Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

ALEXANDER GUNN (1764-1830)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

ALEXANDER GUNN (1764-1830)

Post by gnstill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 pm

New Family Page: ALEXANDER GUNN (1764-1830)

Please post comments and queries about Alexander GUNN and his descendants here.

annhickie

Re: ALEXANDER GUNN (1764-1830)

Post by annhickie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:20 pm

Alexander Gunn is my 3x great grandfather. I would love to hear from anyone else who is researching Alexander Gunn and his descendants. Alexander, his second wife Hannah (Henrietta) and his son William (mother Christian Fraser) abandoned the Red River settlement in 1815 and traveled to Holland Landing (East Gwillimbury) Ontario, not Iowa, USA. Alexander eventually received a land grant in West Gwillimbury, Ontario and died in 1839. Alexander Gunn, Hannah McBeath Gunn and William Gunn are all buried in Auld Kirk Cemetery (Old Presbyterian Church Cemetery) Conc.6 Lot 8 West Gwillimbury, Ontario.

Alexander's previous wife and mother of William was Christian Fraser. This is according to Williams baptism in the Parish of Kildonan Register -
Nov.19 1793 William Son of Alexr. Gunn and Christan Fraser tenant in Kildonan
William died Oct.24, 1854 according to his gravestone
WILLIAM GUNN, died Oct. 24, 1854, aged 60 yr., Native of Sutherlandshire
Hannah (Hennrietta) McBeath was born approx. 1785 according to her gravestone inscription
HANNAH McBEATH, wife of ALEXANDER GUNN, Native of Sutherlandshire, Scot., died Mar. 24, 1830, aged 45 yr. also two children of ANGUS & MARY GUNN

Alexander Gunn was born approx. 1769 according to information on gravestone.
ALEXANDER GUNN, A Native of Sutherlandshire, Scot., died Mar. 23, 1839, aged 70 yr.
. According to the ships register Prince of Wales 1813 he was 50yrs old when he boarded in summer 1813 so this would place his birth year at 1763. So far I have not been able to find any original records from Scotland other than William's birth record.

I have a public tree on ancestry.ca - Konecny Family Tree.

Ann Hickie
Calgary

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Thanks very much Ann: I have done an update on his Page and I hope I got all the right corrections.
Tell us more about your own lineage. Who were your great-great grandparents?

annhickie

Post by annhickie » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:57 pm

My 3xgreat grandparents: Alexander Gunn (~1763 Kildonan, Scotland-1839 West Gwillimbury, Ontario) and Christian Fraser (~1765 Kildonan, Scotland-1813 Fort Churchill, Rupert's Land)
my 2x great grandparents: William Gunn (1793 Kildonan, Scotland - 1854 West Gwillimbury) and Elizabeth Bannerman (1791 Scotland - ? likely West Gwillimbury)
my great grandparents: Alexander Gunn (1830 West Gwillimbury -1911 Holland Landing, Ontario) & Barbara McDonald (1833 West Gwillimbury-1890 Holland Landing, Ontario)
my grandparents: John Alexander Gunn (1869 Carrick Twp. Bruce Co. - 1939) & Ethelind Butler (1886 Shropshire, England - 1972 Ontario)

Ann Hickie

laurie pasqua

Post by laurie pasqua » Sun May 09, 2021 12:42 am

Hello. My maiden name is Gunn. Hello Clansman! lol Alexander was also my grandfather. He and Christian had more children in Sutherlandshire before they left. One son, John Cheney Gunn and his wife, Nancy Anna Sutherland, came to Kildonan, Manitoba (Red River), about 10 years after his parents. They stayed in Manitoba. From him is William Gunn and his wife, Mary McBeath then Alexander Gunn and his wife, Ann Elizabeth Davis; my Grandfather, William Herbert Gunn and Grandmother, Greta Duford (aka Halcro); then my father, Gordon Alexander Gunn and my Mom, Edith Kathleen Hutton. It's nice to hear from someone from over on the East side :) I wasn't sure how the family did in Ontario. Although I knew Alexander, Henreitte and William did move there during the Pemmican Wars.

annhickie

Post by annhickie » Sun May 23, 2021 5:45 pm

I have long suspected that John Cheney Gunn was a son of Alexander and Christian Gunn of Kildonan, especially after finding the military listing for John in 1809 72 foot soldiers. My cousin and I visited Scotland in 2010 looking for info regarding the family history and visited the Archives, the Helmsdale Museum (Timespan) and the Clan Gunn Museum in Latheron. We were able to find a church record for William son of Alexander and Christian, but there were no parish records prior to his birth - supposedly lost in a fire, so there was no record of Williams older siblings. We were just beginning our genealogy research at this point, so if we were to go back now, I’m sure we could find out a lot more.
Recently, through Ancestry DNA I’ve been able to find 2 different matches that link William and John as brothers; children of Alexander and Christian Gunn. I haven’t got around to adding this info to my tree, as I have put genealogy work aside for a little while. Please check out my tree on ancestry: Konecny family tree, if you are interested. I know there is quite a bit written about the John Cheny Gunn line, not quite as much about my side (William) although I have been able to visit his gravesite near Bradford ON. (I’m from ON but live in AB).

laurie pasqua

Post by laurie pasqua » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:24 pm

You are so lucky to be able to travel to Scotland. It must be so beautiful there. From what I gathered John is registered as being born in Kilmory, North Ayrshire, Scotland. He and Nancy Anna Sutherland had 14 children! Five of their children were born in Scotland. One place listed is Bainvaliach where his oldest girls were born (twins). Others born in Scotland are listed as being born in Kildonan, Scotland, but I think it may be Helmsdale because they were already 'cleared' from Kildonan. The others were born in Kildonan, Manitoba. On one site it had Alexander (John's father), listed as living in Orkney. I'm not too sure if this was the same Alexander. As you probably know the names Alexander, William, James and Donald are repeated throughout the whole Gunn Clan. That's when it's nice to have birthdates. lol I hope you can get over there again and let us know what you find out. It's easy enough to find out about the Gunn's as a Clan, but the more direct relations are harder. It's so nice to talk to you. Happy travels and hope you can get there soon.