Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES SANDERSON aka SANDISON (1780-1873)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JAMES SANDERSON aka SANDISON (1780-1873)

Post by gnstill » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:23 am

New Family Page: JAMES SANDERSON aka SANDISON (1780-1873)

Please post comments and queries about James SANDERSON and his family here.

Al Rempel

Re: JAMES SANDERSON aka SANDISON (1780-1873)

Post by Al Rempel » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:18 pm

the James Sanderson shown herein as born abt 1780 was born abt 1791 (age 36 in 1827), and could not possibly establish Carleton House in 1795. Perhaps his father did, although his alleged father's HBC bio suggest he was at York Factory from 1779 to at least 1799, and then back in Scotland for at least 1800-1809 (it is not clear if that is a valid assumption in this bio that the same man was later a Carleton House trader. The Sarah mentioned in scrip by this James' last wife Mary Favel was not his grand-daughter as indicated herein, it is James' daughter (Mary's stepdaughter). This James' daughter Sarah was married to Samuel Spence, not to George Whitford (who was married to a daughter of a George who may have been James' brother). It appears that this James' daughter Sarah may have first been married to a John Monjeunier dit Mozinee, then to Samuel Spence.

This James' son George is in census as over 16, so born before 1812 for sure. He seems to be in an 1885 RM St Clements death record as age 75, so abt 1810 for his birth would be appropriate. He is definitely in an 1870 census entry as James Sandison, age 87.

This James may very well be the James Sanderson in HBC bios with a bad guess on YOB of abt 1785, the man working Albany Inland. He could also be the James Sandison in Peter Fidler's dairy on Peter's early years at Brandon House (which was provisioned from Albany). But if he is, then he is not at all likely to be a son of the James Sandison/Sanderson of York Factory shown in HBC bios as born abt 1758, which seems to just have been assumed in databases everywhere - there sure does not seem to be any supporting evidence for the claim he is a son of James born abt 1758.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:13 am

Welcome aboard Al, I’m impressed!

You have raised numerous issues of genuine interest, too many for me to address all at once. I prefer to tackle one family at a time myself to avoid confusion and keep things organized, and will do so as soon as I can find time. Forum responses have been quite overwhelming lately and I am kept very busy.

It appears that you have developed a very good understanding about these families. Please tell us more about yourself and what prompted your research. Are you the Al Remple associated with the Petitcodiac Mennonite Church? Do you have family connections to any of these featured families?
Gary Still

Raven5tar

Post by Raven5tar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Hello from Toronto! My name is Alanna Sanderson and I am so pleased to find your site and quite enjoy the history you incorporated. With the dawn of Ancestry.ca I find few folks put much effort into their ancestry other than importing other peoples trees, but that's humans for ya. :D

I was born in Winnipeg Manitoba and lived there until I was 9 and then again in 1999-2000 as an adult. At that time the Metis Ancestry project was well underway and a number HBC records had been transcribed and entered into a searchable database. The Metis Resource Centre had an office back then, now just a Facebook page, and if you had enough information you could request an ancestry book. Gratefully I still had a second cousin alive, Ruth Stoyka nee Moar, in her 70s who knew my great-grandparents when they were living. She introduced me to Clare Letendre (my 3rd cousin on my great-grandmother's side) and from there I was able to provide birth and marriage dates and order my ancestry book.

On the Sanderson side, my report/book stops at James Thomas Sanderson. I have since, with a lot of research, wading through bad penmanship, and the help of a lovely woman named Serena Willis, progressed this line to a Sandysone/Sandeson in England. There still is much source work to do but it is much easier now than back in the 1990s.

James Thomas is my 3rd Great Grandfather. I descend from his marriage to Nancy Whitford and their child Robert Sanderson aka Robert Sandison (Baptised 14 DEC 1834 Died May 1892). On 20 MAR 1857 at St. Helen's Church in Fairford, NWT, now Manitoba, Robert married Elizabeth Sabiston (Born 10 APR 1831 in Lake Nipissing Died 16 SEP 1917) and created Great Grandfather Robert James Sanderson (16 SEP 1862 in Fairford, Northwest Territories, now Manitoba and died 6 Mar 1946 in the R.M. of Grahamdale, Manitoba, Canada). He married Catherine Ann Letendre (Letender) in Fairford in 1883. I can confirm at least 13 births from this union, one being my Grandpa Allen who came along in 1908. Grandpa Allen and his wife Bertha Dumas (I did not know her, but her story is quite scandalous) had 4 Children. Only one is still alive, I think. My father, Jerry passed away in 2003 and I did not have any children so that ends our little stub.

My sources for James Thomas Sanderson are as follows.

Notes for JAMES THOMAS SANDERSON:
[Brøderbund Family Archive #118, Ed. 1, Canadian Genealogy Index, 1600s - 1900s, Date of Import: Jul 14, 2000, Internal Ref. #1.118.1.74572.19] *I no longer have this CD or the Family Tree Maker program but this lead me to the book.
Individual: Sanderson, James
Event: Born
Year: 1784
Province of record source: Manitoba
Comments: Métis.

Source: The Genealogy of the First Metis Nation, The Development and Dispersal of the Red River Settlement 1820-1900.
(this book is now online and searchable: http://www.ourroots.ca/index.aspx
Author: D.N. Sprague and R.P. Frye
Publisher: Pemmican Publications
Publication place: Winnipeg, MB
Publication year: 1988

Volume/Page(s): 104
More About JAMES THOMAS SANDERSON:
Baptised: February 13, 1826, St Johns Red River Settlement
Church: Protestant
Interred: November 29, 1873, St Johns Red River Settlement

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:26 am

Welcome to the Forum Alanna!
I have lots of information about your lineage. Your grandfather, Allen Hebron SANDERSON, died in 1981 in Winnipeg, survived by three sons; Donald, Jerry and Buddy, and a daughter Yvonne.
Your grandmother, Bernice (Bertha) DUMAS also married Eugene William MAHLER (1915-2008) with whom she had two children; Gail MAHLER and Larry MAHLER.