Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
dbelka

Re: PHILIP TURNOR (1751-1799)

Post by dbelka » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:53 am

I am a descendant of Philip Turnor and Edward Umfreville. I have my mother's copy of " Across the River" written by my great aunt Pearl Weston and it spurred me to try to find out even more about both of their lives before they came to Canada and after they returned back to England.

We have always been looking for Philip's records in Laleham, so no wonder we hadn't found them. I would love to compile even more information and to see pictures of any records that anyone has found.

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:03 pm

How can I find a copy of that book, Across the River? Is it in the Ontario Library System?
I would love to read it.
Thanks,
Wendy

dbelka

Post by dbelka » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 pm

The book was only published in a small number as my great aunt paid for them out of pocket and family ordered them from her. I am not sure how many are out there now in general circulation. But I am going to try to get a hold of my mothers cousin Nora and see if she knows. I will try to let you know as soon as I can find anything out.

Redhairedgirl

Post by Redhairedgirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 am

Thanks, I would appreciate that.
Wendy

MJBrick

Post by MJBrick » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi I am new but have been reading the posts in regards to my ancestor. I started my research in 1995 and was fortunate to have spoken to Pearl Weston on many an occasion and I have her book. I also have the book "Journals of Hearne and Turnor". Unfortunately I have not contiued my work for personal reasons, just recently picked it up again.I noticed someone was interested in the fellow mentioned on page 17 of Pearl's book. John MacDonald this individual was my great uncle older brother to my grandmother Sarah Irene Gallop nee Macdonald. She was born in 1898. Pearl was able to get many of the letters he wrote to his uncle. Uncle John had started to dig into his own history. His grandfather was Philip Turnor the decendent of the original surveyor. Uncle John was particularly interested in the humpherville connection. I am off to wrk but will get back tomorrow.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:11 pm

Welcome aboard MJBrick! Can you give us a first name to refer to?

As a first time registrant, I recommend you visit the Home page for more information about how to navigate on the website, etc. Just click here: RED RIVER ANCESTRY HOME PAGE

Here are the links that should be of interest to you. Please post comments under the Forum Topics preset in each Family Page.

MORE ABOUT SARAH HUMPHREYVILLE & JOSEPH TURNER (1816-1885)

MORE ABOUT ANNA TURNER & THOMAS HUMPHREYVILLE

MJBrick

Post by MJBrick » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 pm

My name is Margaret.
I am the decendent of Philip Turnor 1839 to 1919 and his wife Harriet Anderson. My great grandmother was their daughter Margaret Turner/Turnor. She married rev.Donald Macdonald. John Alexander Macdonald was their eldest son. This is the person that Pearl refers to when speaking of John Macdonald from Fort Hope. I noticed Barb was interested in this man who is my great Uncle. I have picures of him and also have pictures of Philip Turner/Turnor 1839-1919. I did send copies to Pearl back in 96. She and I had some wonderful conversations.
John died in Fort Hope. He was married to an aboriginal lady and they had no children. He was a teacher on the reservation and an Anglican minister.
I am not sure if I have started a new discussion or carrying on with the common ancestor Philip Turnor 1751-1799.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:37 am

Very interesting Margaret!

Unfortunately, I don’t have time right now to do a proper Family Page for your Philip, but I have created an outline which can be filled in later. I will move your comments to the Forum Topic created there, and we can continue discussions there as well. Here’s the link: FAMILY PAGE for PHILIP TURNER (1839-1919)

MJBrick

Post by MJBrick » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:05 pm

bhmitchell wrote:Hello Gary, Miegunyah and Barry,
Gary--I finally got back in to your site but need to change to a more user-friendly password. Can you please tell me if the dots on the "password" mean that I do NOT need to put it in again?

Re the Loutits: Do you mean Ruth, Ann and Isobel? I met them and visited with them a few times. They were amazing women. I hope to get to the Loutit family connection after I finish with Turnor.

Barry and Miegunyah: I, too, would like to obtain a copy of Across the River. My uncle has one, but I would like to have my own copy. If you can send an address or phone number of Pearl Weston's daughter I would most appreciate that. Also, I see on page 17 of Weston's book that she refers to John MacDonald, a great-great-grandson from Fort Hope, who remembered hearing a story about Turnor. Is this gentleman still alive and can anyone provide a contact number. I would love to hear more about that story.

Thanks,

Barb
Hello Barb my name is Margaret I so hope I am doing this right. New to the forum!!!
The man you refer to is my great uncle he died sometime in the fifties. He was my granmothers older brother. I have copies of the letters that Pearl refers to as well as pictures of Uncle John.
Would love to share with you. Not sure how we go about that though. :?:

Heather

Post by Heather » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:29 am

Hi I am new to this list also, very nice site. I am a descendant of Philip Turner and Harriet Anderson; great granddaughter of Frances "Frank" Henry Turner born May 5, 1875. I have information on a lot of the family and some of it differs from what I have seen here. Would enjoy sharing information. Thank you - hope I did this right :)