Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
bhmitchell

Re: PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Post by bhmitchell » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:21 am

Hello Gary,
I am still not sure how I should be replying. I just started a reply, then went back to look at something you had written and my reply disappeared. Can you tell me how to respond directly to one particular message? I am simply going into "Post Reply".

This is my genealogical line: from Philip to Joseph Sr to Charlotte (b: 6 Dec 1827 at Moose Factory; married James Harper 1844 at Marten's Falls) to Nancy Ann Harper (b: 19 July 1845 at St. Andrew's; married John Low Loutit 1867).

Thank you for pointing out additional information from Pearl Weston. I do not have the entire book but have access to it through my uncle. I will definitley check out the reference to Philip's intent to pay her money in 1789.

I don't expect we will find any definitive answers to the question of how many children Philip had or to the identity of his wife although I agree with you that she was likely not Eskimo. In fact, I was previously aware of only two children, Joseph and a daughter called Hannah.

Thanks,
Barbara

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks very much for that Barbara.

This is very interesting! I went to school with two of the LOUTIT girls from Lockport. I have lots of info on your LOUTIT ancestors too.
Gary

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm posting this message on Philip Turnor's page as I think it is the most appropriate. I would really like to have (or at least read) a copy of Pearl Weston's 'Across the River' as I'm desperately looking for contemporary descendants of his family who might be able to fill in more recent history. I would imagine the book is now out of print. Is there anyone out there who might be able to help me by corresponding. I can send my email address is that is appropriate, Miegunyah. :(

bhmitchell

Post by bhmitchell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:07 am

Hello Gary, Miegunyah and Barry,
Gary--I finally got back in to your site but need to change to a more user-friendly password. Can you please tell me if the dots on the "password" mean that I do NOT need to put it in again?

Re the Loutits: Do you mean Ruth, Ann and Isobel? I met them and visited with them a few times. They were amazing women. I hope to get to the Loutit family connection after I finish with Turnor.

Barry and Miegunyah: I, too, would like to obtain a copy of Across the River. My uncle has one, but I would like to have my own copy. If you can send an address or phone number of Pearl Weston's daughter I would most appreciate that. Also, I see on page 17 of Weston's book that she refers to John MacDonald, a great-great-grandson from Fort Hope, who remembered hearing a story about Turnor. Is this gentleman still alive and can anyone provide a contact number. I would love to hear more about that story.

Thanks,

Barb

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:26 am

Barb: I’m not sure, but I think the dots mean you don’t have to put your password in. You can certainly find out simply by trying it.
Regarding the LOUTIT Girls: The girls I am referring to were daughters of Phyllis TRUTHWAITE & Stanley LOUTIT (1919-1977).
Regarding Pearl Weston’s Book: I’m sure we will hear from Miegunyah about this welcome news. She’s anxious to know if there are any references to Sally WAPISK in that book. At least someone we now know has access to her book! I’m sorry, but I don’t have address or phone numbers for Pearl’s daughter.

barry

Post by barry » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 pm

I obtained my copy of "Across The River" about 10 years ago. I had heard of the book and searched through the Canadian Library system and Chapters who have records of every book published. They had no record of the book ever being published and told me that it could have been self published.
I was able to track down Pearl Weston's husband and he said that Pearl had just recently been moved to a nursing home as she was suffering from Alzheimer disease (I understand she has passed on).
I asked her husband if it would be alright to speak to her daughter. He gave me the phone number and I phoned her and talked about her mother. We spoke of the book "Across the River" she said that her father had a couple of copies left.
I asked if she thought he would sell me one of the remaining copies. She said that she would ask him.
A couple of weeks later the copy arrived in the mail. I sent him a money order and e-mailed his daughter with my thanks.
I have lost the father and daughter's address and e-mail.
My copy of "Across the River" is in our storage and I have not yet been able to find it.

barry

Post by barry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:37 am

Hi Gary
I discovered this information on the internet regarding Pearl Weston's book "Across the River"

Across The River: A History of the Turner, Thomson, Campbell, families by Pearl Weston. Regina: PrintWest Comm., c.1995

I still have not found my copy.

Barry....

barry

Post by barry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:47 am

Hi Gary
I also found Pearl's obituary

Mrs. Pearl Lorraine Weston age 76 years of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, passed away November 06th 2002 at the Swift Current Care Centre. Funeral Services were held Saturday, November 08th 2002, at 1:00 pm from Grace United Church with Reverend Harold Benjamin officiating. The interment was held at St John's Cemetery, Antelope District. The Eulogy was presented by her daughter, Nora Weston-Stuart. The organist was Eileen Hrycyna. The Honorary Pallbearers were all of her family and friends.

Pearl is survived by her husband, John Weston; her son, Ken Lloyd [Treena Redmond] of Swift Current; her daughters: Nora [Dave Stuart] of Emerald Park SK., and Sharon [Ken Retzlaff] of Calgary AB.; her grandchildren: Alisha [Jody Lussier] and Amber Lloyd, Kalie and John Stuart, and Lisa Retzlaff.
Her brothers: Laurence [Norma] Hazelwood, Neil [Jody] Hazelwood; and her sister, Irene Brown - all of Prince Albert SK.
She was predeceased by her daughter, Sharon Lorraine Lloyd, in infancy; and her parents, Hazel and Ernest Hazelwood.

I was speaking with her daughter Nora Weston/Stuart a number of years ago.
I hope these clues can help others who are in search of the book "Across the River"
Barry....

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:28 pm

That’s great Barry! I was waiting for just such information to confirm my own notes about Pearl. Now I can confidently present Pearls lineage back to Philip TURNOR. Here goes:

Pearl’s mother, Hazel Florence CAMPBELL b-1897 was the daughter of Emma “Amy” THOMPSON b-1864 and George Archibald CAMPBELL (1854-1909).
Emma THOMPSON b-1864 was the daughter of Emma TURNER & John THOMPSON (1832-1869)
Emma TURNER b-1841 was the daughter of Sarah HUMPHREYVILLE & Joseph TURNER (1816-1885).

The rest of her lineage to Philip TURNOR is outlined at the following link: FAMILY PAGE for JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Barbara: This should be of particular interest to you. My notes seem to indicate that the HAZELWOOD family lived for a time at Nokomis (SK), to the north of Weyburn where W.O. MITCHEL spent his boyhood years.