Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
V~Walker

Re: PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Post by V~Walker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:06 am

Hi everyone,
I am one of the scores of descendents of Joseph / Emma Turnor. My great great grandfather Alexander MacLeod married his granddaughter, Jane, who begat George (m. Isabella MacBean) who begat William (m. Emily Hardisty). My familial history is fairly well documented via our family genealogists, except for Philip Turnor, his pre HBC background and later years.

I would love to learn more about Philip Turnor and I understand that Barbara Mitchell was penning a book about the "Writing the Life of Philip Turnor: A Journey of Discovery". Could someone tell me if that book is now published and available for purchase.

It is my passionate stance that Philip Turnor deserves much more recognition in Canadian history than he is afforded.
~

szandi55

Post by szandi55 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:41 pm

bhmitchell wrote:I am new to this and am not quite sure how it works.

I have just read the item on Philip Turnor who is an ancestor of mine. I am writing a biography of him and have questions about some of the information on this site. I have never heard before of the Ojibwe wife of 1779 and the child, John Turner, (or White Bear). I would like to find out more about this. I wonder if, in fact, it is a child of John Turner who was a sloop captain (and thought to be Philip's brother by J.B. Tyrrell although I do not think that is so). Also I am VERY INTERESTED to find out where the quotation was found where Turnor said that he would get home to see his wife and child. I have read the Brunswick House Journal and did not see that. Can someone verify where that came from as it is of utmost importance to me.

Thank you.

HI most of the information about Philip Turnor can be found on the Hudson Bay website. My ancestry was Philip's son Joseph.

V~Walker

Post by V~Walker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Update: I am well aware of Philip's history as presented here, as well HBC website/archives, various miscellaneous mini online Canadian biographies along with the Journals of Samuel Hearne and Philip Turnor, David Thompson's Narrative, A Country So Interesting, Turnor's Astronomical Observations including contributions to the Nautical Almanac. Also Across the River (Pearl Weston) (which I understand is a self-published/private publication). I see that Ms. Mitchell may have an account here so will try to contact her from here. Thank you!
~

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Disappointingly, it has been more than a few years since we last heard from Barbara TURNER on this Forum. I had been trying to complete the Family Pages for her lineage.
I have just completed a New Family Page regarding the GOFF Family of Lockport, who I believe were probably Barbara’s great grandparents at this link:
WILLIAM VINCENT BERNARD GOFF (1872-1849)
I am hoping she will return to verify or negate this.

Jlwiebe94

Post by Jlwiebe94 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:24 am

Did anyone figure out how to get a copy of "Across the River"? I would very much like to find one.

I recently acquired Carolyn Tumber's book, it was a good read. Gary, do you have a copy?

Jennifer

Jamie01

Post by Jamie01 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:17 am

I am also a descendant of Philip Turnor I also have the book across the river and a huge family tree thier are no more copies of across the river my family is also in that book my great grandpa and my grandpa my great grandpa was John Turner and my grandpa was his son lawerance Turner my dad was Wayne Turner

Jamie01

Post by Jamie01 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:43 pm

did anyone on here get their treaty or just metis card

Jlwiebe94

Post by Jlwiebe94 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Gary,

Barbara's book "Mapmaker: Philip Turnor in Rupert's Land in the Age of Enlightenment" is coming out this October (so excited)!

Question: How do Elizabeth White Bear's date of birth?

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 am

I don’t believe anyone really knows her exact birth-date. Around 1752 is only an approximation.

kprimorac

Post by kprimorac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks for adding me Gary! I am also one of Philip Turnor's many descendants.

My lineage is:

Philip Turnor & Elizabeth
Joseph Turner & Emma Good
Philip Turner & Jane Chisolm Boland
Joseph Alexander Turner & Jane Whitford
Archibald Turner & Eleanora (Lenore) Gauthier
Marcel (Mickey) Frederick Turner & Freelove Frances Rockwell
Heather Judy Turner & Stanko Primorac
I am the eldest daughter of 3.

I would also be interested in getting copies of Pearl Weston's book "Across the River" as well as Barbara's book "Mapmaker: Philip Turnor in Ruperts Land in the Age of Enlightenment.

I'd be interested in seeing the family trees that other "branches" of our family have done for their own. I would be willing to share a copy of my family tree that I'm doing for a Turner family reunion at Metis Crossing in August.

Thanks for all the great work you've been doing on this site, Gary!

Kerri