Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES CURTIS BIRD (1773-1856)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
Bird

Re: JAMES CURTIS BIRD (1773-1856)

Post by Bird » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 pm

From what I understand, Jemmy Jock did not have a child named William. I have spoken with my father, whose lineage was traced by the Alberta Government so that he'd be able to testify in court that there are still Metis living in AB. He says our lineage is as follows: James Curtis Bird, William Bird, John Thomas Bird, Francis Henry Bird(my grandfather), my father and then me! Bird's Hillian must be a distant relative, but I am so confused by William's info and whether it is in fact accurate?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:28 pm

I totally agree – Please check the following link, and see the comments under THAT topic.
JAMES “JIMMY JOCK” BIRD (1798-1892)

Am I correct that you are the grandson of Gordon Elmer McKAY (1927-2002)?

Bird

Post by Bird » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi gnstill,
No, as posted my grandfather was Francis Henry Bird(also, I am his granddaughter)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Ok – Then Hillian (David) is a great grandson of Alice Mabel BIRD who was Francis Henry BIRD’s sister, the way I understand it.

Bird's Hillian

Post by Bird's Hillian » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes, we are related "Bird" but you would be closer to my dad, as John Thomas Bird is your great grandfather but is my great, great grandfather.
According to Ruth Silde's book, Francis Henry Bird was married to Mae Brown and then had a second wife named Amelia Oberg. Is this correct?
There's an interesting two and half page story about "Frank and Millie Bird" and also an article about Frances Henry Bird receiving awards for scouting.
Interesting!

Bird

Post by Bird » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:57 am

Yes, Millie is my grandmother! You have an story about them? Really? Francis died when my dad was a young boy, on a scouting trip in Jasper, AB. I would really love to see this story and article!!!!!

Bird's Hillian

Post by Bird's Hillian » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:37 pm

I knew that book would come in handy! Unfortunately, her bibliography does not state where the article "Excerpts from Francis Henry (Frank) Bird's History" (has a photocopy picture of the couple with "Frank and Millie Bird" below it) came from.
She does mention using the book "Settlers between the mighty Saskatchewans : Stanleyville and Russelville" at the end, so I'm wondering if that's where the article came from.
The publisher of that book is "Prince Albert, Sask. : Stanleyville-Russelville History Book Committee, 1980" so, you should be able to find it at a University library.
The other page in Ruth Silde's book is of 7 boys receiving awards (they are the 101st Edmonton Troop) for attempting to save their scoutmaster (your grandfather) that died a year ago at Jasper from having a heart attack. She wrote 1962 on the page as well.
Maybe you could find the article at your archives by the year (1962) and the title "7 CITY SCOUTS GIVEN AWARDS." I would gladly take a picture of these or photocopy and mail them but I don't see a private message option. If GnStill could please forward you my e-mail address as I don't want to post it here.
I'll keep you posted if I find anything more!

DaleCharlesGoodman

Post by DaleCharlesGoodman » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Hello Everyone:
My name is Dale Charles Goodman from Delta, British Columbia.

First, I want to pass along congratulations to you, Gary Still, for creating an excellent website to be enjoyed by anyone with ancestry from the Red River Settlement. Though your efforts were no doubt painstaking, I want you to know that they are greatly appreciated.

Your brother, Ernie Still, was my Godfather. His widow, my Godmother, Yvonne Still, told my family about your website. Since then, I (together with my siblings and many cousins) have visited this website as a precious portal to their past. My father, Charles (Charlie) Goodman, passed away on February 10th, 2015. Before he passed, during many visits to the hospital, my Dad and I would go through the website with on my phone. He was amazed to find a picture of his mother, Elizabeth McLellan as a teenager taken with his grandfather, James Alfred McLennan and his aunt, Eilleen. Many of what would turn out to be our final conversations were concerning what we had read together on your website. Dad, blessed with an excellent memory for names, was a walking genealogy resource for our family. With him gone, your website fills a much needed void.

Second, I decided to make my first post on this forum because James Curtis Bird was my first descendant to immigrate to the New World. I trace my lineage to James Curtis Bird as follows:

My father, Charles Goodman (m. Jean Gattens from Manchester, England), through to his mother, Elizabeth McLellan (m. Palmie Goodman), through to her father, James Alfred McLellan (m. Mary Elizabeth Bear), through to his mother, Annie Bird (m. Murdoch McLellan), through to her father James Bird (m. Isabella Gibson), through to his father, William Bird (m. Venus Hay), through to his father, James Curtis Bird (m. Mary OO-MENAHOMISK) -- my 5th Great-Grandfather! After viewing this line, if any of my unknown cousins or half-cousins out there want to say hello, please do so!

Third, using this website as my touchstone, I have come across other websites which may be of interest to those researching the various lines emanating from James Curtis Bird, one of which, the Bird/Flett line (originating through James Curtis Bird’s second wife Elizabeth Montour) -- early settlers of what is now the state of Oregon (see: http://hoffmantree.blogspot.ca/).

On behalf of “all my relations”, Gary, I extend to you a heartfelt: “Thank you!”

Cheers,

Dale Goodman

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:39 am

Great to have you on the Forum Dale! It’s responses like yours that inspire me to continue my work about these families. In fact you have inspired me to do begin a Feature Page for your grandparents. Here’s the link:

FAMILY OF LIZZIE McLENNAN and PALMI GOODMAN

It would be great if you could Email me some suitable pictures that I could add to that Page, and I look forward to further discussions under the Forum Topic for that family. I will have a few questions that you could perhaps answer there.

lauramay

Post by lauramay » Fri May 15, 2015 12:04 pm

Hello! I was so happy to find so much information on my ancestor, thank you for researching all of this! James Curtis Bird is my third great grandfather and I am descended from his union with Mary Oo-Menahomisk (Swampy Cree). I am trying to find information on HER, specifically to trace our Cree roots. Of course, there are no records of her and not much information, other than what we have here. I contacted the HBC Archives and asked, they find no records of her or her marriage with James Curtis Bird, which is not surprising since theirs was a "country marriage." Does anyone know how to trace our Cree roots? I live in California, my mom raised us knowing we were Cree and would teach us some phrases (and I can count to 10 in Cree!). In other words, we don't know much about the culture living here in the States. My cousins in Saskatchewan try to shed light on things but are also unable to figure out much about our distant Grandma Swampy Cree, Mary.

I look forward to following everyone's posts and hearing from you since it looks like most of us are related, there is always room for more family!

~Laura May