Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PRUDEN - BALSILLIE - FLETT

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
bthor

PRUDEN - BALSILLIE - FLETT

Post by bthor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:22 pm

Hi gnstill,

You have done a wonderful job on the web site! It made it so easy to get information on the Pruden site of our family tree.

There is a small problem on the John "Edward" Pruden page. Daughter Ellen married in Winnipeg to James Balsillie, "son" not daughter of Ann Flett & John Balsillie and John Balsillie lived between 1839-1906. Ref. Manitoba Historical Society online bio page.

Also James Balsillie did not have a middle name, his younger brother James Allen Rowland Balsillie did.

Keep-up the good work.
Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

PRUDEN - BALSILLIE

Post by gnstill » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks very much for that information Beth!

I have made those corrections on the J.E. PRUDEN web page. Are you a descendant of one of those families?

bthor

Re: Great Web Site

Post by bthor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:20 pm

My husband, Grant is one of Ellen and James's great-grandsons. We have three kids and five grandchildren. I want to make sure the facts are right for them, if they ever deside to look.

My new quest is to find out more on Ann Flett. Did you know John and Ann had a daughter in 1862 names Florence Ann... I am finding the history of the Red River Settlement very interesting. I haven't desided where to look next, any suggestions?

Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

Re: PRUDEN - BALSILLIE - FLETT

Post by gnstill » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:00 pm

Ann FLETT was born Jan 26, 1844 in St Paul Parish, daughter of Euphemia HALCROW & Peter FLETT (1812-c1905). Around 1860 Annie began a relationship with John BALSILLIE who you already know about.

My information seems to indicate that Annie and John BALSILLIE parted ways. John remarried in 1867 to Adelaide ROWLAND while Annie remarried around 1872 to Joseph AKROYD (born c1851 in England).

Ann & Joseph AKROYD had five daughters, all born in Winnipeg by 1881. Joseph died at some time before 1891 and Annie raised the girls on her own by working as a laundress and domestic/ housekeeper. She never re-married and she died in Winnipeg on Sep 16, 1927. Does this ring any bells?

bthor

Post by bthor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Thank-You Gary!

You have confirmed the family secert. The two Balsillie families have been trying to find the connection since 2000. I don't beleive Ann and John were married because James was baptized Flett and he didn't figure out how to spell his name until his late teens. I also found all of Peter and Euphemia's children born after 1850 in th St. Paul Anglican church files at the Manitoba Genealogical Society.
Thanks for the info on Ann. I found her living next door to James and his Grandparents in the 1881 Census. I did some research online and was sad to see she lost her grandson, Cecil Ackroyd Falls, at 18 years of age, in WW1. This was, for me, the first time a family member died at war.
Now to find John "Edward" Pruden's siblings. From what I've seen John Peter Pruden has 1000's and 1000's of descendent all over north america! I have no ambition to connect all of them.

You have been very, very helpful
Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:37 am

If you click on ‘Descendants’ at the top of this page you will find PRUDEN, John Edward in the listing there. Click on that and you will see that John Edward b-1839 (who married Mary ISBISTER) was the son of Josephte JOLICOEUR & Peter PRUDEN (1807-1889).

Edward had about 11 siblings (children of Peter PRUDEN). I haven’t done a page for this particular family but might consider doing so if there is enough interest. Are there any siblings of Edward you are particularly interested in?

bthor

Post by bthor » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:29 pm

I found the info I was looking for and nothing very interesting there, but I did find John Edward " Ted" Harriott a bit more fascinating. He may not have been important, but interesting.
I also ckecked out a few more of your pages, Ventrice Parent's what a sad story.