Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

BAIKIE SINCLAIR (1802-1887)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
thefishiologist

Re: BAIKIE SINCLAIR (1802-1887)

Post by thefishiologist » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks A.J.

Further to your comment, I have a possible reference to Margaret Gowdie's parents: Joseph Goudie and Grizal Calder. I believe we dug it up in the Orkney archives when we were there, but I can't remember. I have no information on Joseph's parents.

We visited Orphir in 2007 and viewed the church where Baikie and Frances were baptized. Frances married William MacKay (b. 1809 in Halkirk, Caithness), who was a member of John Rae's expedition to the Arctic. They lived at a house called Hall of Clestrain, just outside of Orphir.
-Kirsten

d.r.sinclair

Post by d.r.sinclair » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:46 pm

Hello all,

My name is Douglas Richard Sinclair. I attend U of T Mississauga campus. I enrolled in a History and Writing course. I chose to right about my Métis family history. I am the son of Bruce Sinclair, who is the son of Gary Malcolm Sinclair, who was the son of Stanley Harold Sinclair.

I asked my Grandfather about the details of my ancestry as far back as he knew. He told me that we descended from Baikie Sinclair.

I would appreciate any further information anyone can offer. If anyone can share stories, information, pictures, documents, and or are willing to be interviewed, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Douglas

Lrygaard

Post by Lrygaard » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:25 am

I am the great great granddaughter of Baike Sinclair living in BC ..I would welcome any family connections and Information as I work on my family tree . I am also searching for more information on His son Joseph my great grandfather he seems to be a myth.....
My personal email is lrygaard@hotmail.com or find me on messenger Lynnda Banerd Rygaard.
Lynnda Rygaard

bthor

Post by bthor » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Daughter Elizabeth married Robert Baillie. I have search all Balsillie family members and can not find a Robert born any earlier than 1870.

flower.hippy

Post by flower.hippy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:16 am

Hey Everyone! I realize that no one has posted in a long time, but I thought I would give this a shot.

Elizabeth Swain is my fourth Great Grandmother (Isabella is my third Great Grandmother, Catherine is my second Great Grandmother, Jemina is my Great Grandmother) and I am looking for more information on Elizabeth Swain and her parents.

There is mention that Elizabeth is the daughter of an English man who worked for the HBC company and a First Nation Mother.

There is also mention on ancestry.ca that Elizabeth's mother's name was Mary Three Dresses. I have yet to see any information that supports the name though. It does seem that many First Nation women that married European men were renamed Mary on the marriage "certificates".

On a 1818-1870 Genealogies of Red River Households list it does mention that yes Elizabeth is Metis, but no father ID or mother ID.

I imagine due to the area that Elizabeth's mother may have been Cree or Ojibwa.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated!

Update:
I have managed to finally find Elizabeth's father and it all makes so much sense now. A lot of people have been getting her confused with James Swain and his daughter Elizabeth, but she married a Mcleod.

Our Elizabeth is the daughter of Thomas Swain. James's brother. There is not a a lot on Thomas. Yes he worked for HBC and he worked as a writer, no there are no records of him other than a few journal entries from the HBC archives that mention him. He is listed as married to an "Unidentified First Nation woman".

You can find the link between Thomas and our Elizabeth on
resistancemothers.wordpress.com
which is another great website for research.