Home | Ancestor Index | History | Forum |

JAMES TAYLOR (1791-1878)

Please feel free to post your questions or exchange information.
jerhardt

Re: JAMES TAYLOR (1791-1878)

Post by jerhardt » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:27 am

Yes I know that Alexander Taylor is buried in Bresaylor. However I am looking for the burial place for his father, James Taylor.

Thanks.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 am

James TAYLOR b-1791 died in 1878 and was buried in the Poplar Point Cemetery west of Winnipeg (MB).

Neil

Post by Neil » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:54 am

To Any Interested Person,

Samuel Taylor (1812-1894 amended here to 1811-1894) is not the son of Hudson's Bay Company Servant, James Taylor (1791-1878), as has previously been suggested. He is in fact the only known son of James Taylor, tenant farmer at Holland in the Orkney parish of Firth, in Scotland, and his second wife, Margaret Olay. There is no record of birth for him but his baptism was registered in the books of the united parishes of Firth and Stenness in January 1812 [Registrar General for Scotland, New Register House, Edinburgh, Baptisms Registered at Firth and Stenness, 1732-1819, reference OPR.17/1]. This identification is confirmed by a letter written in 1907 by his second son, the Reverend James Taylor (1850-1924), who speaks of his paternal grandfather as the "Laird of Holland" and his paternal grandmother as “Margaret Oliver, the Widow Goudie". She was in fact Margaret Olay and she had previously been married to a man named Joseph Goudie, with whom she had one child, a son named James Goudie who was born before 15 March 1794 [Orkney Library and Archives, 44 Junction Road, Kirkwall, Orkney, Letter written by James Taylor on 27 December 1907, which is addressed to his cousin, David Rendall, Midgarth, Rendall, Orkney, reference D1/695].

Kind Regards,

Neil

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:16 am

Thanks very much Neil. That was the information we were looking for. I have accordingly removed all reference to Sam TAYLOR in this Family Page and will revise and update the Page for Samuel at this link:
SAMUEL TAYLOR (1812-1894)

Also I will move your comments to the associated Forum where it will be of more relevance at this link:
FORUM DISCUSSING the SAMUEL TAYLOR FAMILY

bcyager

Post by bcyager » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi,

I am related to James Taylor through his son William Taylor and his son Donald Herbert Taylor. I was wondering about Donald Herbert Taylor's wife which was listed a Charlotte Shaw (Ankenam) but I also found a Charlotte Akinnum. Did the spelling get lost along the way?

My brief research shows Charlotte Akinnum to be in the same neighbourhood as Donald Herbert Taylor (Peace River)

Thanks

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:28 am

Welcome to the Forum Yager! First name?

I traced your lineage down to Harriet TAYLOR (b-1901) and Wes YAEGER (or YAGER?). Very interesting

Tell us more about your lineage to Charlotte AKINNUM in Peace River. What year and location was that?

bcyager

Post by bcyager » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:57 pm

gnstill wrote:Welcome to the Forum Yager! First name?

I traced your lineage down to Harriet TAYLOR (b-1901) and Wes YAEGER (or YAGER?). Very interesting

Tell us more about your lineage to Charlotte AKINNUM in Peace River. What year and location was that?

Charlotte Akinnum was born in Battle River near the Peace River in 1876 . She was married to Donald Herbert Taylor and settled in what is now called Taylor, B.C. I believe this would make Charlotte my great grandmother (Harriet Taylor being my grandmother).

I read a brief article that said that although she spoke English and French fluently (went to a mission school) she preferred to speak cree her native language.

Felix Akinnum (her father) was the stepson to Willam Shaw, a Hudson Bay clerk. Felix Akinnum's mother was originally married to a Beaver first nation member named Ateida or Atesta.

Charlotte Akinnum is sometimes referred to as Charlotte Shaw. (It took me a while to figure out the Shaw part).

I spell my name Yaeger but in some early documents about a relative it was spelled Yager.

gnstill
Site Admin

Post by gnstill » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:51 pm

Is your name Arlene?
With the information you provided I was able to discover all kinds of related information. You have some very interesting ancestors, and if I can find the time, I would love to do further investigations.
However, some of your particular lineages are not currently on my Priority List, so it might be some time before I get around to them. I frequently work with people to develop Special Family Pages on a priority basis due to my work load. More about that at this link: SPECIAL FAMILY PAGES

bcyager

Post by bcyager » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:00 am

Arlene is my aunt. My name is Robert.

I have looked into some of my ancestors and will continue to do so. It's very interesting stuff. I seem to have
a diverse group of relatives as I first noticed when I went to my grandmother's funeral many years ago (my first clue).

Thanks

KayOrange

Post by KayOrange » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:49 pm

This is amazing!!! I've taken it upon myself to unscramble my family tree, since no one else seems interested in it enough, and although not all dates match up with the Taylor family you have here, I was still able to confirm it's the one I'm related to by the matching names and dates. James Taylor is my great-great-great-great-grandfather, through his son, William Taylor I and his son, William Taylor II, his son Donald Taylor, his daughter and my Nana, Shirley Taylor, and her daughter and my mother, Leah Taylor. Besides James Inkster, James Taylor was the oldest ancestor my family could find; now I can add Alexander Taylor! :D Just out of curiosity, was Alexander Taylor the oldest Taylor you could find?