Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
MIEGUNYAH

Re: PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm

Hello from Australia. I have obtained information from London, England, Baptism, Marriages and Burials 1538-1812 for Philip Turnor. Philip, son of John and Betty Turnor, was christened on 26th November 1752 in the Parish of St Mary's, Battersea, County Surrey, Borough of Wandsworth. One would think he was then born in 1752. Banns for his marriage to Elizabeth Hallett, Banns 1754-1921, were dated thirteenth day of June 1788, Parish of Battersea St Mary's, Borough of Wandsworth. He was a bachelor and Elizabeth a spinster. He was buried on 6 March 1800 in the Parish of St Marylebone, Middlesex, Westminster. Must then have died in 1800. I have a feeling there is a close tie up between St Mary's and St Marylebone, maybe even one and the same, not sure. I'm stilll looking for anything on Sally Wapusk/Wapisk and Wapusk himself in Red River, burial etc. Pam (Miegunyah)

MIEGUNYAH

Post by MIEGUNYAH » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:21 pm

Further to my earlier posting, I note the other entry for a Bann for a marriage of Philip to Elizabeth Armstrong on 9 October 1785, Stepney, Spitalfields. As there is some doubt about this marriage and its timing as Philip's journals indicate he was not in England at that time and he was in England in 1788 i.e. returned to England on 9 Sept 1787. On 16 May 1789 he renewed his contract with the HBC. This would indicate he was in England in 1788, so could we then assume he married Elizabeth Hallett in 1788. The Philip who signed the Armstrong Banns signed with 2 'ls', the Hallett Banns with one 'l', although the signture is very feint. Pam (Miegunyah)

bhmitchell

Post by bhmitchell » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:55 pm

Hello Turnor descendants,
Thanks Barry for the info re the Weston book. I will try to get in touch with Nora to get a book.

Pam: I was delighted to see that you had found Philip's Christening record, for I have been looking for it for years (in Laleham)! This is a great addition to my research. I have a record of an "oath" of intent to marry dated 22 Feb 1788 and went back on ancestry this morning to locate the licence of 13 June 1788 which you discovered there. Yes, definitely, he was married to Elizabeth Hallett, not Armstrong, and, in fact, Turnor makes way for a nephew of Elizabeth's to join the HBC service. It was also valuable to locate his burial record. I knew that he died 1 March 1800 (I have a record of that from a man he was working for), so the burial date sounds correct. Now what I need are a list of his siblings and I would like to locate something about his farming in Laleham. Did you find your information via Ancestry? If you want to correspond re email, let me know. Do you live in Australia?
Barbara

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 pm

I do have lots of information on the HALLETT ancestry. However, I have been extremely busy lately reviewing my files and preparing family pages for numerous other people who have made donations in support of my work. I am obliged to place a priority on responding to their inquiries. I have already spent an enormous amount of effort and time on the TURNER – BEAR pages and will have to put those topics on the back-burner for now. Nevertheless, I will resume my efforts as time permits.
Gary

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 am

Thanks for the donation Barbara; much appreciated! Such responses indicate that what I am doing has a tangible value to others and provides me with motivation to continue my work.

I have started a page for Henry HALLET to provide some further information regarding the HALLETT – TURNOR connection as a basis for further discussion. Heather Hallett’s information seems to support the findings made by yourself and Pam.

Henry HALLETT’s story is a long complicated one that I will continue in the weeks to come. Let me know if there are any particular details that you would like to know about his family sooner.

Here’s the link: FAMILY PAGE for HENRY HALLETT (1773-1844)

bhmitchell

Post by bhmitchell » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 am

I have a christening date for Elizabeth Hallett of 2 April 1752. I discovered this at the London Metro Archives (X055/001) when I was searching for marriage records for Philip and Elizabeth. The entry reads: "Elizabeth Da [daughter] of Thomas & Eliz Hallett....born March 7". I think this date is correct for Philip's Elizabeth and, therefore, that would make Henry Hallett a nephew of Elizabeth and, through marriage, of Philip.

I have very little information on Henry, just what I discovered as I read through Tyrrell's Journals of Hearne and Turnor. I have also a note in my own chronology that I discovered in Cumberland House Journals (p. xlvi) that indicates that Henry was dismissed from the HBC for a "cowardly murder of an Indian."

Barbara

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:58 pm

Thanks very much Barb. I have updated and completed my work on Henry HALLETT Family and have included a summary regarding the HALLETT – TURNOR issue. I also found more information regarding Henry’s involvement in the murder of a young Cree man and included that in the update as well.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:44 am

I have now updated Philip's page with regard his marriage to Elizabth HALLETT; link: PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:28 am

Alexander "Joseph" McLeod is the father of Alexander "James" McLeod, not the other way around. A lot of people have it wrong. Refer to the LDS website for confirmation. Compact Disc #21 Pin #36228 Submission Search: 1048520-1014100120203 Alexander Joseph McLeod was my great great grandfather.
His son, George B. McLeod was my great grandfather.
Alexander was born 19 Jul 1825, in Halkirk, Caithness, Scotland. George was Alexander and Jane's fourth child.
George and his wife (my great Granny, as everyone called her) had about 18 children. This part of the McLeod family spans right across Canada.
When I was born, I was George and Isabella's 70th great grandchild. Isabella died in 1963, when I was 7 years old.
Alexander "James" McLeod was Alexander Joseph McLeod and Jane Turner's son. He was born 14 Jun 1857 at New Post, Ontario. He married Jane Polson and had about 12 children. One of their great grandchildren, Carolyn Tumber wrote a book about the McLeod's of Moose Factory.
As well, the book "A Fur Trader's Story", written by Jock Anderson, son in law of George and Isabella, described the way of life for the fur trader's and trappers. It can be found online, and mentions many names of the people that lived and worked in the north.
If anyone is interested, I am more than willing to share what information I have on the McLeod family. I have done extensive research and found many documents to support what I have.
Regards,
Wendy

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Welcome to the Forum Wendy!

First, check this link:
FAMILY PAGE for ALEXANDER McLEOD (c1825-1885)

We already have discussions under way about this family at this link: FORUM DISCUSSING ALEXANDER McLEOD DESCENDANTS

So as not to confuse everyone, I’m going to move your comments to that Topic Page where I will have lots of questions for you later. For further comments, please continue under that Topic.