Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

James Spence

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Thomas

James Spence

Post by Thomas » Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm

Gary
More on James Spence,son of James Spence sr. and Nestichio Batt

James and Mary [not margaret] had 3 children, Ellen,Peter, and Donald. Ellen married Jeramiah cook the son of William Hemming Cook [English] and Kahnawpawama Cocking [Metis]. They had 3children, George, Robert and Harriet.
Harriot Cook Born 11 May 1850 St. James, Assinaboia is the wife of Benjamin McKenzie, Born 1837 [Metis] who you have written extensively of. Not sure if this is new to you, let me know if you would like more detail, or not.

Cheers Thomas

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: James Spence

Post by gnstill » Fri May 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Check again Tom - Link: REV BENJAMIN McKENZIE]

Benjamin McKENZIE's wife was Harriet FIDLER (1839-1928).

What is the source of your information about James SPENCE?

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat May 21, 2011 9:26 am

Gary
The source of the information is a fairly exhaustive genealogy entitled "Isaac Batt [1751-1791] and a native woman", completed 2 Dec. 1997, and revised 4 Aug. 1999. I received this from the Glenbow Archive of Alberta. Their file numbers are M-7144 and M-8736-9. I could send the files to your E-Mail as they are in PDF form, please let me know. I certainly have encountered errors in information related to my own research and know doubt there is an error here. The title of this document is no exception, Isaac was born in the 1720s'. I did a little further checking [Sprague and Frye 1983 and HBC] and yes there is cause for head scratching, hope your sources are better.

It is not my intention to offend and am sorry if I did!!
Cheers Thomas

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 21, 2011 11:59 am

No offense, and no apology needed Tom. I probably know the frustrations that can be encountered with erratic information as well as anyone. Unfortunately, like bad gossip, this stuff gets picked up by other people and it gets spread far and wide as if it was the gospel. I get caught off guard occasionally myself. Unless supporting documented evidence is provided, I am usually skeptical. I often present my own theories about different subjects when there is nothing else out there to refer to but I always try to indicate when I am making guesses or assumptions. You will probably see a lot of question marks (?) before some of my stuff indicating that I don't know for certainty.

By the way, JAMES SPENCE is one of those frustrating names (like John Smith) I most frequently find conflicting information about. The surname THOMAS is another one. That's what this Forum is about; getting to the truth!

Please do send me those files so we can sort things out.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Thanks very much for sending me that stuff. After a quick review, somehow I'm not inclined to put much credence in that outline. It looks like just a bunch of notes and references that someone hastily jotted down when they visited the archives. The individual people in it are only vaguely and indirectly referenced, etc.

Harriet COOK is clearly identified in her Scrip record (a reliable source) as born May 11, 1850, wife of Roderick McKENZIE; daughter of Ellen SPENCE & Jeremiah COOK.
The Roderick McKENZIE referred to is also identified in Scrip as born Mar 13, 1848, son of halfbreed Matilda & Donald McKENZIE, Scotch.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun May 22, 2011 8:04 am

OK Gary
So whoever put that together got the wrong McKenzie...Should have been Roderick not Benjamin. Yet another lesson re source material
Well done