Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

HENRY BIRD (1805-1893)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

HENRY BIRD (1805-1893)

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 pm

New Family Page: HENRY BIRD (1805-1893)

Please post comments and queries about Henry BIRD and his family here.

Cb555

Re: HENRY BIRD (1805-1893)

Post by Cb555 » Fri May 13, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm wondering if you have any more information Caroline Bird/McDonell's family. Im trying to figure out if her daughter Mary McDonell is my great-great grandmother.

This is a little long and convoluted so bear with me. My great grand mother is Ethel Garton/Hannah. Her mother died when she was very young. Her father is Charles Stewart Garton and her mother was his first wife Mary. She told us her mother was Mary Emmeline Macdonald. However I've come across a family tree that links her with the family of Mary McDonell. We have found a Mary Macdonald whose father is Edward Macdonald who lived in the portage area in the 1870 and 1881 censuses. Her age is similar to Mary McDonell's age so either one may be Ethel's mother. Unfortunately Mary Macdonald's age changes during between each census a bit. But Mary Macdonald's age appears to match better with what we were told.
Also do you know if Mary McDonell is Caroline's biological daughter? I noticed in the 1870 census Caroline is listed as Bird in the line above widower John McDonell with his two children Mary and James.

So even though Mary Macdonald seems to match better by dates there is some interesting family history. When Ethel was in her teens she was sent away to be looked after by Mrs. Reid. In the 1906 census you can see Ethel Garton as the ward of Harriet Reid. She said this was Captain Kennedy's house. However on a later tour of the house she commented that it didn't look like what she remembered but maybe because renovations had been done in the meantime. In your webpage on captain Kennedy you have the Reid's owning this house too. Story goes that Harriet Reid was an "aunt" of Ethel's. But we don't know if it was on her mother or fathers side. Their is also a mistake on your webpage of Henry Bird. In the 1891 census he staying with John and Harriet Reid not with Isabella Reid. Do you know if Harriet Reid is related to Henry Bird at all? The only thing I can find about Harriet Reid's past is that she was born in Manitoba. This would also lend credence to Ethel's mother being Mary McDonell's daughter.

I hope you made it this far. Thank you for any information you might have. We always seem to hit a dead end with Mary.

Carrie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 am

Thanks for noticing my error regarding the 1891 census Carrie – I have made the correction.

Manitoba Vital Stats verifies Ethel Ann GARTON born Dec 30, 1892 in Portage la Prairie and indicates her mother’s maiden name as Mary McDONALD.
According to the Mormons website, Mary, born c1872, was the daughter of Caroline and John McDONALD of uncertain origins.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun May 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I have just completed a more thorough review for Henry BIRD, and based largely on information gathered from Ancestry.ca family Trees, I have added several children. The addition of daughter Harriet who married John REID should be of interest to Carrie.
Check out the latest revision:
UPDATED FAMILY PAGE FOR HENRY BIRD (1805-1893)

TimWhite

Post by TimWhite » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:40 pm

Hi there,
I have an add or two for the Bird family in the index. I am Timothy White I am the son of Jacqueline Engbert (daughter of Theodore Engbert and Carrol Engbert nee Hills) and Kenneth White. My maternal grandfather Theodore Engbert is the son of Rosalind Irene Bird (daughter of John James Bird and Margaret Bird nee Peebles) and William Engbert. I have been looking for some information about my ancestors, what band I belong to etc. If anyone could shed some light on this for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.