Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES CURTIS BIRD (1773-1856)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JAMES CURTIS BIRD (1773-1856)

Post by gnstill » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:28 am

New Family Page: JAMES CURTIS BIRD (1773-1856)

Please post comments and queries about James Curtis BIRD and his family here.

Bird

Re: JAMES CURTIS BIRD (1773-1856)

Post by Bird » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:00 am

Hi there, I am a direct descendant of James Curtis Bird! I just wanted to let you know that the photo of him that you have on his page, is in fact, not him. There are no known photos of James Curtis in existence. The photo you have tagged as him is obviously from a later era. Take, for example, the quality of the picture of Mary Lowman and compare to the quality of james "photo", also the style of dress is wrong for his era.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 am

There are numerous sources that use that picture as Curtis James BIRD b-1773. Here’s two for example from quick Google-Searches:

CANADIAN FUR TRADERS – HUDSON’S BAY C OMPANY

MyHERITAGE

I nevertheless have to agree with you and share your skepticism. It is difficult to find definitive evidence to substantiate the proper origins or caption for that photo. It is good that you raised the question and hopefully someone with better information will enlighten us on this Forum.

What is your source regarding “no known photos” of him?
Can you give us a brief description of your own lineage?

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:56 am

Well, my father is really the expert in this area, and I have sent this page to him, and I am sure he will let me know more in due time. From what I understand we are descended from James Curtis Bird by his son William Bird from the Swampy Cree Mary. I am a little confused about this, though, because William was an Edmontonian and, in fact, opened a grist mill on what is present day Mill Creek(once called Bird Creek) and is in fact where Mill Creek got it's name. There are many entries in newspaper in Edmonton with mention of W. Bird around this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mill_Creek_Ravine

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:56 am

I just posted a new Family Page regarding your Letitia BIRD and McKAY ancestors at this link:

CHARLES RICHARD McKAY (1808-1873)

I look forward to comments from you and your father under that Forum Topic.

Bird's Hillian

Post by Bird's Hillian » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:41 am

Hello there, I’m really amazed at what you’ve done here! Thank you for such a great service!
James Curtis Bird is my 4th great grandfather and my 3rd, is his son William Bird who married Venus Hay.
My distant relative (who I’ve not met) with the user name “Bird” who mentioned William here, is IMO, referring to the William Bird who is the son of James “Jimmy Jock” Bird, who is the son of the James Bird this forum pertains to.
Even though I was born and raised in Bird’s Hill, I know about the farm on Mill Creek in Edmonton thanks to a book given to my grandmother (who was originally from Birch Hills) compiled by Ruth Silde, daughter of May Bird, grand daughter of John Thomas Bird who is also my great great grandfather. The book is called “Descendants of James Curtis Bird.” There’s also extra newspaper clippings collected by my grandmother.
She is acknowledged at the end of the book for driving Ruth around to historic sites and for living in Bird’s Hill.
GnStill, If you have not seen this book, you are more than welcome to use it’s research. I also have my genealogy from the Metis Culture & Heritage Resource Centre showing Bird lineage and script.
Due to copy-write, I will have to ask for permission to reproduce anything from my family tree here.
I mentioned my great great grandfather John(Jack)Thomas Bird. Well, he married Frances Elizabeth (Bessie) Campbell.
This now makes Colin Campbell, Elizabeth McGillivray, Thomas Halcrow, and Charlotte Knight my 4th great grandparents as well.
I love to find a record showing that Duncan Campbell actually did hook up with Heather Halcrow but it is in my (MMF) genealogy.
I’m passionate about researching Red River History too and hope to contribute to your wonderful site.
Thanks again for all your hard work!
P.S. The only image I’ve seen of James Bird was from the 1959 HBC calendar with Nicholas Garry and maybe an older Beaver Magazine article or two.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:04 am

Interesting stuff Hillian (could you give us a first name to refer to you as?)
So you have roots in Prince Albert as well. Can you tell us more of your lineage after John Thomas BIRD (1850-1946)?

I have a cousin who is probably also a descendant of Venus HAY & William BIRD.

Bird's Hillian

Post by Bird's Hillian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Yes, there's family in and around the P.A. area still but more so in the past.
My great grandparents are Burton Jobe (Sept.7 1883 to 1937) and Mabel Alice Bird (June 19 1886 to 1965.)
My grandmother is Rubina Frances Jobe (July 1. 1918 to 1998.)
I'm interested to know the name your cousin. Small world!
As for me, I'm David Jr.
Cheers.

Bird's Hillian

Post by Bird's Hillian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 pm

gnstill wrote:I just posted a new Family Page regarding your Letitia BIRD and McKAY ancestors at this link:

CHARLES RICHARD McKAY (1808-1873)

I look forward to comments from you and your father under that Forum Topic.
I failed to follow the connection of these two. Could you please explain more?

IMO, "Bird" is referring to either the William I am descended from (Son of James Curtis) or William, son of James Jr. (Jimmy Jock) Bird.
I will continue this with a post on Jimmy Jock's forum.
Thanks.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:08 pm

My cousin, Ivan NICHOLS, was a son of Viola PALMER and Sid NICHOLS (1918-1967). Vi PALMER was a daughter of Bella FIDLER and James PALMER (1881-1963). Bella FIDLER was a daughter of Annie Caroline BIRD and Joseph FIDLER (1862-1934). Annie BIRD was a daughter of Elizabeth HEYWOOD and George BIRD. George BIRD was a son of our Benny HAY and William BIRD (1803-1885).

Was your grandmother Robena JOBE married to a Francis NEYEDLI (1914-1992)? If so, what is your surname?