Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

CUTHBERT GRANT (1751-1799)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

CUTHBERT GRANT (1751-1799)

Post by gnstill » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:46 pm

New Family Page: CUTHBERT GRANT (1751-1799)

Please post comments and queries about Cuthbert GRANT SR and his family here.

caat_1

Re: CUTHBERT GRANT (1751-1799)

Post by caat_1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 am

Have you heard of the English River book

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:47 am

No. Give us a clue. What's it about?

caat_1

Post by caat_1 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:53 am

The English River book is the earliest NWC post journal in existence. Historians agree that this journal was written by Cuthbert Grant Sr. Your local library would be able to get a copy.

smithshe63

Post by smithshe63 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:46 pm

There is a question on Cuthber Grant Sr's page about whether there was a daughter Marie who married Francois Perreault dit Moran. The text at the bottom of the page on Cuthbert Grant Sr and his wife Margaret is the following: " Perhaps around 1818 alleged daughter Marie married Francois PERREAULT dit MORIN who was born around 1784. This child and marriage needs a lot more validation. So far no convincing evidence found to support this."

I am a descendant of Marie Grant (abt. 1795) and Francois Perreault dit Morin. I have taken a DNA test and have confirmed DNA matches to other descendants of Cuthbert Grant and Margaret through the eldest daughter Marguerite (1790) Grant (this DNA match is a 4th cousin 1x removed). This should help with confirmation of the connection to Cuthbert and Margaret for Marie.

Laliberte

Post by Laliberte » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:25 pm

My aunties, mom, sister, and I have our genealogies from Société historique de Saint-Boniface.
We ordered them back in the nineties.

Every one of them indicates that Cuthbert Grant (who died in 1799) married a Cree woman. They had a daughter named Marie / Marguerite Grant. She married Francois Paul / Perreault / Morin and they had a son named Olivier Paul.

Olivier Paul and Madeleine Gervais had a son named Paul Paul.
Paul Paul married Louise Zastre and their daughter, Caroline Paul, is my Great, Great Granny.

Other sources also indicate that Cuthbert Grant Sr. had several children.

Just wanted to share!

Craig Wuttunee

Post by Craig Wuttunee » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:19 am

Our family’s oral history says that Cuthbert Grant Sr was in charge of a post at Battleford Saskatchewan and the story goes that he had two sons Nyssa/Nisha Grant and Cuthbert Grant Junior. There was an attack and upheaval on trading posts on the Battle River and Sr had to leave in haste. Family tradition says he wanted to leave one son to become educated in the Indian way and one son to be educated in the white man’s way, And so he left Nyssa Grant who became the father of Wuttunee, Red Pheasant, Baptiste, and Cut Sleeve who married Ahenakew.

Izola Mottershead wrote a book entitled Before - Alex Decoteau - After, and I believe on page 11 she includes a story from my grandpa George Wuttunee Sr who is a son of Wuttunee, and he tells the story of Nisha Grant being called To help his brother at what became the Battle of Seven Oaks. I have not been able to find reference to a Nyssa or Nysha Grant in any written sources. We are all quite aware of the convenience of traders becoming involved with local first nations women for purposes of establishing trade and commerce partnerships. Perhaps the father of Wuttunee and Red Pheasant was already born and a marriage of convenience between Cuthbert Sr and their grandmother may have been something that happened and those boys may have grown up calling Sr their grandfather though there may not have been a blood tie.

I believe in the book by Alexander Morris it is stated that Wuttunee and Red Pheasant met with Morris and they explained that they had been there at the Battle River since the time of their grandfather but with the settlement of Fort Battleford and government ridge on the hill above them they felt encroached upon and stated that they would choose their reserve south in the Eagle Hills which they did in 1878. It is also interesting to note that they were known as “The Half-breed Chiefs”.

I would be interested in trying to trace a connection through Ancestry.com to the Cuthbert Jr descendants with my dad‘s DNA sample. He is 91 and is now the oldest living descendant of Wuttunee in Red Pheasant.

trudybellamy

Post by trudybellamy » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:45 am

Hi Craig
what is your account under on ancestry for people to see if they match your fathers DNA and the Grant connection?
Thanks Trudy

OLangan

Post by OLangan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:07 pm

Hello relatives! I’m a great great great grandchild of Cuthbert Grant! I might have added a great or missed one lol!

Laliberte wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:25 pm My aunties, mom, sister, and I have our genealogies from Société historique de Saint-Boniface.
We ordered them back in the nineties.

Every one of them indicates that Cuthbert Grant (who died in 1799) married a Cree woman. They had a daughter named Marie / Marguerite Grant. She married Francois Paul / Perreault / Morin and they had a son named Olivier Paul.

Olivier Paul and Madeleine Gervais had a son named Paul Paul.
Paul Paul married Louise Zastre and their daughter, Caroline Paul, is my Great, Great Granny.

Other sources also indicate that Cuthbert Grant Sr. had several children.

Just wanted to share!

OLangan

Post by OLangan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:14 pm

Do any of you go to Grant’s old Mill every year for the get together? I never did this when I lived in Manitoba and now I live in Alberta. I would love to go in 2023 but not sure when it will be held? If anyone has info please let me know? Thank you.