Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES SUTHERLAND (1777-1844)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: JAMES SUTHERLAND (1777-1844)

Post by gnstill » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Check this New Family Page out Jeremy:
RODERICK McKENZIE SUTHERLAND (1821-1896)

JeremyWhite

Post by JeremyWhite » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm

Thank you for this excellent page! If you send my your email address to me at jeremywh@hotmail.com -- or another method -- I'll send you Mary Emily (Lowman) Sutherland's obituary article from 1917, which includes a picture of her.

Also, amazingly, Alice Mary Sutherland did not travel with her parents out west to Oregon. She stayed with her grandparents at the Red River Settlement -- we don't know why (perhaps she was ill). Then, at the age of 16, she traveled with her grandmother, Mary (Kelly Lowman) Bird to England. Although she corresponded with her parents and siblings out in Portland, Oregon, I have not seen evidence that they ever saw each other again.

June 5, 1865. Alice Mary Sutherland, age 16, writes from Red River to her parents in Oregon:
"I can not leave Red River without writing you a few lines. You will be surprised to hear that Grandma is going to England, her health been so bad all the winter that her that only chance is a warmer climate. She has scarely been out of her room these six months and is still very weak, but we hope that the journey may do her good. We are expecting to start tomorrow. Uncle Maurice [Lowman] is going to take us as far as St. Paul's in a wagon, and from there we will go by rail and steamship. Uncle Maurice is a fur trader on his own account and lives up on Portage La Prarie. He pays us a visit every now and then he will bring back his goods when he returns from taking us. I told before I think that Aunt Eliza has a little son, his name is Charles James George, by all accounts he is a very fine child. Uncle Curtis's little boy is such a fine little fellow."

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:15 am

Thanks Jeremy! I have updated the new Page for Roderick.
Also, we now have a new Discussion Topic specifically for Roderick’s family, and to keep things organized I will move your comments there as well.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:12 pm

I have added the picture you sent of Mary (nee Lowman) Sutherland to the RODERICK SUTHERLAND Page. Thanks very much!

bthor

Post by bthor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:21 pm

Gary
small fixes needed

Aug 8, 1831: -- - I have now got all my Daughters married, the last two (Elizabeth & Letitia) on one day to An Orkney man & a Half Breed, a native of this country, both of the name of James INKSTER – the first is from Orphir and a boat builder by trade – the second is the Son of an industrious good man has a good Farm well stocked – He connected a saw mill which brings him money and in a very few years the whole will fall into the hands of my son-in-law. William is still with me and has been courting the Daughter of a Gentleman of this place - - My son-in-law CLOUSTON (married to daughter Nancy) is still in my neighborhood - - The only thing that gives me anxiety is my Grandchildren, the Children of my eldest daughter (Mary). : Should be (Sally)
Letters cont’d: Aug 7, 1838: - - for the greatest part of the winter I was very infirm - - confined to bed for upward of two months - - “I had one of my Orphan Grandchildren (that is a daughter of my
oldest daughter (Mary) that died in Canada) : Should be (Sally) that died in Quebec)
Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:25 am

Thanks Beth – fixes fixed.