Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN ROWAND (1812-1865)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
EdmontonTom

Re: JOHN ROWAND (1812-1865)

Post by EdmontonTom » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:59 am

You're too kind Gary.

My name is Tom Long, I'm the Public Interpretation Coordinator for Fort Edmonton Park, where we have a replica of the 1846 Fort Edmonton.

Some of the blogs that I and my staff have done pertinent to the Rowands and the fur trade are here:
http://www.fortedmontonpark.ca/category/1846-fort/

...including a quick bio of Louise Umphreville, letters from John Rowand with commentary, and images of our costumed interpretation.

I'm very much enjoying this site. The layout is so much more readable than any of the genealogy sites and the information is very valuable.

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:59 pm

Summer's over and I have time to return to my love of research. Wanted to openly ponder some thoughts.

Beth has pointed out that John Jr. acknowledged a son named William in his will.

Oblate archives records of baptisms mention Jean Rowand (bapt. 1843) and William Rowand (bapt. 1845) from parents "John Rowand" and Marguerite MONDION.

Gary's notes on John Sr.'s page include a reference to Marguerite MOIGNON aka MONDION who was born around 1830, daughter of Marie Suzanne NADEAU aka NADON and Joseph MONDION, a French Canadian.

(If this is the same woman, she is bearing when she is *very* young, possibly fourteen or so. But this isn't impossible)

There is also the longstanding tradition of Francois DUFRESNE Jr. being attributed to John Sr. But if this is through Margurierite MOIGNON aka MONDION, isn't it possible that Francois is the son of John Jr., just as William appears to be?

It seems much more likely that there was confusion over Jr. or Sr John Rowands than both men having children by the same woman.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:00 am

I’m still reviewing my MOIGNON – MONDION information, an interesting but complex lineage that I hope to deal with when I get more time. I have significantly revised and updated this family page - long overdue.
** REVISED and UPDATED PAGE for JOHN ROWAND (1812-1865)

bthor

Post by bthor » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:28 am

Hi Gary
Update for son William Rowand's Marriage:

Given Name(s): Mary.
Surname: Ross.
Spouse's Surname: Rowand.
Spouse's Given Name: William.
Date of Marriage: 1866-06-01.
Parish: St. Andrew's Anglican Church, Lockport, Manitoba.
Father's Surname: Ross.
Father's Given Name: Donald.
Fonds: Kipling Collection.
Finding Aid: FA-1368. Library and Archives Canada only has this index. The actual records are held at the Archives of the Diocese of Rupert's Land in Winnipeg. See Search Help for more information..
Remarks: The wife is from St. Andrews. The husband's father is John Rowand.
Reference: MG 25 G62.
Item Number: 5999.

Beth