODFELLOW ancestors at the inks below. Hereafter, please post comments under the preset Forum Topics Links provided in each of these pages.

JAMES GOODLAD FAMILY PAGE

GEORGE GOODFELLOW FAMILY PAGE

I have access to your Family Tree information on Ancestry.ca, and I have lots of other information myself. However, due to time constraints, it may be some time before I can complete these pages. They are not presently on my Priority List. More about that at this Link: SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES