Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN MOAR aka MOORE (1805-1898)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JOHN MOAR aka MOORE (1805-1898)

Post by gnstill » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 am

New Family Page: JOHN MOAR aka MOORE (1805-1898)

Please post comments & queries about John and his family here.

gonzo1956

Re: JOHN MOAR aka MOORE (1805-1898)

Post by gonzo1956 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Hi Gary,
Excellent job on the forum.
I have a few documents , one is from Samuel Taylors diary. He talks about John Moar,WM Taylor , Thomas Kipling and himself going fishing,this is dated 1864.He also talks about the scarlet fever going its rounds and has laid Thomas Moars wife over and John Moar's wife Nancy is also laid over with it.He say's Thomas Moar died Jan.30 1865. "
not sure who this Thomas is,must be a relative, John had a brother Thomas but he didn't retire to Red river.Also same year that Robert Moar brought down our cattle to Elizabeth Moar's house in Mapleton.
thanks

Colleen

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi again,
I also have a book that is written by Jennifer Brown,it is call Strangers in blood she talks about Imockquay the wife of Andrew Moar . Looks like the info came from HBCA B.59/z/1. page 185 in book.
Another book i have is Many Tender Ties written by Sylvia Van Kirk she shows a copy of a marriage certificate of John Moars son John who married Matilda Morriseu in 1859,the parents signitures on also on there.
I have a copy of Andrew Moars will where he names his sons and what he left for them.
I also have the reel no. that most of the info. came from the Hudson Bay Archives , i put them in the last post but i guess i took too long in typing and it disapeared.
thanks again
Colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Colleen: Please take a look at my latest update:
JOHN MOAR aka MOORE (1805-1898) UPDATED

Love to hear your comments on a few new points and some new puzzles I have created.

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi Gary,
What an excellent job you have done. I'm still working so i can only go online certain times but i'll tell you this is going to be my hobby when i retire.
I have recently found the old house in Ponemah that John and Nancy Moar lived in , i can't believe that its still standing. My Uncle Clarance Moore who is ninty three told me that Nancy planted a tree there that would be over 100 years old now and sure enough there is a giant oak.
I think that daughter margaret and son in law Thomas lived there first and maybe when John and Nancy were too old to live on their own they moved in with them. The address seems to be so close to where you said that Thomas and Margaret lived. It's on Nelson Ave. by the train tracks,about a block from the lake in Ponemah where the house is . I want to confirm this address with the old system to see if it matches. "funny little story" i contacted the people who own it now and explained who i was and she said do you want it, she's been waiting for her husband to tear it down for 10 years now so she can have a new cottage put there. I was speachless, in other words she wanted it torn down as it's not safe to live in.
John Moars brother Thomas also married a Matilda,this Matilda was Nancy Thomas's sister,Matilda Thomas.They stayed around the Quebec area."Frank Speck " an anthropologist did a story on the Moars from there when they were investigating a story on Mistassini Hunting Territories, and one of their children Tommy Moar he interviewd in 1939 and his picture is on the wall at the Archives of Manitoba.
John Moars son John who married Matilda Morriseau spent all his life in Ontario, Dryden,Kenora,eagle lake, i did trace some of their children.
Charlotte Moar is the youngest child of John and Nancy, she married Thomas Folster, they had 2 kids but they moved to BC.
There was another son that John and Nancy had , and sometime around 1840-1855 he fled to Austrlia no one seems to know his name, i think it was Richard as Nancy's brother's name was Richard.I did find a Richard but then he disapeared. A lady that worked at the MB Geneology Society said she was a descendant from the Moar/Fiddler's and new the story but would not elaborate on it. So,something else to investigate.
I'll go for now, thanks, Colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:54 pm

Colleen: This is getting more intriguing every day. I’m having trouble keeping up with your revelations.

Regarding Charlotte MOORE who married Thomas FOLSTER:

Your information about Charlotte adds another dimension to this story, necessitating yet another update. Check it out.

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 am

I had a good talk with my uncle Clarance Moore one day and he told me that Thomas Folster was quite a bit older than Charlotte and that they had 2 children,but they moved to BC.
He also mentioned his other aunt Margaret who m)Thomas Thomas that they did have adopted children but he didn't think they had kids of their own.Maybe Thomas Thomas had children before with a different wife. My uncle C remembers Margaret acting as a mid wife to Mabel (Jenner) Moore to help deliver his brother Stanley Moore.
There is also a connection with a Moore that m) Fidler but i have yet to find out who that is. I think it was the Moore/Moar that fled to Australia, he could have left a wife and young family,this would have been mid.1850. I know this story is true as in 1930's my grandmother Mabel Moore recieved a letter from the Australian Government to come and claim their land that was left to them by this anscestor. That's what makes me think it was John's son as this would be too old for Andrew's son. My uncle can't remember the first name. I saw this letter years ago but was to young to care and now letter is missing.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Colleen: I have just posted a new page for your grandparents. Here's the link:

PETER LAWRENCE MOORE (1883-1930)

gonzo1956

Post by gonzo1956 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi Gary,

Do you know exactly where in Mapleton John and Nancy Moore lived. Let me know .
Thanks,

Colleen

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Colleen:I just did another update for John MOORE Page adding a note (under the Mapleton map) indicating where I think he lived. Check it out again.