Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
bhmitchell

Re: PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Post by bhmitchell » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Kerri and Jennifer,
Thanks for the input. I will take a look at the genie. Yes, I can see that editing might be a problem. I have been wondering about doing something with Wikipedia and Philip Turnor.

Kerri:I do have what I think is a very interesting section on Philip's possible English family who may have come from Staffordshire. I found it fascinating and though I have uncovered a lot more history there is still a missing link.

Another point: I do not think John is Philip's brother--you will see my explanation in a footnote in the book. I do not have conclusive evidence but I think they are a different family.

Barbara

Jlwiebe94

Post by Jlwiebe94 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Hi Kerri,

I just checked and the free Geni account lets you have unlimited profiles.

Jennifer

Leefrap

Post by Leefrap » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:52 pm

bhmitchell wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:48 am Hello Turnor descendants,
I have just completed a biography on Philip Turnor called MAPMAKER: PHILIP TURNOR IN RUPERT'S LAND IN THE AGE OF ENLIGHTENMENT. It will be available October 14, 2017 and is published by the University of Regina Press. Readers will find new information on birth, death and marriage dates, on his parentage, his journeys, and especially his last three years in Rupert's Land when there developed a serious "breach of trust" between him and William Tomison. There is new material on his 1794 map and on his employment in London following his retirement from the HBC.
Philip Turnor and his Cree wife are my 4X great-grandparents and my lineage is through Joseph Turner and Emma to Charlotte Turner and James Harper to Nancy Harper and John Low Loutit.
Regards,

Barbara Mitchell
Barbara we are very excited about the book. I am descendant of Phillip x4 great grandfather. And through Joseph and Emma my x 2 great father was youngest of 13 children. john turner born 1842 moose factory He ended up located at lake temagami in 1870 with the establishment of new HBC post at bear island where he was the factor He has many descendants at lake temagami

Shelly Moore-Frappier

bhmitchell

Post by bhmitchell » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 am

Hello Shelly,
Thank you for responding. I Hope you will find my biography interesting. You are the first descendant I have heard from whose ancestor is John. The book is now out. I received my first copy last week! Temagami is a long drive, but I'll just mention to you that there will be a launch of my biography at the Canadian Canoe Museum on November 2. There are 3-4 descendants (whom I have only met via email) who are attending. There is also a launch at the Hudson's Bay Company Archives in Winnipeg in 4 days, on Oct 11.

Barbara Mitchell

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Shelly - Please more precisely define who your parents and grandparents were and what was the source of your information?
We seem to have two different John TURNER’s to deal with here.

Leefrap

Post by Leefrap » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:18 pm

bhmitchell wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:07 am Hello Shelly,
Thank you for responding. I Hope you will find my biography interesting. You are the first descendant I have heard from whose ancestor is John. The book is now out. I received my first copy last week! Temagami is a long drive, but I'll just mention to you that there will be a launch of my biography at the Canadian Canoe Museum on November 2. There are 3-4 descendants (whom I have only met via email) who are attending. There is also a launch at the Hudson's Bay Company Archives in Winnipeg in 4 days, on Oct 11.

Barbara Mitchell
My daughter Jessica attends Trent University in Peterborough and will be interested in attending. I'll let my Turner cousins About it as well. Do you know what time the signing will be at?

Leefrap

Post by Leefrap » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:39 pm

gnstill wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:43 pm Shelly - Please more precisely define who your parents and grandparents were and what was the source of your information?
We seem to have two different John TURNER’s to deal with here.
Hello Gary.

johny Turner is the son of Joseph Turner Sr and Emma and was born February 3 1842 moose factory and died 1926 temagami. He married Mary McLean 1872 at fort temiskaming. Their son my great grandfather Joseph was born 1875. He married Ellen Friday. They had 5 children including my grandfather George Turner 1905. They all resided at Bear Island on Lake temagami. My mother Verla married Edward Moore. He was raised by his grandparents William Moar of ruperts house Williams brother Charles married Emma Turner daughter of John Turner and Mary McLean. They all lived on lake Temagami at bear island. It is my understanding John Turner is the 13 th child of Joseph and Emma Turner The church Abitibi temiskaming Indian register confirms John at temiskaming by 1865 when he first married. Second marriage in 1872. Both records indicate Joseph Turner as father. His sister Jane and Alexander McLeod also appear in the record.

If you have any other information or correction let me know. As well as any questions

Cheers.
Shelly

bhmitchell

Post by bhmitchell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:55 am

Hello Shelly & gnstill,
I have a page from a family bible (that was copied and given to me by two different Philip Turnor descendants) that shows John, last child, of Emma and Joseph, born 3 Feb 1842. He would have been the brother of Charlotte Turner, who is my great-great grandmother.
I wonder if gnstill is thinking of John Turner, the sloop master, who is referred to as a brother of Philip Turnor by Tyrrell, but I have found no evidence in journals or letters to corroborate that.

Barbara Mitchell

Leefrap

Post by Leefrap » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:59 am

Miigwech for that information Barbara. Turner's have been at Temagami since 1876. I'll be sharing the news of your book as well as the November 2 event with my clan. I am the Director of the Indigenous Sharing and Learning Centre at Laurentian University and would love to connect with you

bhmitchell

Post by bhmitchell » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:04 pm

Hello Shelly,
Good to meet you I missed your post saying your daughter attends Trent. I used to teach English at Trent for about 10 years but am retired. In response to your question: the talk is at 6:30 for about half an hour. Then the signing. Yes, please pass on any information about the Launch or the book that you can. I should tell you that the focus of the book on Philip Turnor and I do not discuss his descendants in any detail except to indicate my lineage and how my people ending up in St Andrew's Parish, Red River area. I'm not a genealogist--but need to do some more work on the Loutits and Harpers.
If your daughter comes to the launch be sure and tell her to identify herself. Perhaps we could exchange emails that way?

Barbara