Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN ROWAND (1787-1854)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

Re: JOHN ROWAND (1787-1854)

Post by gnstill » Tue May 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome aboard Lydia!
We know that Louise HUMPHREYVILLE already had a number of children before she became the wife of John ROWAND. Their father(s) was/ were probably Indian(s) and those children used the alias of ROWAND after their mother (Louise) married ROWAND). I am aware of many related Scrip affidavits but haven’t investigated thoroughly yet. I will check further and get back to you later. - Gary

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Wed May 28, 2014 9:13 am

Hi Lydia,

Another consideration that I believe Cora Taylor mentions is that Antoine Rowand was actually a Rowland, as the names were often confused, or from a family of Rowands who were of no relation to John and Lousie (in Victoria Callihoo: An Amazing Life (Eschia Books, 2008)). It would be interesting to find any concrete proof that Antoine was connected to the family.

1805 does seem a bit early for him to be the issue of John and Louise, but given the scrip record it could have been an estimate of time.

If Antoine is Louise's (possibly adopted by John, as Marie-Anne BRELAND was) or John & Louise's, he may be the son that is referred to in George Linton's Lesser Slave Lake Journal in 1831:

“This evening three men came home with moose and hide, shortly afterwards – Le Nipesangue, Mrs Rowand’s son, and Campion arrived with their hunts…”

Although this might also be Pascal or one of Louise HUMPHREYVILLE's other children from before her country marriage with John ROWAND. (Le Nipesangue is almost certainly a member or descendant of the Nipissing nation, an Ojibway group from modern day Ontario. Many Nipissings were brought west to trap by the companies and often went free. They formed a large part of the central Albertan freemen society.)

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Wed May 28, 2014 9:17 am

Also, a Mr. Rick Wilmot on Rootsweb is quite convinced of the Antoine/Rowand connection:

>>Gail,
>>Antoine's father is listed as Sieur John Rowand, mother as Louise
>>Millet. This is recorded in the Marriage Registry in Lac Ste Anne as
>>well as in the Provincial archives in Alberta. We have a letter to that
>>effect. However Antoine's wife father is listed as Ignace Nippissing
>>which may be the source of your confusion. There is no doubt at all
>>that we are descended from the famous John Rowand. We have a picture of
>>him and the family resemblance is striking. So you can correct your
>>files and be confidant that Gail Morin and my wife are accurate. The
>>Church records are never wrong however, the Script system was/is totally
>>flawed as its intent was to strip the Metis of their inherent rights as
>>opposed to being a benefit to us.
>>Rick

http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/rea ... 1110151729

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat May 31, 2014 8:39 am

As a basis for further discussions I have created a New Family Page:
ALEXIS BELCOURT (1827-1881)

Please post further comments about the BELCOURT descendants at this link: I will post a question for Lynda there.
FORUM for DISCUSSING the ALEXIS BELCOURT DESCENDANTS

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:20 pm

DCBO: During the early years of his mission RUNDLE was usually accompanied in his travels by a guide, or he travelled with HBC officers such as John Edward HARRIOTT or John ROWAND. As he grew more confident in the Cree language, he and his mixed-blood translator William ROWLAND travelled alone with Indian friends including Benjamin, son of MASKPETOON. This would be the elder John Edward HARRIOTT and William ROWLAND (1799-1873), an HBC voyageur from the Orkneys.
It's my understanding that Rev. Rundle used William ROWLAND (1799-1873)'s mixed-blood son, William (II) ROWLAND as his translator. William II was the son of William I and Betsey BALLEDINE.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/archives/hbca/ ... illiam.pdf

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 am

lindatomlinson

Post by lindatomlinson » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:01 am

Hello. I am slowly compiling information about my family line to John Rowand. John Rowand & Louise Humphreyville were my 3rd great grandparents. James McKay and Margaret Rowand were my great great grandparents. I believe Jane Dallas McKay and Louis Gagnon were my great grandparents. Cora Gagnon (McGavin) was my grandmother. Thanks so much for your research. It is fascinating seeing all the pieces come together! I would be very interested in finding information about Jane Dallas, if you have any recommendations for me. Best regards. Linda Tomlinson

bthor

Post by bthor » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Hi Linda,
I have done a lot of research on this part of the Family Tree and would love to share what I have found with you. Jane Dallas McKay was born on Aug 23, 1863 and died on Oct 6, 1916. So far, I have found 11 Children. Please contact me at fury3@mts.net for more info.
Beth Balsillie

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:48 pm

For Linda: New Family Page for your great-great-great grandparents:

JAMES McKAY (1797-1887)