Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
alexander77

Re: LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

Post by alexander77 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:49 pm

gnstill wrote:New History Topic: LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

If you have more information about the Suzanne-E, or about the families who were involved, please post your comments and queries here.
I have two pictures of the Suzanne E side views when she was under power. One where she was aground at the mouth of the Red River. I can send you these pics when I have an address to send them to. my email is blacksocks@telus.net

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks for the Suzanne-E pics Alex. I have cropped and enhanced them to make them more presentable.
Alex noted – the Suzanne E has no life boats on it in both pics. H took the pics off the Red Diamond, the pic with the tree line is at the mouth of the Red River, she was hung up on the backwater.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:43 am

Alex: I now have Family Pages for your ancestors at the following links:

Your Great Grandparents at this link:
ADRIAN AUGUSTUS NEISON (1849-?)

Your grandparents at this link: CAPTAIN EDWARD ADRIAN NEISON (1887-1982)

Your parents at this link: ALEXANDER EDWARD NEISON (1910-1996)

I’m anxious to hear from you under each and all of the different related Forum Topics. There are lots of question that perhaps only you can answer properly.

Artist

Post by Artist » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Artist wrote:June 1, 2014

Hi,
I was on the Gimli pier about 2 years ago, painting the Namao, and the coast guard boat among others. I was approached by a gentleman asking if I had heard of the Suzanne E. I hadn't, at the time, so he told me about the events of Sept 1965, and that his wife owned the boat. Looking at my work on canvass, he asked if I would be interested in painting the Suzanne E on the seawall. I said I would, but we would have to make arrangements with the powers that be. He took my number and said he would look into it, and that was the last I heard from him.
I have since tried to find out what I can about the Suzanne E, but information is limited. I am still interested in this project in some form, if I can find this gentleman, or some pictures to work with.
Thanks Gary. Glad to have my small tribute to the memory of the nine people lost, on the Suzanne-E. I never did hear back from the mysterious gentleman. But it was to late, my curiosity was peaked. The first thing I found was, he didn't say his wife owned the boat. He said it was his wife's boat. My mistake.
I was also referred to someone very experienced with the lake, and likely involved in the aftermath events. He had a scrap book of lake history, and of the Suzanne-E, but only the same picture you have. After our brief conversation a warning was offered, "I'm not telling you what to do, or not do, but..." and something like, 'there are a lot of bad feelings out there and best not stir them up.'
Initially I took it to heart. But, nine people died, it was well documented at the time, and then apparently, deliberately not spoken of. Same as forgotten.
The gentleman I met 3 or 4 years ago was in a long dark coat and hat, and in his 80s, I think. Seemed more dressed for fall, but I think it was still summer. My other thought was, his wife was the cook, but Christine Settee was 58 at the time. The mystery continues.
One other question. Why would the boat go out with a hatch open. The suggestion I found in a book I have, is that a piece of cargo didn't fit all the way in, and was left it sticking out the open hatch. Would that be a decision of an lesser qualified captain?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:09 pm

** Note: The Suzanne-E narrative has been updated yet again, thanks to new info provided by Artist Don Watson. Yet another picture of the Suzanne-E from CBC Archives, and a better picture of Clifford EVERETT.

Regarding some of those mysteries – I’m sure Alex NEISON (b-1934) will have some of the answers. It was his grandfather who built the boat, and was the first captain thereon.

Regarding Suzanne-E pictures: Enough already!! – Unless someone has even better pictures of the boat.

Artist

Post by Artist » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:01 pm

I contacted CBC about the link to, Requiem for the Suzanne-E and you can access it here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3244948

suzbgolden wrote:Hello Gary,

My name is Suzanne and I am the namesake of the Suzanne E. The boat was built by my father, Noah Epstein, in 1946. My father grew up in Selkirk, MB and was the owner of Selkirk Fisheries. I had the honour of christening the boat. My father sold his business and the boat to Booth Fisheries in the 1950's.

We have been summer residents of Gimli for over forty years. I have been lobbying to have one of the streets in Gimli named to commemorate the Suzanne E but have not been successful to date, even though many streets are named for the fishing boats.

My husband was the one who approached the artist on the pier in Gimli a few years ago about commissioning a painting of the Suzanne E but there is a process to follow before any topic is allowed to be represented on the pier. We would love for this to happen.

Regarding the CBC documentary, it was done by filmmaker, Andy Blicq, who sometimes resides in Gimli. I may have a copy somewhere.

Perhaps with the 50th anniversary of the tragedy approaching, there might be some way to acknowledge the event.

Please feel free to contact me.

Suzanne Golden (nee Epstein)
Hi Suzanne,
I was glad to read your post. I have thought often about the occasion I spoke to your husband and wondered what he was able to find out. I imagine I know. Painting anything on the wall is only done through the art club. I did do my own research into the story of the Suzanne-E, but found very little information other than here at this forum. Through it all I felt compelled to do a painting of the Suzanne-E, using the Free Press picture. http://www.redriverancestry.ca/SUZANNE-E.php

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:28 pm

alexander77 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am My name is Alexander Neison. In my early years my grandfather Edward Neison (AKA- Capt. Ed Nelson built the Suzanne E in Winnipeg and I believe he was the first Capt. on the Suzanne. I wheeled for him during my school summer holidays. thought this might be of interest.
Alex Neison, I see on Heritage you have connected to my Grandfather Alexander H Foulds, I would be interested in knowing your link to AH Foulds, Thank you Allan Johnson

SusanB

Post by SusanB » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm looking for someone who might be interested in speaking about their knowledge of this story, the Suzanne E. to a group of seniors at the Library in Selkirk.
Could you please contact me if you are such a person or if you can recommend someone.
Thank you.

SusanB

Post by SusanB » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:17 pm

If anyone here is interested in attending Selkirk's Gaynor Family Library Circle of Friends on the afternoon of September 29th to hear a musical and oral presentation about the Suzanne E., please contact the library to confirm. We should have lots of seating but want to be prepared to accommodate everyone. Thank you.

Also,

Watson

Post by Watson » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:15 am

Artist wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:01 pm I contacted CBC about the link to, Requiem for the Suzanne-E and you can access it here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3244948

suzbgolden wrote:Hello Gary,

My name is Suzanne and I am the namesake of the Suzanne E. The boat was built by my father, Noah Epstein, in 1946. My father grew up in Selkirk, MB and was the owner of Selkirk Fisheries. I had the honour of christening the boat. My father sold his business and the boat to Booth Fisheries in the 1950's.

We have been summer residents of Gimli for over forty years. I have been lobbying to have one of the streets in Gimli named to commemorate the Suzanne E but have not been successful to date, even though many streets are named for the fishing boats.

My husband was the one who approached the artist on the pier in Gimli a few years ago about commissioning a painting of the Suzanne E but there is a process to follow before any topic is allowed to be represented on the pier. We would love for this to happen.

Regarding the CBC documentary, it was done by filmmaker, Andy Blicq, who sometimes resides in Gimli. I may have a copy somewhere.

Perhaps with the 50th anniversary of the tragedy approaching, there might be some way to acknowledge the event.

Please feel free to contact me.

Suzanne Golden (nee Epstein)
Hi Suzanne,
I was glad to read your post. I have thought often about the occasion I spoke to your husband and wondered what he was able to find out. I imagine I know. Painting anything on the wall is only done through the art club. I did do my own research into the story of the Suzanne-E, but found very little information other than here at this forum. Through it all I felt compelled to do a painting of the Suzanne-E, using the Free Press picture. http://www.redriverancestry.ca/SUZANNE-E.php
It is a shame to see the story of the Suzanne E so deliberately forgotten, even on the 50th anniversary of the loss and into the years that follow. It might as well have been, nine people lost on a boat that no one knew was missing.

ARTIST/WATSON