Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
gnstill
Site Admin

LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

Post by gnstill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:36 am

New History Topic: LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

If you have more information about the Suzanne-E, or about the families who were involved, please post your comments and queries here.

rossm

Re: LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

Post by rossm » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi Gary

Allan Clemons was a classmate of mine in Selkirk Collegiate one year, so I remember the Suzanne E tragedy well. About that time I too spent a season on Lake Winnipeg as wheelsman on the Amelia Mac towing bargeloads of silica sand from Black Island to Selkirk.

As I understand it, they were carrying a smaller boat as cargo that wouldn't fit through the large cargo hatch into the cargo deck and was left sticking out of the large hatch visible in the photo. A bunch of drums of fuel were loaded onto the main deck. On the way to Grindstone, they were in contact with the J.R.Spears heading south, but chose to ignore their warning about heavy seas north of Grindstone Point until they rounded the point. While attempting to turn back, the seas caught the portion of the smaller boat sticking out and dragged them over, probaply helped by the weight of the fuel drums up top.

In the wheelhouse were Capt. Johnson, Mate Clifford Everett, and Wheelsman Allan Clemons. The force of it tore the wheelhouse from the deck and they floated free hanging on to the wreckage while the Suzie went to the bottom. As they drifted southward, they passed very close to Deer Island and Allan Clemons, who could swim decided to swim to shore there. They were so close that afterwards Cliff Everett was shocked to learn he hadn't made it. Capt. Johnson died of a heart attack as they washed ashore on Black Island, leaving Clifford Everett the only survivor.

With regards to the CBC show, I remember seeing a promo about an upcoming show which I watched for, but never saw. I thought it was on Country Canada but I could find nothing on CBC Archives under Man Alive or Country Canada. You may find the following paste from CBC Archives helpful:

"Email
Please send an email to archives@cbc.ca (copy and paste this address into your email program) and we will respond within five business days. "

Also - Sully Sigurdson of Riverton had a song about the sinking on his album Lake Winnipeg Fisherman if you can find it (I can't).

Ross
Last edited by rossm on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rossm

Post by rossm » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Gary
The following might be helpful:

For reports of Marine investigations before 1990 go to Library and Archives Canada at

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Pages/home.aspx

If you are asked to sign in press Cancel and again if nec. On the page that comes up, press "Contact Us"

Have fun.

Ross

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks Ross.

I have made quite a few changes to the feature page for this, and have included most of the details provided by EVERETT at the Inquest.
Added a couple more pictures as well.

Expect more changes and additions in the next week of so as I find time to do more research.

Artist

Post by Artist » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:31 am

Hi,
I was on the Gimli pier about 2 years ago, painting the Namao, and the coast guard boat among others. I was approached by a gentleman asking if I had heard of the Suzanne E. I hadn't, at the time, so he told me about the events of Sept 1965, and that his wife owned the boat. Looking at my work on canvass, he asked if I would be interested in painting the Suzanne E on the seawall. I said I would, but we would have to make arrangements with the powers that be. He took my number and said he would look into it, and that was the last I heard from him.
I have since tried to find out what I can about the Suzanne E, but information is limited. I am still interested in this project in some form, if I can find this gentleman, or some pictures to work with.

Eileen Hamilton

Post by Eileen Hamilton » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:57 pm

Hi Gary,

I found some info on Christina d'Arcis Settee[/u]. Hope it helps.

Married to Alex Settee son of Albert James Settee (Smallie) and Mary Jane Jemima Phelps. Alex was raised at Scanterbury, MB.

Christina was the daughter of James and Maria d'Arcis and grew up at Washow Bay, north of Riverton, MB. She was born April 24, 1907.
When Alex died suddenly in 1942, Christina and her young family moved back to Washow Bay from Matheson Island, to live with her d'Arcis grandparents. She moved to Riverton when her children reached school age.
She never married again and was employed by Booth Fisheries as a cook on the freighter, Suzanne E. for a number of years.. She was 58 years old that fateful trip on September 24, 1965. Christina was one of the nine crew members that died when the boat capsized in the stormy water. Her body was found on September 25 and her funeral was held in Selkirk on October 3, 1965. She is buried in the Wakefield Cemetery north of Selkirk.

From "Paddles to Propellers" A History of Matheson Island: A Fishing Community

Julie07

Post by Julie07 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:49 am

gnstill wrote:New History Topic: LEGEND OF THE SUZANNE-E (1965)

If you have more information about the Suzanne-E, or about the families who were involved, please post your comments and queries here.

I am the grand daughter of the late Clifford Everett Sr, my name is Julianne Sinclair i just wanted to answer your some of your un answered questions:
Clifford Howard Everett Sr was born Dec 26, 1940 Deceased Feb 22, 1998
Mothers name was Juliet Whiteway Nee: Everett, Father Unknown Step Father's name was Fred Whiteway both of Berens River Clifford was raised by his grandmother and grand father Martha and Alexander Everett
Cousin Tache Everett's Jr father's name was Tache EverettSr Clifford's uncle Juliet and Tache Sr were bother and sister.
Last edited by Julie07 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:27 am

Thanks very much Julianne!
Based on your information I was able to find Clifford’s obituary which indicates he was married to a Pauline (SAWANASH) for 36 years. I have the picture from his obit to the Suzanne-E narrative. It is not very good quality, so if you have a more suitable one that I could replace it with I would be very grateful if you could Email it to me.

There is a lot of very interesting genealogy connected to the WHITEWAY and EVERETT families which I hope to follow up with if I can find the time. I’m so busy with genealogy these days that I now work from a Priority List.
More about that at this link: SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

Julie07

Post by Julie07 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:20 am

Tache brother Captain George Everett was in a boating accident on lake Winnipeg in oct 08 his body was never recovered. Just thought I would share that information as Tache went the same way how ironic

Julie07

Post by Julie07 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:43 am

Clifford Howard Everett Sr fathers name was Howard Chinawith