Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

CHARLES GILBERT SETTEE (1867-1944)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

CHARLES GILBERT SETTEE (1867-1944)

Post by gnstill » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:54 am

New Family Page: CHARLES GILBERT SETTEE (1867-1944)

Please post comments about Charles Gilbert SETTEE and his family here.

Eileen Hamilton

Re: CHARLES GILBERT SETTEE (1867-1944)

Post by Eileen Hamilton » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:53 pm

Clifford Settee, Son of Charles and Elizabeth Settee did not die in the POW camp. He came back and married a widow Agnus and raised her 8 children.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks so much for your response Eileen!
I was hoping someone would come along to settle that question.

Are you connected to this family? Tell us more about your own lineage.

I’m going to do another review of all my information about the SETTEE-NANOWIN families but will have to do that tomorrow. I’m shutting down soon for tonight.
Please check back tomorrow. I’m sure I will have more questions that you might be able to answer.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:13 pm

I have removed the part about Clifford’s death in the POW camp. When and where did he die?

Please help me get this straight: Agnes THOMAS first married Stanley NANOWIN. I have him born 1913, son of Maggie and Charles NANOWIN b-1870.
I have her NANOWIN children from her obit, but no birthdates, etc. When and where did Agnes marry Stanley NANOWIN and when/ where did he die?

Eileen Hamilton

Post by Eileen Hamilton » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 am

I am requesting help on Agnus and who she was married to first from my family in Manitoba. I will also find out when Uncle Clifford died. When he came back to Canada he was emancipated because he was held in a Japanese POW camp for 4 yrs. When he was released from the hospital my mom and dad took him out for supper to a Chinese restaurant in Selkirk. Louie Lee's i believe. When Uncle saw Louie he wanted to kill him. He thought he was Japanese. Louie, Mom and Dad calmed Uncle down and when Louie found out how he had been treated in POW camp, he paid for all their meals and drinks and told Uncle he would eat free whenever he came to Selkirk again. Uncles story was amazing and how he lived through it, I don't know. He only talked about once. He shared with Mom and Dad. On a different note, were you related to Kenny Still? I dated him way back when we were kids. A great guy.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks Eileen; I look forward to getting that info.

Here’s the link regarding my brother, Kenny STILL: KENNETH STILL (1943-1982)

Now for sure I would like to know more about yourself, your parents, grandparents, etc and where your ancestors connect with the SETTEE family.

Eileen Hamilton

Post by Eileen Hamilton » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:58 am

Hi,

Thanks for the link on Kenny. I was truly upset when i heard he died. He was a kind and sensitive man. We dated when I was 14 yrs old and hung out with the Freemans. George, Bob, and Pung. I met your Mom and Dad then too. My parents really liked Kenny. He and a friend drove me and my sisters up to Hay River. I believe Dad hired them for awhile to help them out with gas etc to go home. I never heard from him again. Selma Laye used to keep me up to-date on the happenings. Selma's brother was married to my sister Susan. He was Jack Laye Jr. Clara and Jack were there parents. One of my adopted sisters (not formerly adopted) was Mavis Bannish married to Jim Bannish.
As for my family its huge lol. The first Monkman in our lineage was James Monkman born 1771 in Whiteby, Yorkshire, England and married a Cree woman. named Mary. One of his sons Joseph (Ole Joe)Monkman married Isabella Setter. His son Andrew Monkman born 1851 married Nance Chastelaine who were the parents of My grandfather Thomas Alexander Monkman m. Margaret Scott. One of their sons Percival Harold Monkman m. Ruth Catherine Settee and were my parents. fyi Andrew had 17 children by two women Nance Chastelaine (our gg grandmother) and when she died he had 10 more children with Catherine Whitesands. This second family moved to Saskatchewan never to be heard of again.

Clifford Settee was born 1917 and died Sept 9, 1996.
Agnus (nee Thomas) (m.1. Stanley Nanowin) 2. Clifford Settee . She was born Juen 14 1914 and died Oct 7, 2008.

With the Monkmans lineage it was hard to distinguish my actual lineage. There was more than one James. This showed up due to records kept at that time where they first landed in Canada. So with back tracking I finally got to the right James.

The settees direct descendant was a Rev. James Settee. born near Nelson River, Man. (1809-1902) m. Sarah Cook.
Eldest Son was James Settee Jr. 1836-1914 m.1 Mary Elizabeth (nee Todd) Corrigal (1843-1877) m.2 Priscilla (nee Deschambeault) Flett 1880-1877.

James Jr. and Marys only living son was Charles Gilbert Settee my Grandfather m. Elizabeth Catherine Johnstone. They were my grandparents and had 12 living children, a set of twins died in infancy.
Their Daughter Ruth Catherine m. Percival Harold Monkman are my parents

There were 2 sons born to James Settee Jr and Mary "Lizzie" Todd. My grandfather Charles Gilbert Settee and his brother John (deceased at early age)

Rev James Settee claims his GGrandfather was Capt. Francis Smith. (unable to verify this info). He also states in his Memoirs that his grandfather was called "Little Englishman" and that he was Grand Chief over many tribes along the seaside.

I am currently building Family Memories for the grandchildren of my parents before the stories are all lost. Lots of info and related to alot more Manitobians than I knew.
Last edited by Eileen Hamilton on Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:27 am

Wow!!
It will take me quite a while to digest all of that information. I have the book ‘Loon Straits Through the Years’ by Kathleen MONKMAN, and found much of my information from her ‘Monkman Ancestry’.

You have family connections to many of the people I have featured on my website. You can find them by clicking on the Ancestor Index at the very top of the page. Then scroll down to find links to the narratives about the various individual families. Go to the Home Page for more info about my website about how to navigate it.

I’d love to have your comments about any of those families. Each one has its own associated Forum Topic to keep things organized and avoid confusing everyone. If you find errors let me know, and if you have extra information or stories (or pictures) that can be added, I’m sure everyone would love to hear them.

I’m adding new Family Pages every few days and will try to put together one for your grandparents, Maggie SCOTT and Thomas Alexander MONKMAN (1882-1918) as time permits.

Eileen Hamilton

Post by Eileen Hamilton » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:28 pm

Hi,
I have contacted Gary Thomas who the son of Mae (Settee) Thomas and Ed (Edward?) "Eddy" Thomas. I am trying to find out when they died and when they were married. I noticed she is not listed as married under Charles Settee.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 pm

Eileen: Like I said before, I already have a Family Page and a Topic for discussing his family - here's the links:

FAMILY PAGE for ANDREW MONKMAN (1851-1929)

FORUM DISCUSSING the ANDREW MONKMAN FAMILY

I will move your posting there. It's a constant battle for me to keep things organized to avoid confusing everyone.