Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

GEORGE TAYLOR (1759-1844)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: GEORGE TAYLOR (1759-1844)

Post by gnstill » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:12 pm

Some sources indicate that George Sr died in 1838 in England which seems to be more likely.

voyageur

Post by voyageur » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Could you tell me what the sources are which said 1838 as a death date? That should put it within the time in which England was registering vital records.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Several Family Trees on Ancestry.ca indicated George Sr died in 1838 in Scotland. I have seen others that indicate England.
By the same token, even more people on Ancestry.ca indicate the 1844 death date in Canada.

Until someone comes up with solid evidence to support either death year and place, I'm afraid we can only speculate.

Personally, I haven't got a clue and would appreciate anyone with solid evidence to please come forward.
Gary

jcorrigan

Post by jcorrigan » Thu May 29, 2014 7:48 pm

I would like to get in touch with Ellen Paul regarding her picture of Sloop's Cove with George Taylor's name. If she owns the picture I would like to post in on my blog.

voyageur

Post by voyageur » Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 am

For JCorrigan,
I do own the picture of Captain Taylor's name at Sloop's Cove as well as one of my cousin, Frances, at the same location at an earlier date. I'd be glad to share either or both, how do I respond to you without posting my details? How are you related to the Taylors?

jcorrigan

Post by jcorrigan » Fri May 30, 2014 5:43 am

Wonderful, thanks so much. Please send me a private email at jhoguecorrigan@gmail.com

George Taylor is my 3rd great grandfather through his daughter Margaret's marriage to Amable Hogue. My blog is at http://hoguegirardin.wordpress.com/

moehogue

Post by moehogue » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:12 pm

Regarding George Taylor's demise, I began looking at that when doing research for myself (g-g-g-son of George Taylor) and for Christine Welsh's film, Women In the Shadows, almost 30 years ago. I found some references that make me think that the 1830-something date is the most likely. I think it also depends on how you take the meaning of the word "late" as used in the HBCA. Is it late as in the deceased as we tend to use it now, or late as in the former....?

E4/1a/fo35 Baptism Register for Thomas Tayor:
August 12, 1821 no. 143 son of GT and an Indian woman, supposed residence England, late master of a schooner. Would that mean he was deceased
in 1821, or does one ask the question, when was this information compiled, perhaps updated? Or does "late" master, mean the former master of said
schooner, which would seem to make more sense if you took 183_ as his date of death.

E4/1a/fo 149 d Anne Taylor Cox, baptized 1838 Feb 20, refers to "Cap'n Taylor, deceased" No doubt there. I am wondering
whether the "Anne" is actually GT and Jane's daughter, Nancy, who married John Cox and had to get baptized for the ceremony.

But I think this is the one that does it for me:
A 16/81 fo 35 Fur Trade Servants (discharged or deceased) Ledger
George Taylor "A"
1839 Sept. 3 By balance of account from MR 42 12 8
Oct. 18 to cash paid him 17
Oct. 28 to cash paid him 25 12 8
there was something indecipherable written below that. What might MR be? Could this be a pension payout of some sort? Then again if
this is GT, then he was alive in 1839. Or these are payouts to George Taylor Jr as the heir.
then fo. 29
George Taylor B
1838 Sept 18 By Balance of Account from MR 26 3 8

I was also intrigued by a letter found in the London Outward Correspondence 1788-1837 A.5/10 fo 210: this was a letter dated
March 24 1834 from someone with HBC to Captain T Taylor of the 46th Regiment, Chatham asking about George Taylor "...with respect
to George Taylor, there does not appear to be any Man in the Service fro Kirkwall..except it may be a Native of Hudson's Bay who was sent
to Orkney for education and returned to the Bay some years since." This may be quite innocent, someone looking for a George Taylor
from Kirkwall in the Orkneys. I tried searching for such a person, but never followed through much.

Lastly, this got me thinking: B.239/b/90 fo.61d a letter from Alex Christie, chief factor at York dated August 5, 1833 to Mr. George Taylor
acknowledging his request of July 14 to retire from the Honorable Company's Service next year and requesting to be granted a passage for
Europe....".

This must have been George Taylor Jr. asking to go back to England. Sick father? Take care of his father's estate? That would put GT Sr.'s death earlier. I found no record of him making that trip.

When we were prepping for the film, Christine Welsh hired a genealogist in the UK to search for George's birth info. We found that. Obviously we should have gone for the double. I'm sticking with the 1830 something date, and he was likely living in the same area as his son, Robert, who worked on a coaler out of Newcastle, which is in Northumberland, and so is Bamburgh where GT was born.

He's a fascinating story. I wish I had the money to make a film about his two memorable voyages: on the Beaver on Captain Duncan's ill-fated
discovery of a northwest passage, and the Britannia story, the HBC's greed so deliciously stymied by ice and fire and who knows what all else.

SJTaylor

Post by SJTaylor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:27 pm

Stephen Taylor Smith wrote:I thought I would reply with some information on George Taylor. My name is Stephen Taylor Smith and my Mother is Vera Margret Smith (Taylor) George would be my Great Great Grandfather, of course on my Mothers side. The picture of his sea chest on this site is actually mine. It was passed to me by by Mother who has been deceased for more than 15 years. I also have his silver shaving mug and a fairly good family tree as compiled by my brother in law. I have spoken via E mail to Ellen Paul in the past and unfortuantley, due to a computer failure, I lost her E mail address. I would like anyone who is interested in the Taylor family to contact me.

Thanks, Stephen T. Smith, Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia.
I am trying to trace my roots through my father's side - can you help me? My name is Sandra Taylor, daughter of William N. Taylor, son of Wm Richard Taylor, son of (I think) George Simpson Taylor (3) born 1829, son of George Taylor Jr. (2) born 1800, son of Geo Taylor Sr. born 1759. Trying to find out if I have the correct lineage. Thanks

jcorrigan

Post by jcorrigan » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:10 pm

Sandra, could you please share more info about Wm Richard Taylor, such as dates of birth and death, spouse, and residence?

CindySue

Post by CindySue » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Hello! I'm hoping to connect with my Taylor family. I'd like to contact "voyageur" as well as "SJTaylor" and "moehogue" Sorry, but I'm a bit puzzled why I am unable to post directly to their posts (??) I'm a little tech challenged so excuse me. lol Here is my email if anyone should check in over the next while and decide to reach out.
I am 8th generation Taylor through my grandmother
Email: delicanola@gmail.com
Thanks!