Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

GEORGE TAYLOR (1800-1844)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

GEORGE TAYLOR (1800-1844)

Post by gnstill » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:04 am

New Family Page: GEORGE TAYLOR (1800-1844)

Please post comments & queries about George TAYLOR JR and his family here.

stauffermasiuk

Re: GEORGE TAYLOR (1800-1844)

Post by stauffermasiuk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:37 am

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me out with a block in my family tree. I am seeking sources that can substantiate the parentage (and maybe grand-parentage) of one of the ancestors mentioned on George Taylor's (1800-1844) page:

EDWARD PRINCE TAYLOR (1840-1919)
+ MARY SABISTON (1846-1870)

These are my 4g-grandparents. I am trying to find who Mary Sabiston's mother was, and who the mother's parents were. The page for George Taylor states Sarah Flett as the mother, however the info I have conflicts with that.

The vague info I have from my mother and her family (which they researched in the 80's) says Nancy Campbell is the mother. I have also come to notice several spellings of Sabiston (Sebiston, Sabbiston, Sabeston, Labiston, Lebiston, etc).

A Canada archives marriage certificate states ALEXANDER SABISTON (1804-1846) as the father, though he apparently had two wives, both half-breeds (unless there are 2 Alexander Sabiston's):
+ NANCY CAMPBELL (b. 1820)
+ SARAH FLETT
(see documents at bottom of page)

My info shows Alexander Sabiston's parents as Hugh Sabiston (half-breed) & Margaret (Cree).

My conflict with this is that a Glenbow Archives document says that daughter Mary Sabiston (of Alex. Sabiston & Sarah Flett) married JOHN PARK -- scrip documents also corroborate this (two husbands possibly?). It also says that she was born 1852, when the Mary Sabiston in my info was born 1846, though my info is possibly incorrect.

I can't find Alexander Sabiston's marriage documents anywhere or info on Sarah Flett or Nancy Campbell indicating their births or deaths.

I am beginning to examine the possibility of Alexander Sabiston having two daughters (1 from each wife) who were half-sisters, but both named Mary, which is causing the confusion, or again, possibly there are two different Alexander Sabiston's. I'm not quite sure what the problem is here.

But I had a tip at one point from somebody that this Sarah Flett was sister to Rev. George Flett and would especially like to find out if that is true and if I descend from this Sarah Flett -- what I was told is Sarah Flett was daughter of George Flett & Margaret "Peggy" Whitford, though I haven't been able to find any info that agrees with that.

This is also particularly confusing since there are multiple Sarah Flett's -- one married James Franks, another married Louison Ducharme, and there were a couple others.

I was hoping to be able to see whatever sources were used for George Taylor's page to state the parents of Mary Sabiston as it is possible my info is incorrect.

Thanks!

These are the sources I was referencing:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/v ... umber=6030

http://www.glenbow.org/collections/sear ... 36-311.pdf

http://www.glenbow.org/collections/sear ... 36-642.pdf

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:34 pm

There are two different Alexander SABISTON’s identified in Sprague & Frye:
Sprague & Frye ID-4342, Table 1: Alexander SABISTON, born 1804 in NWT, died 1846. Wife: Nancy CAMPBELL, Metis, born 1820
Sprague & Frye ID-4347, Table 1: Alexander SABISTON, born 1828. Wife: Sarah FLETT, Metis, born 1832.
The latter were apparently the parents of your great-great-great grandmother, Mary Anne TAYLOR who married Jeremiah STEVENS (1861-1923).

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:50 pm

voyageur

Post by voyageur » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:12 am

Research from the Borders Family History Centre in Scotland has turned up the baptismal record of George Taylor, Jr. in Hutton Parish, Berwickshire.
He was baptized 11 January 1805 with his father's brother, Robert Taylor as sponsor. The baptismal record shows that he was born in March 1799. George Taylor, Sr., the sloopmaster was obviously not an only child as previous thought.