Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN ROBERT MOORE (1862-1937)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gonzo1956

Re: JOHN ROBERT MOORE (1862-1937)

Post by gonzo1956 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:35 am

Hi, not sure who you mean John thomas? anyway i have a pile of info here, mainly from Ann Lindsay at U of W and Donna Sutherland who got info. from the Archives and the MB.geneology society.
thanks Colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Typo! I meant JOHN MOORE; where was he born and who were his parents? Also what is the source of your information?

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi again, its a little confusing but i dont think John Moore was married twice,once to Clemence Ross and the other to Nancy Thomas as when i looked at the children born to Clemence, Catharine was born 1826 and says she was born in St.Andrews ,John didn't retire here until 1859 and John would have been 22, also the other child rodrick mark says he was born in 1820 in the n/w but John would have only been 16 at the time. Let me know if you find something different , im always interested in finding out this puzzle
thanks
Colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Colleen: I’m always skeptical of second-hand (hearsay) information that cannot be supported by documented evidence. At least Sprague & Frye is a reputable source reference. However the authors do admit that errors creep in, particularly when it comes to birth-dates of early Métis families.

Who is the Mark you referred to regarding the child Roderick MOORE?

I too am very much interested in sorting out this puzzle. In order to put things in perspective, I am going to compose a page about your grandparents Harriet & Robert MOORE with what information I have. I might have it finished some time tomorrow, so stay tuned.

My own interest in all of this of course is with regards to Margaret MOAR/ MOORE and Thomas THOMAS as the adoptive parents of Ventrice (FIDLER) THOMAS. While you are waiting for my new page about Robert MOORE, please have another look at this page: THOMAS THOMAS (1845-1926)

Please post any comments or queries about Thomas THOMAS under the Forum Topic indicated on that page.

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Hi,
John Moar was b)1803 at the Moose factory post hudson bay co. His parents were Andrew Moar and Mary(Imokquay).He went to school at Moose factroy at one point. He started his career with HBC in the year 1818. His postions were middleman,labourer,steersman,boute. His work record goes to the year 1860 where he then ritired to Red river settlement.His sibblings were Thomas,robert,peter(george,james,william)all died 1814.the youngest brother Alexander went back to Orkney with Andrew i 1836.John Moar m)Nancy Thomas and their children were John who m)Matilda Mouriseau,Louisa who M)richard Settee,Margaret who m)Thomas Thomas,Carlotte who m)Thomas Folster, Robert who m)Harriot Robillard,and there might have been one more possibly Richard who went to australia.John Moar worked at Eastmain,woswonaby,Mistassini and rupert House. When John Moar retired they lived somewhere around st.Clements. He farmed and fished after retirement.around the year 1892 they lived in Ponemah MB.His son robert and Roberts son Peter lived with them. John Moar d)April 6 1898 and is burried at the Mapleton cemetary.
Source of info:Most of my info.came from Donna Sutherland who was studying Historian work at the archives and some came from Ann Lindsay who does historian work at the u of w. some info.i collected myself from speaking with the elder relitives.I guess it is possible that John was married twice,it would be interesting to confirm that,which raises more questions like what happened to Clemence Ross, I know about 10 years ago Donna s thought that he was married twice but further research she thought no he wasnt,so i kind of forgot about that.
colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Colleen: I was busy all day working on the Family Page; couldn’t get it finished today, but have a look at what I have so far: ROBERT MOAR aka MOORE (1856-1925)

Let’s continue this conversation under the new Forum Topic indicated on that page. Can you tell us more about Harriet ROBILLARD (when, where born, who her parents were, etc)? Also more background about Robert would be nice; perhaps some pictures you may have?
Cheers, Gary

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi,
In regard to some of the Moore children:taken from census records and land scrip who's parents are Clemence Ross and John Moore they are Catherine b)1826, Emma b)1823,Roderick Mark b)1820.
I have a document from Sprague and Frye that Donna Sutherland gave me years ago that does say John Moar was married twice,once to Clemence Roww and the other Nancy Thomas.The years these children were born would make John Moar 16 at the time and also these children say they were born in St.Andrews. John Moar was with HBC Ontario and Quebec until 1859/60 when he retired to Red River. Thats what is confusing to me. I have a 1916 census for Robert Moore , his address is Townships 16 and 17, range 3,4,and 5 . I know at one point he lived in St.Clements, Ponemah,Matlock.
thanks colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:31 am

Colleen: I think we can put that one to rest. I’m convinced now that John MOAR (1777-1843) did not have a second marriage to Nancy THOMAS, and that he is definitely not our John MOAR (1805-1898) who DID marry Nancy THOMAS. See my update: JOHN MOAR (1777-1843) UPDATE

Kennedy/Thomas

Post by Kennedy/Thomas » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:41 pm

I think the main thing about the Moores/Moars is that they were more Indian than European in the most commonest sense-more than the half that their counterparts, the Metis, are said have been at the time(more than a hundred years ago and counting). There is a family story about how the Thomas's(my line being that of Juliet Thomas back to her parentage, William Thomas and Marry Stevenson and further back yet to who I think was William Thomas's father, Simon Thomas(1810-1888) were related to the Moores/Moars. And when I say related I mean that the Indian families of the time and place were related and well aware of that fact. I also think that this is were the story of old aunt Katie comes from; another younger Katie from the Clan Thomas who helped raise Murray Sinclair. Stories have a way of repeating themselves through displaced generations, why I don't know, perhaps to keep a connection to our roots. I was told as a child from some of the Moores/Moars that the Thomas's in my family tree, again my closest link being that of Juliet Thomas who married John George Kennedy, were all related. The Moore family is like the glue that holds the whole notion of English people with Indian genes attending Anglican churches on the weekends in the Red River Valley while ignoring the ways of the Saulteaux Bear Clan families migrating from Quebec/Ontario to Manitoba [Sutherland and Sanderson surnames started to appear, in this case, who were already mixed with the Thomas's who were so large they must of have had members from the Cree Bear and Cree Crane/Loon Clans and so to did the Moores eventually] together. See: http://www.redriverancestry.ca/MOORE-ROBERT-1862.php?

Assumptions are as follows: there was more than one Simon Thomas amongst the Thomas's(Indians) of early Manitoba; more than one William Thomas; Simon Thomas was a patent land holder ie. possibly having nothing to do with the reserve system per se issued by ?; William Thomas was granted land off the reserve and his son-in-law John George Kennedy is the son of a militia man, Alexander Kennedy, who wrote a letter to the government requesting his land back since he served in the militia while he was MIA; William Thomas's daughter Juliet Thomas married John George Kennedy because she thought money was good for men who left the reserve as noted on her scrip - she married a man working away from the reserve(maybe living off or on the reserves still?) so she wouldn't be needing a share of the money her reserve was getting at the time; Robert Moore is a member of the Nile Expedition and the group that ended the rebellion - pretty strange if you ask me; (John) Robert Moore's step-daughter Alice Moore(b. 1884) marries a Charles Edwin Mayo whose son Wallace Mayo marries Agnes Matilda Kennedy who as already stated in another post got introduced to each other via a Rachel Thomas, Agnes's Kennedy's real aunt, her mother Juliet Thomas's sister.

Anyway, the following link described the leadership among the Indians around York Factory at the time of the above family associations for what I think can be seen from the angle(only one of many angles) that the Cree Crane and Cree Loon Clans of the time and place mixed with other Ojibwa and Saulteaux who came to the area for business, including the Bear Clan familes of the Sutherlands, Sandersons and Stevensons(Surgeons), although the Stevensons here would have been both Bear and/or Crane/Loon Clans as well as both so-called English half-breeds and French half-breeds respectively of course. See: http://www.cecmanitoba.ca/resource/hear ... 1,2013.pdf

Did I mention that the William Thomas in my family tree married a Marry Ann Stevenson and not Stevens(English) but that there was most likely a Stevens male in her lineage at some point.

SLang1148

Post by SLang1148 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:35 pm

While searching for Agnes grace Sanderson Metis Scrip Declarations I found the following: Alice Maud Moore.
Moore, Alice Maud; address: Selkirk; born: 6 April, 1884 at Fort Simpson; father: ?; mother: Grace Agnes Moore (Métis); claim no. 1585.
Check out the following Site. http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/ourl/res ... m&lang=eng

So I don't think John Robert Moore is Alice Maud Moore's biological father. For daughter Margaret Moore (1878-1891), Agnes Grace Moore claimed that Adolphus Cameron (1852-) was the father.