Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Connie Woodman

Re: JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

Post by Connie Woodman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Hello,
I am a decedent of Joseph Turner and Sarah Humpreville through their daughter Francis Matilda Turner married to Charles Woodman. My grandfather is Alfred Percy Woodman and my father is Alfred William Woodman. Am looking for other family members. I would like to find out more information about Francis and my grandfather. Chi-miigwetch.
Constance Woodman

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 pm

Welcome to the Forum Connie!

Your great-great grandfather Charles WOODMAN was born Apr 16, 1860 in England. He was an Accountant in a General Store in Prince Albert.
Your grandfather Alfred Percy WOODMAN was born 1888 in Prince Albert. He worked there as a Salesman and a Sawyer at the Lumber Yard and the Sawmill

Connie Woodman

Post by Connie Woodman » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Thanks for the information, Gary. I have no information about my grandfather because he passed when my father was a boy. Do you know which sawmill he worked for because my maternal grandfather, Sandy McKeen owned a sawmill as well as a flour and feed store in Prince Albert. I would also like to know where he is buried.
And thank you for your quick reply.

Charles Woodman

Post by Charles Woodman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:07 am

Hi Connie,

I too am a descendant of Charles and Frances Woodman. Charles not only had a general store but also started one of the first breweries in the city - Caledonia Brewery. It didn't last too long. My grandfather was Joseph Woodman. My mother had done a lot of work and research on the family. I lived in Prince Albert, Sask for awhile and there is lots of history there on our family. Most of Charles and Frances (Fanny) sons were part of the volunteer fire department there and there names are up on the wall of the old fire department that is now a museum. One of the streets is named after one of our ancestors. I know one of the Woodmans actually was elected to the city council. Some of the sons were avid hockey players and played on the Prince Albert Mintos.

One of my great uncles was Charles Woodman who lived in Meadow Lake Saskatchewan and he was a business man as well and ran the bus depot there. His father was in the NWMP and was posted in Duck Lake during the battle at Batoche. I am thinking his father was a brother to Charles Woodman.

I have a lot of photos and information on the family and will go through the info. I have been to the cemetery just on the east side of the city near the Pen. I know Charles and Frances are buried there along with a number of there sons. I have photos and will try to see if I have one of your grandfather's head stone.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks very much Charles! I have more information about the WOODMAN families, including the Alfred WOODMAN who was with the NWMP during the Rebellion. In 1891 he was a 27 year old ‘Saloon Keeper’ in Prince Albert and was married to Christina OLSEN.
There was also a Walter WOODMAN who was wounded in the Battle at Duck Lake.

It would be interesting to work with someone to do a Family Page for Charles WOODMAN (1860-1911) but unfortunately I have a lot on my table these days and it is not one of my priorities at this time. I have been getting a lot of requests for doing this stuff lately from people who make Donations and have been devoting most of my time to their requests. More about that at this link: SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

denice

Post by denice » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi there. Harriet Turner - Joseph's daughter is my gggrandmother. I am curious if anyone has stumbled upon an census that lists Joseph or his brother Philip and their families? I am also seeking any information on "Emma" Good. I understand that she was in Moose Factory, but there are no families with the last name "Good" on the island. There are plenty of people with the last name Turner, Udgarden (became Gunner), Mcleod, Morrison, Moars (now Moore), Iserhoff, Hunters, Issac, Sutherland, Linklater but no "Goods".

ValSawatzky

Post by ValSawatzky » Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:49 pm

12. Dec 4, 1860 HANNAH TURNER (m. William Henry BARTLETT)
This was My great great grandmother and Grandfather . any information would be wonderful.
She was the daughter of Joseph Turner and Sarah Umphreville