Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JOHN ROWAND (1787-1854)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

JOHN ROWAND (1787-1854)

Post by gnstill » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:25 am

New Family Page: JOHN ROWAND (1787-1854)

Please post comments and queries about John ROWAND and his family here.

EdmontonTom

Re: JOHN ROWAND (1787-1854)

Post by EdmontonTom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Hooray! Congratulations on getting so much more up - even the confusing Pierre Breland!

Czar pg 62: Presumably their fifth child was Henry, who may have been born about 1820. When she came to live with John ROWAND, Louise had borne at least one child whom undoubtedly she brought with her. ** My comment: This statement doesn’t seem to agree with a previous statement regarding her children that were born before she met ROWAND in 1810.

The 'one child' Macgregor refers to is undoubtedly Marie-Anne BRELAND who later marries Richard GRANT. It has always been unclear to me whether any of Louise's other children by Breland (Madalaine? Alexandre? Pascal?) came with her to her new marriage alliance - if they were, in fact, Louise's children. I think I read somewhere that Pascal Breland lived with his 'mother' Josephine Lisette Belly.

I assume that after your yule-time feasting, you will add Margaret (b. 1825), and Adelaide (1832-ca. 1855).

Margaret, Marie-Anne's young half-sister, was present when Marie-Anne died while walking around the Fort sometime around 1835. This, sadly for Louise, was the same year that Henry died of a 'brain suffusion' in Red River.

C.D. Denny, an early geneaologist in Edmonton, left a note in the archives that states “John Rowand had a very faithful boatman servant of the name of Edward Dufresne and Edward Dufresne apparently felt so attached to John Rowand over a period of many years that he was not displeased to share his wife with him. So in 1847, Mrs. Dufresne bore John Rowand a son that was named Francois Dufresne.”

I have heard that in 1870, when the census was taken at St. James, Francois was listed along with William Rowand, son of John Rowand Jr., and his wife Mary Ross.

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:24 pm

Beth Balsillie, you are blowing my mind with this photograph of Louise! I had always thought that no photo had ever been taken of her.

Are you sure it's not Margaret Louisa ROWAND, daughter of John Jr, or some other relation? She certainly looks like a 'Rowand.'

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:27 pm

I’m extremely busy these days updating my latest Pages. Some of the erratic and confusing information I’m finding has presented quite a challenge and it’s slowed my progress. Expect lots of updates in the next few days.

bthor

Post by bthor » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi Guys
Clay Balsillie deserves the credit for the picture of Louise Rowand. The inscription reads as follows:
“Louise Rowand
negative no. 65.104/4
PROVINCIAL ARCHIVES OF ALBERTA
From Norma Balsillie Anderson
Restored by john w balsillie 2009”
Norma Balsillie Anderson is the daughter of Hugh Balsillie and granddaughter to John Balsillie (1839-1906) and Adelaide Rowand (1852-1889). Clayton Balsillie is the grandson of James Allen Rowand Balsillie 1876.

On another note, Alexander Rowand MD married Margaret Kincaid in Edinburgh Scotland on Dec 25, 1843
Beth

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:15 am

Thanks Beth: Changes made.

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:58 pm

I have talked with a friend who is an Archivist at the Provincial Archives of Alberta. He has forwarded me the donation material from Mrs. Edna Rowand Cramer who donated the photo purported to be Louise Umphreville.

But Mrs. Cramer, bless her heart, has identified the woman in the image as "Adelaide Harriott", who she says was the daughter of J.E. Harriott and married John Rowand Jr.

But all other information says that it was MARGARET Harriott, the daughter of J.E. Harriott and his first wife (and cousin) Elizabeth Pruden. As far as I know, there is no such woman as Adelaide Harriott.

Further, Mrs. Cramer identifies the famous image seen on the John Rowand Jr. page http://www.redriverancestry.ca/ROWAND-JOHN-1812.php

...as an "Indian nurse" holding the infant "Adelaide". But that can't be the case, because Margaret was born in ca. 1830 and this photograph was definitely not taken in 1831-2 when photography was in its infancy.

It's possible this is Adelaide Rowand (b. ca. 1852) who is the daughter of Margaret HARRIOTT and John ROWAND (Jr.) and Mrs. Cramer is confused (We're all confused!)

I will keep digging!

bthor

Post by bthor » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Tom, There is a picture of Adelaide Rowand (1852) on John Balsillie's Page. Beth

EdmontonTom

Post by EdmontonTom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:08 pm

Czar pg 148: Edward DUFRESNE’s wife bore John a son who, although he was named Francois DUFRESNE, appears to have been considered one of John ROWAND’s family.
My Notes: This statement refers to Francois DUFRESNE born around 1850-51, John’s illegitimate child with Marguerite MOIGNON aka MONDION who was born around 1830, daughter of Marie Suzanne NADEAU aka NADON and Joseph MONDION, a French Canadian. At that time Marguerite was married to Edouard DUFRESNE (1806-1855) who worked as a cook for the HBC. At the beginning of the 1885 Northwest Rebellion, Edward DUFRESNE worked for Thomas QUINN (1845-1885) who died in the Frog Lake Massacre.

Ah-ha! The name of Dufresne's wife - previously unknown to me - is very interesting. I have some Oblate archive records that record baptisms in 1843 of Jean and William Rowand, sons of "John Rowand." I always presumed this to be John Rowand Jr., who was still resident in the Saskatchewan at this time, about 30, and presumably unwed. The mother is listed as "Marguerite Mondion."

I had always assumed that Marguerite Mondion was the same as was married to John CUNNINGHAM at Rocky Mountain House in 1841 (although this site's page for Cunningham suggests that Marguerite may have died in the Columbia District). I was unaware of Cunningham's presence in the Sinclair Party and presumed that Cunningham had turned off Margaret in favour of Rosalie L'Hirondelle in 1846 - leaving a reasonable amount of time for Margaret to have taken up with John Rowand Jr.

If Marguerite MOIGNON aka MONDION was later linked with John Rowand Sr. and the birth of Francois DUFRESNE is it worth considering that she is the mother of William and Jean Rowand, of whom I know next to nothing? She would have been *very* young to have two boys, if the 1830 birth-date is correct.

As I have stated, I'm no geneologist.

Springwagon

Post by Springwagon » Tue May 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Hello; I'm new here. I have been researching Victoria Belcourt Callihoo with my daughter for a class project, and in the process found out that she is related to my cousin's wife, and I am completely fascinated by what I am learning, so I have kept up the research to try to put it all together.

I have just read "The Sun Traveller" by Elizabeth Macpherson, in which she states that Victoria's maternal grandfather was Antoine Rowand, a son of a Chief Factor at Fort Edmonton. No documents that I have turned up indicate that John, either Sr or Jr, had a son named Antoine.

I have a scrip document from Nancy Taillon (nee Rowand, alias Kinnowess), that states she was born at Lesser Slave Lake, 22 May 1875, the daughter of Antoine Rowand . Antoine was born around 1805. His father's name on the paper is first written as John, then crossed out and Ignace is written above. His mother was Louise, with no last name.

Antoine married Archange Nippissing and 2 children are noted: Nancy, and Betsy, the late wife of Alexis Gabriel Dumont.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? I'd appreciate the help!

Lynda